#2 Quarterback?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The UCF radio guy is someone I talk to. He is very tight with Bortles. He told me several weeks ago that the Rams have an offer on the table for Blake. Apparently he's holding out on signing it just in case of an injury that might propel his value suddenly. No rush right now to sign in other words.

This guy is solid with his info too. Straight journalistic. So I think that we will see Blake back as long as he doesn't get a better opportunity somehow.

Just wondering when that offer was made ?? There are no guarantees either way. Will be interesting how it plays out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah... according to my guy who is tight with Blake... there's no hurt feelings in this. Bortles is just using patience in his decision process right now. Makes sense.

That’s the cool thing about McSnead, they have respect from there players.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ll only say PERKINS! No need to try and convince anybody here. Everyone will soon see what I’ve seen from the kid, that is, if there is a semi-normal camp and preseason. You are in for a treat.
He's perfect for the practice squad for sure. Get him some NFL seasoning and then could be viable

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He also throws inaccurately from any platform. lol.

I’d love to be surprised by Perkins because he can scramble and run... but his accuracy and processing speed aren’t good enough for this level. IMO

That's why he's a development QB, many feel accuracy can't be taught, but Lamar Jackson improved immensely in that area. Concur with @DR RAM that when Perkins gets out of rhythm, that is what leads to him missing his targets.

Bryce Perkins played at a top program that recruits are similar to Stanford & Notre Dame because of the academic requirements because of his leadership and athleticism, it propelled the Cavaliers to their best record in years and Perkins was basically their whole offense.

He's not ready to be a number two, but a year or two in the system playing a role similar to Taysom Hill is very possible. The kid does have incredible skills and from the neck up, he's special as well. I like to see him get an opportunity because I believe Perkins brings a skill set to the table no other Ram signal caller has in a very long time plus I like Bronco Mendenhall as a Head Coach and believe in his program as I expect more and more Virginia players to be drafted.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bryce Perkins played at a top program that recruits are similar to Stanford & Notre Dame because of the academic requirements because of his leadership and athleticism, it propelled the Cavaliers to their best record in years and Perkins was basically their whole offense.
Funny you bring this up, as a die hard Notre Dame fan, he scared the bejesus out of me last year. Coming off an unimpressive game again Old Dominion, I figured the Irish would mop the floor with the Cavs. But Perkins played out of his mind, and kept them in the game every time the Irish looked to have momentum. Funny thing I recall was even the announcers were commenting on how bizarre it was to see him perform so well, and throw so accurately.
On a side note, he wasnt exactly recruited to Va, he transferred there to replace Benkert after beginning at ASU, then junior college. Dude came back from a broken neck!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's me. Rest assured the backup position is locked tight.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who’s Gone: Blake Bortles

Is that an update or just speculation?
At the moment it's factual. He is not under contract with the Rams any longer.
Of course it could/should have said that the possibility of him returning to the Rams is still there

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Funny I was okay with Wolford until @Selassie I and his post about a contract is on the table for Blake Bortles, who IMO, is a perfect backup for Goff. Josh Love is driving me crazy because I keep typing "Jordan" Love and have to correct it...And Lord knows I've posted enough on Bryce Perkins.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I love alot about the 2020 Rams yet their are some obvious questions - OL, ILB, maybe K and OLB, but my biggest concern with the OL is the BU QB. When Brees went down Bridgewater came in for 5 games and outside of the Rams game he did a great job. I am seriously concerned about our BU QB. Everyone hates talking about it bc of the money associated with it bc they may not see the field but if there was ever an insurance policy needed it is at BU QB.

I 100% do not want to go into 2020 with Wolford no disrespect meant to him, I want a highly proven QB like Bottles to BU Goff. He knows the system and coaching staff. Wolford is too dicey to put in at the #1 position on the team.

Please address Snead so our Rams family can sleep better at night.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's why he's a development QB, many feel accuracy can't be taught, but Lamar Jackson improved immensely in that area. Concur with @DR RAM that when Perkins gets out of rhythm, that is what leads to him missing his targets.

He's not ready to be a number two, but a year or two in the system playing a role similar to Taysom Hill is very possible. The kid does have incredible skills and from the neck up, he's special as well. I like to see him get an opportunity because I believe Perkins brings a skill set to the table no other Ram signal caller has in a very long time plus I like Bronco Mendenhall as a Head Coach and believe in his program as I expect more and more Virginia players to be drafted.

