20 Random Draft Day Approaching Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I think if they go Cooper it is possible he ends up with Jones' job yes. He is a better athlete with more range I think.

But one factor here is the new DC and the fact his take will matter in the draft strategy. He may be prioritizing the ILB pairing. And if they hit on Cooper that gives them a dominant pair potentially to own that middle of the field.

To me it still feels like a luxury pick but there is logic for it yes.
Luxury unless they see a high end edge rusher in Cooper. He did show a ton of ability to rush the passer in collge
Don’t underestimate Coopers ability to play OLB/Edge too. May be a multi/tool weapon.
My thoughts exactly. If the Rams take him at all, I have to think its because of his ability to rush passers
Here’s what the Trade Value Chart says about the cost of moving up:

Pick No. 19 plus…

Pick No. 52 = Pick No. 11
Pick No. 83 = Pick No. 15
Pick No. 99 = Pick No. 17
Ouch. Our 2nd round pick to move up 8 picks? I'd pass quickly.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Here’s what the Trade Value Chart says about the cost of moving up:

Pick No. 19 plus…

Pick No. 52 = Pick No. 11
Pick No. 83 = Pick No. 15
Pick No. 99 = Pick No. 17
Would not hate the move up to #15.
I had always thought there was only one draft value chart - by Jimmy Johnson - and have since found out there are several.
Which one did you use?

WestCoastRam

Legend
If the Rams take him and have a plan for him then I'm fine with it. But generally speaking guys who can provide consistent pressure on QBs off the edge don't play ILB.
He seems like he'd be a nice change-up as a pass rusher but don't think you can ask for more.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Unless we give up next year’s first, that ain’t happening. We don’t have the draft capital for the trade it would take, unless he falls.
I firmly believe they would be willing to trade next year's 1st. I definitely wouldn't eliminate that as a possibility. If Odunze gets to around 10, I can see it happening.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Given that Stafford, Kupp and others are getting older, we need to increase our draft capital, not give it away.
Given that AD just retired and Stafford, Kupp and others are getting older, I think they may have some interest in fortifying the foundation of the team. They need younger difference makers to add to Puka.

dang

Legend
I feel they need quality more than quantity now. Getting a top 10 elite player would be better than just getting a bunch of average players.
I kinda disagree. I see needs at Edge, ILB, DE, CB2, FS, K, RB1B, LT and OC2. In addition depth on DL and WR would be nice. I want as many R1-R4 picks that they can get.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I kinda disagree. I see needs at Edge, ILB, DE, CB2, FS, K, RB1B, LT and OC2. In addition depth on DL and WR would be nice. I want as many R1-R4 picks that they can get.
I see the same needs so I understand why you want a surplus of picks.

But I also see that they just lost an elite player in Donald, Kupp is getting older, has health issues, and has possibly lost a step, and Stafford is getting older. These are foundational pieces - the types of players you build your entire team around.

And so they need to be replaced. Teams don't win Super Bowls with a gang of average players. They win on the backs of elite players. Find elite players first, fill in needs second.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
If they trade up it better be a player they can't live without because we are giving valuable capital away. Avila was a day 2 pick same with Jones.

I am not sure there is a CB, OLB or DT to trade up for, be ause all of them have been mocked as the best at their position which tells me no one is sure fire. Only the QBs, Harrison and ALT are listed in every mock basically the same. Even if the wrs maybe worth it we really need a ton of help on defense.

If there isn't a player we can't live without I say pick at 19 or move down 5 or so spots. I don't won't to move out of the first period too many great options at LT, CB, DT still on the board in the back half of the first.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well you have to cross reference that with the quality/quantity argument.

So for example, a "quantity" player is likely to be in the same realm as Kendrick/Durant/Tomlinson. Same for edge with Hoecht/Young, S with Yeast, and LT with Jackson.

Quality would be ensuring we get a FIRM upgrade at one of those positions, and I agree on that. Fans have a nasty habit of taking a midround prospect and assuming they will be better than a Kendrick or Yeast, just because its fresh blood. In reality those midround guys likely to end up in the same camp.

When you look at it in that light, some needs jump out more: Edge/DT for quality this year, K/RB2/C for "needed depth", and then LT/WR/CB for future quality needed, with S/ILB getting honorable mention for quality because those positions are less important in our defense.

This year more than ever, we are going to be able to draft "BPA", because edge/DT/LT/WR/CB are all positions of need either now or next season.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well you have to cross reference that with the quality/quantity argument.

So for example, a "quantity" player is likely to be in the same realm as Kendrick/Durant/Tomlinson. Same for edge with Hoecht/Young, S with Yeast, and LT with Jackson.

Quality would be ensuring we get a FIRM upgrade at one of those positions, and I agree on that. Fans have a nasty habit of taking a midround prospect and assuming they will be better than a Kendrick or Yeast, just because its fresh blood. In reality those midround guys likely to end up in the same camp.

When you look at it in that light, some needs jump out more: Edge/DT for quality this year, K/RB2/C for "needed depth", and then LT/WR/CB for future quality needed, with S/ILB getting honorable mention for quality because those positions are less important in our defense.

This year more than ever, we are going to be able to draft "BPA", because edge/DT/LT/WR/CB are all positions of need either now or next season.
Nah, outside of Young, none of the guys you listed were top 120 guys in terms of draft position. And Young has a chance to take a leap this year and be very good.