#2 Quarterback?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I like Bortles and wouldn't mind him coming back as the #2 as long as we don't pay too much. I do like the idea of a vet backup but if Bortles goes somewhere else I think Wolford would be ok unless they find a different veteran QB. I can't say anything about Perkins or Love since I've never watched them play but Wolford was fun to watch last preseason and im looking forward to seeing if he does better this year.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The most important position that doesn't play. IMO a vet or Bortles would be best for the Rams.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The most important position that doesn't play. IMO a vet or Bortles would be best for the Rams.
Lol! I would say that every player who doesn’t play is tied for least important! But I get what you’re saying. Still, Bortles had one good year and lots of failure. I would rather the team roll the dice with a promising youngster than a veteran with proven mediocrity.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is just not enough QB depth our there to lose your starter for a significant chunk of time and expect to win.

There aren’t many Foles and Bridgewater’s buried on depth charts.

So, knowing that... the season sort of hitches on not losing the starter except a few games max. So, yeah... find a starter that can win a few games knowing that’s all your season can afford to absorb anyway.

Lose the starter for more than that, you’re probably screwed anyway.

Maybe I am talking myself into the younger guys.

But certainly I am rambling... lol

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly.
The importance of a #2 cant be understated, and it has nothing to do with what happens if he should ever play. Got to have a guy that understands the system and can run practice with the 2 squad, and 1's. Having an inexperienced guy back there is a detriment to the other players on the practice field

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bortles as a backup would be nice. But honestly IF Goff misses significant time the Rams are probably out of the running in this division. The NFC West might give us 6x playoff-level matchups this season which is fucking nuts.

And for every '99 Rams or '17 Eagles storyline there are many more teams whose seasons were done the moment their starter went down. Would Bortles move that bar? It's impossible to say other than we're better off with him than a guy like Wolford or one of the rooks, obviously. But IMO it's not like Bortles is an ideal fit for this scheme.

Ideal fits are quick processors who make accurate throws. With Bortles at the helm of this offense we're a one and done playoff team at best because he's inaccurate and he's not a fast processor. He'd be a nice thing to have sure. But honestly I'm not too worried about whether the Rams sign him and I'd rather go get Warford and have a fucking rookie backup than pay Bortles. And I'm sure I'm in the minority there but just the way I see it.

I want McVay to have a young QB on this roster developing. Every year. Soaking up his expertise so we can flip that MFer for picks or potentially reap one of many other rewards of doing that.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Bortles as a backup would be nice. But honestly IF Goff misses significant time the Rams are probably out of the running in this division. The NFC West might give us 6x playoff-level matchups this season which is fucking nuts.

And for every '99 Rams or '17 Eagles storyline there are many more teams whose seasons were done the moment their starter went down. Would Bortles move that bar? It's impossible to say other than we're better off with him than a guy like Wolford or one of the rooks, obviously. But IMO it's not like Bortles is an ideal fit for this scheme.

Ideal fits are quick processors who make accurate throws. With Bortles at the helm of this offense we're a one and done playoff team at best because he's inaccurate and he's not a fast processor. He'd be a nice thing to have sure. But honestly I'm not too worried about whether the Rams sign him and I'd rather go get Warford and have a fucking rookie backup than pay Bortles. And I'm sure I'm in the minority there but just the way I see it.

I want McVay to have a young QB on this roster developing. Every year. Soaking up his expertise so we can flip that MFer for picks or potentially reap one of many other rewards of doing that.

There is something about your "young gun" approach which is appealing. However, we don't want to get into another Warner vs. Bulger situation.

I think the veteran backup approach is better because "we know who he is" is a stronger position when you're going to "war" than having a "most popular guy to never win a playoff game" approach can be when the "young gun" approach devolves into the "what have you done for me lately" type of pressure put on by the fans and the media... ultimately destroying team chemistry.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

That's because Bulger was good, but the perception that we could have another Bulger on our hands is what I was referring to.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's because Bulger was good, but the perception that we could have another Bulger on our hands is what I was referring to.
And Bulger was able to Watch high level Warner for 2 seasons before getting his chance.
Undrafted rookies? Yeah not the same thing as a Bulger

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I just dunno what’s the best strategy re backup QB.

Goff has been like Gumby as far as resiliency and avoiding injury. The anti-Wentz, really. That’s huge.

Frankly, Bortles was not impressive to me. Iow, I don’t like paying a jag QB multimillions when other intriguing options are on the roster already.

Besides, I like Wolford and think he could get us some wins in this O if Goff does miss some games. I‘m also curious to see what some of these rookie QB’s might be able to show us, too. Who knows, if one or more really shine this summer we might have a future trade opportunity.

Let’s face it. If Goff goes down for an extended period, we are probably screwed, anyway.

You know, I guess I favor keeping Wolford and one rookie for the PS.
Bottles may not be impressive to you, but he has vast starting experience and will read the defenses correctly and put the Rams in the best position to make LESS mistakes.

I emphasize the word less, because it can be that one or two plays that the QB reads something wrong or makes an errant throw that should never have been thrown that changes the entire game. Sure Bottles will make those mistakes same with Goff, my point is they will make less of them compared to a Wolford, Perkins etc. That is the true definition of a BU someone that can come in and make less mistakes than the guy below him.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
And Bulger was able to Watch high level Warner for 2 seasons before getting his chance.
Undrafted rookies? Yeah not the same thing as a Bulger

Yes, you're right. But Bulger was a sixth-round pick so I wasn't that far off. Anyway, it was meant to be a metaphor about going with a vet or a young gun who could accidentally end up supplanting Goff and causing our franchise to spin off into another lost decade...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, you're right. But Bulger was a sixth-round pick so I wasn't that far off. Anyway, it was meant to be a metaphor about going with a vet or a young gun who could accidentally end up supplanting Goff and causing our franchise to spin off into another lost decade...
Wasnt his draft position that made him different, it was that he had the luxury of sitting back and watching the GSOT hit on all cylinders for 2 seasons before being forced in to playing when Warner and Martin were injured. I would hope that we could have a QB that would step in if Goff were to get injured and play as well as Bulger. I dont see why that would be a bad thing.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Wasnt his draft position that made him different, it was that he had the luxury of sitting back and watching the GSOT hit on all cylinders for 2 seasons before being forced in to playing when Warner and Martin were injured. I would hope that we could have a QB that would step in if Goff were to get injured and play as well as Bulger. I dont see why that would be a bad thing.

Because we lost patience with Warner's hand injury as a result and ended up shipping him off for nothing. Anyway, I realize it's more complicated than that in terms of why the GSOT collapsed.