Couldn't agree more with you, Den. I am concerned about Perkins' throwing mechanics. But he has a skill set that simply can't be taught. He could be our version of Taysom Hill: a quarterback who plays on teams, is used in gadget plays, can run, throw, receive, etc. And he has a good head on his shoulders.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A backup that can run... I like those. For a game or two, it works as a change-up.

So, Perkins fits this well. (y)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love alot about the 2020 Rams yet their are some obvious questions - OL, ILB, maybe K and OLB, but my biggest concern with the OL is the BU QB. When Brees went down Bridgewater came in for 5 games and outside of the Rams game he did a great job. I am seriously concerned about our BU QB. Everyone hates talking about it bc of the money associated with it bc they may not see the field but if there was ever an insurance policy needed it is at BU QB.

I 100% do not want to go into 2020 with Wolford no disrespect meant to him, I want a highly proven QB like Bottles to BU Goff. He knows the system and coaching staff. Wolford is too dicey to put in at the #1 position on the team.

Please address Snead so our Rams family can sleep better at night.

This is where I am, too. (y)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I just dunno what’s the best strategy re backup QB.

Goff has been like Gumby as far as resiliency and avoiding injury. The anti-Wentz, really. That’s huge.

Frankly, Bortles was not impressive to me. Iow, I don’t like paying a jag QB multimillions when other intriguing options are on the roster already.

Besides, I like Wolford and think he could get us some wins in this O if Goff does miss some games. I‘m also curious to see what some of these rookie QB’s might be able to show us, too. Who knows, if one or more really shine this summer we might have a future trade opportunity.

Let’s face it. If Goff goes down for an extended period, we are probably screwed, anyway.

You know, I guess I favor keeping Wolford and one rookie for the PS.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just dunno what’s the best strategy re backup QB.

Frankly, Bortles was not impressive to me. Iow, I don’t like paying a jag QB multimillions when other intriguing options are on the roster already.

IMO, I don't think we got a fair look at Bortles and I really like him as a backup to Goff because I do believe the Rams could win with Bortles. Bortles is big, has the arm to make all the throws and can run and extend the play. Now Wolford has some attributes and is scrappy, but I never like the word "Scrappy." because it indicates someone usually is lacking height & other talents usually associated with the position.

Plus Wolford wears #9 and remember Mike Martz made Jamie Martin change numbers because wearing 9, reminded him of Joe Germaine, who Martz could not stand....Well, Wolford looks like Joe Germaine!
1591117855836.png

1591118012722.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, I don't think we got a fair look at Bortles and I really like him as a backup to Goff because I do believe the Rams could win with Bortles. Bortles is big, has the arm to make all the throws and can run and extend the play. Now Wolford has some attributes and is scrappy, but I never like the word "Scrappy." because it indicates someone usually is lacking height & other talents usually associated with the position.

Plus Wolford wears #9 and remember Mike Martz made Jamie Martin change numbers because wearing 9, reminded him of Joe Germaine, who Martz could not stand....Well, Wolford looks like Joe Germaine!
View attachment 36791
View attachment 36793
Really sounds like you have a Pat Haden complex, den...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Really sounds like you have a Pat Haden complex, den...

I do, he was a determent to my childhood....Seriously I felt James Harris & Ron Jaworski were much better, but Rams Owner Carroll Rosenbloom loved Haden because of watching him at USC. Haden did not have the arm for the NFL and was a handicap and one of the reasons the Rams came up short in the playoffs.

It's no coincidence that the Rams finally advanced to the Super Bowl in 1979 because Vince Ferragamo could actually throw a football against the wind and deep....Haden was one of the major reasons that Rosenbloom fired George Allen after two preseason games, Haden really wanted Ray Malavasi.

I actually met Pat Haden once as my son & I were touring Notre Dame and Haden was the color commentator back then for the games and we were introduced to many people, but when I shook his hand (donning a Ram polo BTW) I said, "You were quite a college QB at USC." and he looked at my shirt and said, "You know I played for the Rams." and I responded "If you say so." and then my son said: "Those were some great games you had against Notre Dame." And we went on from there.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam

View attachment 36791
View attachment 36793

Totally, Agree!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A backup that can run... I like those. For a game or two, it works as a change-up.

So, Perkins fits this well. (y)
Should we merge this with the other QB thread? Seems like there's good discussion in each, just my .02

As for the backup, the #2 QB, folks have to remember that the role is to also run the offense in practice with the 2's and 3's, many of which will see game time. That's where you'd prefer the experienced guy, the guy who can run the team thru the progressions. Even with the roster expanding to 55, carrying 3 QB is a waste of roster space