Your (personal) Greatest Sports Moment?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I also golfed when I was younger...wasn't very good. Maybe it was because I wore 2 pair of pants? Just in case I got a hole in one!!!

LOL for those wondering, I'll be here all week!
That's good to know... :cheese:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
You guys have to teach me how to bowl. I bowl twice a year with a friends and getting over 110 is considered a great game-- my best ever was like 153. :rofl:

I'll update my story later tonight.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I used to be a youth counselor for my city in my early 20's and I had the chance to coach a group of misfit Jr High school kids one year. This was an after school program that focused on keeping "at-risk" youth out of trouble. A lot of the time during practice we would just kind of sit around and talk about life and I would help the kids with homework issues and such. I took a real laid back approach and the kids enjoyed our "meditation time" they called it. Which probably explains why we sucked. I had a bunch of scrawny/chubby non-athletic boys and disinterested "don't wanna break a nail" girly girls on my team. We made it to the playoffs because EVERYONE made it in in our league and due to a lot of the other teams players not making it to the game we got to the championship game.

The team played with a lot of effort, despite their lack of talent and we were giving the championship team a run for their money. We were down 4-0 with 2 innings left. I gave a short speech to the team about just playing hard and not being intimidated by the other team. (They were talking trash and poking fun) Told the kids I was proud of them no matter what and I just wanted them to have fun out there, so don't try to prove anything to anyone but themselves. (Cheesy, I know) But it freaking worked!

The one decent player on the team ( total tomboy ) got me a double and then she scored after a walk and another couple hits. SO now we are down 4-2. We hold the team scoreless the last 2 innings and have one last chance to tie or win. The major advantage we had is that the coaches get to pitch for their team. We get an out and a base hit...then the biggest girly-girl on the team is up to bat and she usually does awesome in practice but she gets stage fright during games, so I go up and tell her to just pretend we are in practice and to just focus on the ball. I pitch it, and she cracks the shit out of the ball--- double. We get another hit, then an out. So it's runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs and we are down 4-2.

The chubby kid comes up to bat. I tell my runners to only run if it's safe to do so. I tell "chubby kid" to not be a hero, just make contact with the ball and get to base. He whiffs on 2 straight pitches, trying to swing for the fences. I tell him to just relax and hit it.... CRACK! he smacks it over the CF head, runners all GO! 2nd and 3rd score easily and "chubby kid" is heading for third as the throw starts to come in. I yell at him to stop and of course, he doesn't. His teammates are cheering him on and he's determined to make it home come hell or high water. SO I just get out of the way and watch it unfold. He heads for home and the throw is just off enough to allow him to slide in and score. Game over , we win! Some of the kids are crying and even I had to hold back tears. We all mob home plate and jump up and down like maniacs. It was a great day. I'll never forget it.

RamsOfCastamere

I have 2 stories.

The first is from high school. My sport is Track & Field, and the thing about it is that if you're not a D-1 prospect, you're not going to win shit. I was a sprinter and David Wilson was in my division (he wasn't even the fastest on his team :wow:), but collectively our 4x1 team was better than his and we qualified for Regionals. At Regionals, there were 13 teams in the 4x1, top 6 went to states. There were two separate heats, but instead of separating teams into 6 and 7, it was 8 and 5 for some reason. My team ran in the 5 team heat -- I was third leg. After the first exchange, 3 teams were left behind and it was neck and neck as my hand-off approached. The other team exchanged batons about .5 secs before my team, but I hawked the guy down, took the lead, and our final leg widened the gap. I was so excited because at that moment I thought we qualified for states. We ended up coming in 8th with a time of 44.34, 7th was 44.31 and 6th was 44.05. I still believe we could have made up that .3 secs if our heat was more competitive (9th- 44.60). Regardless, it was senior year and I've never made it to regionals before, so the whole thing was a blast.

In college, I took up Ultimate Frisbee. Funny story, I never played/nor heard of it as an organized, competitive sport before, but it was 2nd week of freshman year, and my roommate was all about it and asked me to go to tryouts -- he was my one of my few friends at the time, and I had nothing to do, so I figured why not? It was something different -- gameplay is kind of a mix of football and soccer -- and I fell in love with the sport that day. I made the A teams and he didn't haha.

Well, it's senior year at the B team sectional tournament-- I dropped out of A team by this point due to time commitment-- and we had to play VT. This was an important game to us because the B team hasn't beat them in a couple years, it was as my college, and the previous night I ended up meeting one of the players at a bar and started talking shit. That game we crushed them, and I was the X factor-- the go-to guy on offense and top defender on defense. We qualified for regionals, but neglected to go because it was during finals. Below are some pics of the tourny.

Here is a pic of me making a sky (frisbee term for a jump disc situation). At the bar, I was talking shit to the guy in the hat :heh:
550344_4548709238774_1170383837_n.jpg

Here is a layout D (defensive play) I made against JMU the day before
531896_4547807096221_238233297_n.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a big Ultimate Frisbee guy, Castamere. I enjoy hitting way too much. It's why I hate flag football. I can't really play either because I play really out of control haha.

RamsOfCastamere

I'm not a big Ultimate Frisbee guy, Castamere. I enjoy hitting way too much. It's why I hate flag football. I can't really play either because I play really out of control haha.

I love hitting too, played CB when I was younger, but I needed something to do in college. Not many options exist outside of Rugby.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love hitting too, played CB when I was younger, but I needed something to do in college. Not many options exist outside of Rugby.

I've been lucky enough to have some friends that get together every so often to play pick-up tackle football so that helps.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well I have had the priviledge to coach our hs baseball team in the summer each of the past nine years and although we are a smaller class AA school during hs, we play in a AAA and AAAA league in the summers.

Through the years our talent base grew and grew (4 state championships in 9 years) and the last 4-5 summer teams have been off the chart great...well in 2011 we became the first NON 3A or 4A team to win the BCCL championship in 20+ years. We were so good one of the coaches said we should have been in the Big east instead.

What a blast it was! I still have the article bookmarked from the newspaper...will have to share it some time.

Last summer was my final year as coach because my youngest son is now too old for that leage and he has big asperations to play in college, he's a junior in hs now and he'll be playing in a league in Youngstown, OH this summer and I won't miss that for anything. But I will never forget the summer of '11.

Great topic by the way.

Nice story.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
OK since this thread has gone on this long IMA post my second greatest sports moment.
When Rickey Proehl caught the TD pass that won the NFC Championship for us I literally lost the ability to stand and fell back into my chair ,even "the tackle" didn't have that sort of effect on me.