20 Random Draft Day Approaching Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. The Rams, who seem to be pretty good about avoiding information leaks, are playing this one close to the vest.

2. The first player I mocked to Rams, way back in October, was Laitu Latu. He is now on many "talking head" mocks as the Rams pick, but...

3. … unless several teams have taken him off their boards due to his medical record, I'm thinking he'll be gone long before pick 19.

4. I currently have Terrion Arnold going to us at pick 19. Not sure he'll be my pick when I do my final mock.

5. Excluding QBs (who really are not on my radar), here is my list of "don't even bother to call us about a trade if they are available" players: Joe Alt, Marvin Harrison, Jr., Rome Odune, Malik Nabers, Jared Verse, Dallas Turner, Laita Latu.

6. After those 7 guys are gone, I'm listening...

7. I also believe there is a universe in which the Rams pass on several high-end defensive prospects if a coveted LT is available. Lest we forget (Les certainly won't), the Rams used their top pick last year, and the largest percentage of FA dollars this offseason, on OL.

8. Is there a universe in which Alaric Jackson gets an offer with a 2nd round tender (doubtful), and...

9. …if he did, would the Rams be better off letting him go and going after (even if it means packaging the acquired pick in a trade) a top LT (intriguing)?

10. Cooper DeJean's pro day performance was quite good. Still think he's a great fit for us.

11. I'm interested in seeing if the Rams take a player to fill the now important role of KR. Some guys I really think could be great there are Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky, Dylan Laube, RB, New Hampshire, and Javon Baker, WR, UCF.

12. Is the decision not to extend Ernest Jones a "tell"? If we, for example, can land a guy like Edgerrin Cooper, Junior Colson or Payton Wilson on Day 2 of the draft, could he be a guy we allow to leave at the end of his rookie contract (potentially yielding a comp pick as a result)?

13. If Tre'Davious White can get and stay healthy, and play near the level he has in the past, he could end up being a bargain acquisition with an impact comparable to what we saw from Kevin Dotson last year.

14. If the Rams don't select a CB with one of their four top 100 selections, I wonder if Ahkello Witherspoon (whose price tag at this point would likely be reasonable) might be targeted for a return.

15. I have to believe the Rams will take a RB to back-up Kyren Williams. I'm guessing it will be one of the Rams' Round 5 picks. Lots of good options should be available.

16. Do we know ANY of the Rams "Top 30" visits?

17. I can think of many scenarios in which a trade back to load up on Day 2 (and, possibly, 2025) picks might be prudent...

18. ... but I'll be honest... I WANT TO SEE THE RAMS MAKE A SELECTION IN ROUND 1!!!!!

19. That 5th year option for first rounders should not be undervalued.

20. I truly believe that, in a few weeks, we'll be able to say that, despite Aaron Donald's retirement, the Rams will be starting 2024 with a much stronger roster than they had at the start of 2023.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*Listens

"Did you say Joe Alt?"

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
1. The Rams, who seem to be pretty good about avoiding information leaks, are playing this one close to the vest.

They have. Does that mean a surprise pick?

15. I have to believe the Rams will take a RB to back-up Kyren Williams. I'm guessing it will be one of the Rams' Round 5 picks. Lots of good options should be available.

It feels like a must. I think Zach Evan’s roster spot is for the taking, too.

13. If Tre'Davious White can get and stay healthy, and play near the level he has in the past, he could end up being a bargain acquisition with an impact comparable to what we saw from Kevin Dotson last year.

Yep, all he needs to do is stay healthy and he’ll be a bargain.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
They have. Does that mean a surprise pick?

It feels like a must. I think Zach Evan’s roster spot is for the taking, too.

Yep, all he needs to do is stay healthy and he’ll be a bargain.
A surprise pick, from the Rams? No way. The only surprises I could see at 19 would be OG, C, S, K, RB, and LB. But hey, that's 6 chances of blowing my mind.

Zach Evans, Alan Trammell, maybe Kendrick may all be in danger of losing a roster spot.

White is no doubt a high risk, high reward situation.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
12. Is the decision not to extend Ernest Jones a "tell"? If we, for example, can land a guy like Edgerrin Cooper, Junior Colson or Payton Wilson on Day 2 of the draft, could he be a guy we allow to leave at the end of his rookie contract (potentially yielding a comp pick as a result)?
I think if they go Cooper it is possible he ends up with Jones' job yes. He is a better athlete with more range I think.

But one factor here is the new DC and the fact his take will matter in the draft strategy. He may be prioritizing the ILB pairing. And if they hit on Cooper that gives them a dominant pair potentially to own that middle of the field.

To me it still feels like a luxury pick but there is logic for it yes.

dang

Legend
I think if they go Cooper it is possible he ends up with Jones' job yes. He is a better athlete with more range I think.

But one factor here is the new DC and the fact his take will matter in the draft strategy. He may be prioritizing the ILB pairing. And if they hit on Cooper that gives them a dominant pair potentially to own that middle of the field.

To me it still feels like a luxury pick but there is logic for it yes.
Don’t underestimate Coopers ability to play OLB/Edge too. May be a multi/tool weapon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don’t underestimate Coopers ability to play OLB/Edge too. May be a multi/tool weapon.
If the Rams take him and have a plan for him then I'm fine with it. But generally speaking guys who can provide consistent pressure on QBs off the edge don't play ILB.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Again if you listen/read Demoffs comments he is literally putting a price on draft picks via cap space. Basically says a trade up saves cap space it's like selling the picks.

So hypothetically if you move up your dumping "X" draft picks saving you "X" dollars possibly allowing you to again possibly draft Odunze or whomever they cover then add a veteran with the cap space you saved like a Matt Judon or an available Vet edge. I took his comments to mean exactly that almost like when snead SD goff is our QB for now.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again if you listen/read Demoffs comments he is literally putting a price on draft picks via cap space. Basically says a trade up saves cap space it's like selling the picks.

So hypothetically if you move up your dumping "X" draft picks saving you "X" dollars possibly allowing you to again possibly draft Odunze or whomever they cover then add a veteran with the cap space you saved like a Matt Judon or an available Vet edge. I took his comments to mean exactly that almost like when snead SD goff is our QB for now.
Odunze would be an amazing addition and a great fit. Not expecting it… but I’d be pretty happy to see us land him.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Ah hell, pull a near-Ditka.....trade all our picks to move up 3 times
....get Latu, Cooper and Odunze.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I don’t quite understand this. Aren’t draft picks assigned a salary according to when they were drafted? And isn’t the cap calculated with the top 51 on roster? So, if you draft 11 players who all make the roster, your cap # could possibly go down, depending on who they replace?

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I don’t quite understand this. Aren’t draft picks assigned a salary according to when they were drafted? And isn’t the cap calculated with the top 51 on roster? So, if you draft 11 players who all make the roster, your cap # could possibly go down, depending on who they replace?
Exactly my thought. To me, it would seem moving up to a top 10 pick is MORE expensive. Because that #6-10 pick guy has a much higher salary than #19, 52, etc.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I just know we need a tractor and not a trailer...." ~ @OldSchool

"SUMBICH stole my line!" ~ LACHAMP46

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here’s what the Trade Value Chart says about the cost of moving up:

Pick No. 19 plus…

Pick No. 52 = Pick No. 11
Pick No. 83 = Pick No. 15