#2 Quarterback?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Thus far, I have my doubts that Wolford has ever been given a legit opportunity to win a #2 job as he originally signed with the Jets as an undrafted free agent. That team used their 1st round pick that year on a QB (Darnold) and already had Teddy Bridgewater and Josh McCown on the roster. And last year, Blake Bortles was signed to be and immediately given the #2 job.

If no one else this signed, this might actually be his first legit shot at winning a #2 job.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Speaking of our version of Taysom Hill, I think that title could very well go to Cam Akers. He sure has some pretty impressive High School QB stats. Hopefully he will be utilized in a very unique way under McVay.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This guy is solid with his info too. Straight journalistic. So I think that we will see Blake back as long as he doesn't get a better opportunity somehow.

That is great news, I really like Bortles as the backup & it gives the Rams time to develop Bryce Perkins because nothing against Josh Love, but I concur with @Memento Perkins is very fast & would offer the Rams another dimension. John Wolford I like did some good things in preseason, but if something happen to Goff, I can't see him leading the Rams...He'll make one hell of a football coach someday.

Riser: Bryce Perkins, Virginia Quarterback
1590759870237.png

Nobody is talking about Virginia quarterback Bryce Perkins in the signal-caller pecking order, but perhaps we should start.

Even if an NFL team doesn't think he can cut it behind center, the Hoos' senior is proving every week he'll be able to play somewhere in the pros.

At 6'3", 215 pounds and running a 4.55 40-yard dash, Perkins has a unique skill set. It's one Reuters (via Yahoo Sports) thinks highly enough of to compare Perkins to Lamar Jackson "from a size and style perspective."

hat's high praise. Coach Bronco Mendenhall echoed the accolades.

"I don't think there's anything he can't do. There's not a play he can't make," he told NBC29.com's Mike Shiers. "I think Bryce Perkins changes the face of UVA football. This era certainly doesn't happen without Bryce at quarterback."

But, as the Reuters article states, "While talented, Perkins remains quite raw as a passer, too often throwing off his back foot and spraying the ball."

Virginia Tech would probably vouch for his ability. Perkins was instrumental in ending the Hokies' 15-year winning streak over the Cavaliers with an unreal performance in a 39-30 victory on Friday. Perkins completed 20-of-33 passes for 311 yards and a touchdown and ran for 164 yards and two more scores.

Regardless of what his position is in the pros, Perkins will have a spot somewhere.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864904-biggest-nfl-draft-risers-and-fallers-after-week-14-of-college-football

Last edited:

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
If the OL can't protect Goff, then the Rams will need a Perkins or several less mobile Qbs.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is great news, I really like Bortles as the backup & it gives the Rams time to develop Bryce Perkins because nothing against Jordan Love, but I concur with @Memento Perkins is very fast & would offer the Rams another dimension. John Wolford I like did some good things in preseason, but if something happen to Goff, I can't see him leading the Rams...He'll make one hell of a football coach someday.

Riser: Bryce Perkins, Virginia Quarterback
View attachment 36738

Nobody is talking about Virginia quarterback Bryce Perkins in the signal-caller pecking order, but perhaps we should start.

Even if an NFL team doesn't think he can cut it behind center, the Hoos' senior is proving every week he'll be able to play somewhere in the pros.

At 6'3", 215 pounds and running a 4.55 40-yard dash, Perkins has a unique skill set. It's one Reuters (via Yahoo Sports) thinks highly enough of to compare Perkins to Lamar Jackson "from a size and style perspective."

hat's high praise. Coach Bronco Mendenhall echoed the accolades.

"I don't think there's anything he can't do. There's not a play he can't make," he told NBC29.com's Mike Shiers. "I think Bryce Perkins changes the face of UVA football. This era certainly doesn't happen without Bryce at quarterback."

But, as the Reuters article states, "While talented, Perkins remains quite raw as a passer, too often throwing off his back foot and spraying the ball."

Virginia Tech would probably vouch for his ability. Perkins was instrumental in ending the Hokies' 15-year winning streak over the Cavaliers with an unreal performance in a 39-30 victory on Friday. Perkins completed 20-of-33 passes for 311 yards and a touchdown and ran for 164 yards and two more scores.

Regardless of what his position is in the pros, Perkins will have a spot somewhere.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864904-biggest-nfl-draft-risers-and-fallers-after-week-14-of-college-football

Interesting prospect. But man, it's gonna be hard, as an undrafted player, for him to stick to any NFL roster.

It just goes to show that there has to be more than 32 guys in the entire world that can start in the NFL as a quarterback. Which is why I personally (as a doofus, armchair GM :biggrin:) would never pay big money for a QB. Sure, you might have to run through several prospects, but I think you can find a quality QB on the cheap, especially since I believe QBs are overvalued these days (Kirk Cousins, cough, cough).

