20 Random Draft Day Approaching Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Nah, outside of Young, none of the guys you listed were top 120 guys in terms of draft position. And Young has a chance to take a leap this year and be very good.
Am I the only one that feels that Young may be close to being maxed out? He is already 26 and may have benefitted greatly from the AD effect.

I think he may just be a secondary rusher that gets clean up sacks.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Am I the only one that feels that Young may be close to being maxed out? He is already 26 and may have benefitted greatly from the AD effect.

This yr will tell us. Kupp was an old rookie, look what he developed into

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
This yr will tell us. Kupp was an old rookie, look what he developed into
Yes we shall see this year. I hope you're right.

I don't think Kupp is a good comp though. Sure, he was an old rookie but he also had one of the most productive college careers ever and was an absolute technician at his craft. Neither of those things could be said about Young.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah, outside of Young, none of the guys you listed were top 120 guys in terms of draft position. And Young has a chance to take a leap this year and be very good.

Whats special about tol 120? Other top 120 picks (but non first round picks) in the McVay era include Noteboom, Gerald Everett, Josh Reynolds, Taylor Rapp, Cam Akers and Van Jefferson. Just missing the cut was Samson Ebukam.

All of those guys are barely league average on their best days, which isn't too far off from some of the guys I listed, which speaks to my point - outside of our first round pick, you can't assume any player picked will automatically be an upgrade over players like Kendrick, Yeast or Rozeboom even though we love to hate on those guys. If we believe they are that's great - but my point in saying that is that it's time for quality over quantity with this roster

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Whats special about tol 120? Other top 120 picks (but non first round picks) in the McVay era include Noteboom, Gerald Everett, Josh Reynolds, Taylor Rapp, Cam Akers and Van Jefferson. Just missing the cut was Samson Ebukam.

All of those guys are barely league average on their best days, which isn't too far off from some of the guys I listed, which speaks to my point - outside of our first round pick, you can't assume any player picked will automatically be an upgrade over players like Kendrick, Yeast or Rozeboom even though we love to hate on those guys. If we believe they are that's great - but my point in saying that is that it's time for quality over quantity with this roster
To add to this, stats show that about half of 1st round picks either bust or never amount to much (JAGs).

Last year was a near historic draft. We definitely cannot assume that we're going to get some major upgrade at any of our picks. Obviously, it would very disappointing if #19 wasn't a huge upgrade but the draft is always a crapshoot.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don’t feel that way. He’s a guy with immense physical talent and a drive to get better.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yes we shall see this year. I hope you're right.

I don't think Kupp is a good comp though. Sure, he was an old rookie but he also had one of the most productive college careers ever and was an absolute technician at his craft. Neither of those things could be said about Young.
He also played against lesser competition in college, outside of a few Pac12 games here and there.

Young did play in the SEC as raw college kid that came out of nowhere

Then why have a draft. F#ck it!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Yeah, f#ck the draft!! Who cares. No sense trying to draft good players in those first 3 rds...it's impossible.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
To add to this, stats show that about half of 1st round picks either bust or never amount to much (JAGs).

Last year was a near historic draft. We definitely cannot assume that we're going to get some major upgrade at any of our picks. Obviously, it would very disappointing if #19 wasn't a huge upgrade but the draft is always a crapshoot.
You can't assume anything, but odds are you are going to come away with a few solid players in those first 3 rds... Sure there will be a miss in there, maybe two, but the more shots at guys in that top 3rd of the draft the better.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
He also played against lesser competition in college, outside of a few Pac12 games here and there.

Young did play in the SEC as raw college kid that came out of nowhere

Then why have a draft. F#ck it!

Agreed. Further reasons why I don't think Kupp is a good comp for Young. One guy was very refined but against lesser competition, the other guy was raw.

You can't assume anything, but odds are you are going to come away with a few solid players in those first 3 rds... Sure there will be a miss in there, maybe two, but the more shots at guys in that top 3rd of the draft the better.
You're right. Odds are that they will come away with a few solid players in the first three rounds. But remember the context for this mini-debate: Quality vs Quantity.

What if we're not interested in a few solid players? What if we're looking more for elite players? To find that, odds would be much better to move up.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, f#ck the draft!! Who cares. No sense trying to draft good players in those first 3 rds...it's impossible.

Or....just focus more on the higher picks because they do have a higher chance of succeeding, rather than trading down and getting "a bunch of picks" (quality vs quantity) as a concept (i.e. don't trade down to accrue a bunch more top 120 picks)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Or....just focus more on the higher picks because they do have a higher chance of succeeding, rather than trading down and getting "a bunch of picks" (quality vs quantity) as a concept (i.e. don't trade down to accrue a bunch more top 120 picks)
Okay, what would you prefer, a trade scenario where you maximize your picks in terms of getting higher picks where you send 52 & 19 and get pick 13...to grab Bowers or Mitchell or Your top edge etc... then you package 99 & 83 to get say pick 64...

So would you prefer quality over quantity? Would you rather have... 13 & 64 vs. 19, 52, 83, 99?

dang

Legend
Okay, what would you prefer, a trade scenario where you maximize your picks in terms of getting higher picks where you send 52 & 19 and get pick 13...to grab Bowers or Mitchell or Your top edge etc... then you package 99 & 83 to get say pick 64...

So would you prefer quality over quantity? Would you rather have... 13 & 64 vs. 19, 52, 83, 99?
Let’s put potential names to this debate. I’m keeping it defensive players for easier comparison:

R1.13 -QMitchell/CB
R2.64 - M Hall/DT

-or-

R1.19 - Latu/Edge
R2.52 -KJenkins/DT
R3.83 - Bullock/S
R3.99 - CHart /CB

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

For me I like 19 and 52 vs 13 and 64.

I think giving up 52 to move up 6 spots is a bit much (my feeling on this draft is that the difference between pick 13 and 19 is less than picks 52 and 64).

But I wouldn't be opposed to trading up. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to trading down either if they have a pod of players similarly ranked.

Its more just the concept of saying "we need more picks" - I think that was true in previous years, now I think the focus needs to be "we need good players" - I don't even think all 11 picks could currently make this roster.