Too bad the NFL didn't have a legit minor league operation to develop players like Perkins.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Interesting prospect. But man, it's gonna be hard, as an undrafted player, for him to stick to any NFL roster.

There have been a few over the years and Kurt Warner of course, that is why the NFL has practice squads to develop QB's, but if the XFL comes back into existence that might be something they will be able to do.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As much as Cam Newton isn't getting any love here (no pun intended), the one thing he is doing is suppressing the market for guys like Bortles.

Most guys wouldn't want Newton as a #2, but they might as a #1. It's rare for a team to do a one year "prove it" deal with QBs with Newton's resume. The closest would be the Cousins' 3 year deal and that was hardly a prove it deal.

What does that mean? It means that Bortles has a very good chance of coming back to the Rams unless he wants to just take his chance at being an mid-season addition.

And honestly, that's a way to go. Several years in a row, you had guys take really small deals to be on a roster as the #2 or even #3 only to have a prime opportunity pop up in week 4 or something that would have given that guy both millions more dollars and a chance to start and earn some big guaranteed money.

So, I dunno. Would love to have him back, but at the same time, he didn't really show much in the pre-season. Then again, we always seem to play the Saints or other teams that think it's gonzo to use exotic blitzes in the first game of the pre-season...ugh.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah... according to my guy who is tight with Blake... there's no hurt feelings in this. Bortles is just using patience in his decision process right now. Makes sense.
What I expected to be the case, he'll be back if he cant get a better gig.
I guess my only wish would be that the Rams can at least sign him to a 1-2 year deal with low base and big incentives. That way if a starter goes down, he could be trade bait.

On a side note, I am completely amused by the love for Wolford. At best he's Austin Davis 2.0

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm rooting for Perkins. He has an amazing skill set, can throw from any platform, accurately. He has incredible awareness, for pressure, and was pressured often. Lamar Jackson, type elusiveness. My biggest problem with him is that pretty much all I saw, was one read plays. His career will be tied to his ability to read defenses.

On a side note, his trained at 3DQB, and actually trained right after Jared Goff's group, so he studied him. I wonder if Jared Goff studied him also.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I’ll only say PERKINS! No need to try and convince anybody here. Everyone will soon see what I’ve seen from the kid, that is, if there is a semi-normal camp and preseason. You are in for a treat.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm rooting for Perkins. He has an amazing skill set, can throw from any platform, accurately.

He also throws inaccurately from any platform. lol.

I’d love to be surprised by Perkins because he can scramble and run... but his accuracy and processing speed aren’t good enough for this level. IMO

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He also throws inaccurately from any platform. lol.

I’d love to be surprised by Perkins because he can scramble and run... but his accuracy and processing speed aren’t good enough for this level. IMO
Lol. From what I’ve seen he can be accurate, but when he gets out of rhythm, he can be consistently inaccurate. He had a terrible pass blocking OL. He’s very intriguing to me, and I am interested in his offseason progress, after working with professionals. I’d be interested in him as a hybrid player, for instance. Kind of like Taysom Hill.
IMO, he has “it”. If not at QB, he needs to play somewhere else. Why? Cuz I want to see him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What we don't need is a QB to come in here and start moving the furniture around.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Early 2020 position outlook: Quarterback

After examining the Rams' offense, defensive and special teams following the 2020 NFL Draft, theRams.com will take a deeper look at each position group as we get closer to the upcoming season. The quarterbacks are up first.

Who's back

Jared Goff: Completed 394 of 626 pass attempts for 22 touchdowns with 16 interceptions while starting in all 16 games.

John Wolford: Spent last season on the practice squad, but will have an opportunity to earn the backup job this season after the team let Blake Bortles become an unrestricted free agent at the start of the new league year.

Who's gone

Bortles: He served as L.A.'s backup to Goff, completing 1 of 2 pass attempts for three yards in the three games he appeared in.

Who's new

Josh Love: Undrafted free agent signee from San Jose State who was the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year and first-team All-Mountain West quarterback in 2019. His 3,923 passing yards as a senior were third-most in a single season in program history.

Bryce Perkins: Undrafted free agent signee from Virginia who he set the school single-season passing record with 3,538 yards and was an All-ACC second-team selection as a senior in 2019.

Key questions

Who will be the backup? Wolford has the experience having spent a year learning the Rams' offense, but Love and Perkins are both accomplished college quarterbacks who will get opportunities in the preseason to show what they're capable of.

What will Goff's ownership of the offense look like? When asked by a reporter this month how the former Cal standout can improve upon last season, Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell mentioned there being "two or three layers" to it. One was fundamentals, another was giving Goff more ownership of the offense entering his fifth NFL season and fourth working in head coach Sean McVay's system. The answer likely won't be known until closer to the middle of the upcoming season, or after a handful of games have been played, at least.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
1:35 mark... I remember that pass... went thru an insanely tight window when seen from another angle.

Crazy tight. Boom! Touchdown.