Your Favorite Sports Announcers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Grew up in the Bay Area. Despite hating the raiders, I loved Bill King. He also did the A’s and the Warriors during his career—all 3 in the same year at one point. All three of those teams won championships during his tenure. He was awesome. My all time guy.

I used to love listening to Hank Stramm do Monday night games on the radio. You could just picture the formation and he pretty much deduced correctly what play was coming all night long. He was vastly underrated.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Agree with everything but Buck. I can't stand that Ram hater. Odd that they put him with Aikman.

Fair enough.
He usually sits in Aikman's shadow throughout the game as far as knowledge goes.
Classic case of the co-commentator outweighing the lead.

sloramfan

Starter
vin scully... the best...

chick hearn... the best...

everyone else... and i do mean EVERYBODY... second best...

go rams

slo

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Vin and Chick were the best.

Remember when Chick hosted that show "bowling for dollars"?

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
For current NFL announcers I second Charles Davis and I also enjoy listening to Collinsworth.

The worst...Brian Griese in a landslide.
Griese is like nails on a chalkboard with his "he said look" crutch. Everyone he talks too says "look" first thing. Not buying it. Even Aikman's "we talked about" crutch isn't as annoying.

Favorite football announcers (all-time):

Summerall/Brookshier

Summerall/Madden

Gifford/Cosell/Meredith

Enberg/Olsen

I liked Scully for football too with pretty much any color man like Hank Stram, Paul Hornung, or George Allen.

Shout out to Bob Starr, Rams radio guy in the 80s

Currently I like Romo, and Sanchez is getting bettter. Also fine with Shlereth and Spielman. Chris Myers sounds robotic but he seems to like the Rams a little so I can tolerate him.

Favorite Baseball (all-time):

Vin Scully/Joe Garagiola

Skip Caray

Favorite Basketball (all-time):

Chick Hearn/Stu Lantz

Dick Stockton with Bill Russell or Hubie Brown.

On the worst ones: Anyone who still slobbers over Tom Brady I just briefly mute or switch channels. Buck doesn't annoy me as much as everyone else. Collinsworth also doesn't annoy me as much as everyone, only when he's wrong I call him "worthless." Beth Mowins is annoying because it always sounds like she chews the inside of her cheek, plus tries too hard to sound like Marv Albert. Albert's Jordan-love hasn't endeared me to him in the past but he's not on my worst list. Just too many "Jordan...............YES!" shouts for my liking.

For old school I never liked Dierdorf on MNF. How could anyone listen to Johnny Most, plus he was a huge Celtics homer. Hot Rod Hundley was also very tough to listen too with that grinding style of his. That old school Whiner's radio guy could get really annoying... my friends and I made fun of the way he purposely dragged his R's when he shouted their team name. On radio Butkus was rough and a huge homer but not annoying. It was funny when his homerism busted through, especially in 1985. That 1999 Rams radio guy was so bad I still cringe when I hear him in any '99 highlights.

Last edited:

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Vin and Chick were the best.

Remember when Chick hosted that show "bowling for dollars"?
Lordy do I remember that show! Some of the contestants looked like they were scraped out of a trailer park at 3 in the morning or they just got returned to earth after a stint on a alien ship or something.
I mean Chick would try to get a decent convo going with some of 'em but after a few seconds I'm yelling at the TV like, "just have 'em throw the ball, I don't want to hear anymore of their experiences working the graveyard shift at the Waffle Hut or whatnot."

Classic show in some unique ways but really didn't miss it when it was finally (mercifully?) canceled.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t know why, but Joe Buck always seems less than authentic, like he’s practicing in front of a mirror…annoying to me.
My all time favorite thing as a kid, was watching halftime highlights on Monday Night Football narrated by Howard Cosell. Growing up in tiny Molalla, Oregon…saw very few Ram games, so looked forward to a few highlights from Howard. He had a knack of making you think the players on your team were great!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don’t know why, but Joe Buck always seems less than authentic, like he’s practicing in front of a mirror…annoying to me.
My all time favorite thing as a kid, was watching halftime highlights on Monday Night Football narrated by Howard Cosell. Growing up in tiny Molalla, Oregon…saw very few Ram games, so looked forward to a few highlights from Howard. He had a knack of making you think the players on your team were great!
So spot on about Buck.

And I used to drive through Molalla all the time. My wife and I went to that bar with the white horse out front a couple times and we used to go to - was it called Molalla Days? I worked in Fairview and then Boring at the time - lived in Woodburn.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So spot on about Buck.

And I used to drive through Molalla all the time. My wife and I went to that bar with the white horse out front a couple times and we used to go to - was it called Molalla Days? I worked in Fairview and then Boring at the time - lived in Woodburn.
Wow, what a small world….the biggest event growing up was the Molalla Buckeroo…a not half bad rodeo for such a small town…always scheduled to encompass the 4th of July. And of course the White Horse Inn, Molalla’s most iconic bar.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wow, what a small world….the biggest event growing up was the Molalla Buckeroo…a not half bad rodeo for such a small town…always scheduled to encompass the 4th of July. And of course the White Horse Inn, Molalla’s most iconic bar.
Yeah. We took our boys to that rodeo a couple times. We actually almost bought a house just outside of Molalla right on the Molalla river. 5 acres but the house was badly ravaged in the '96 floods. Too bad too. It was a pretty cool place and had a really cool swimming hole.

W e used to do pretty well steelhead fishing on that river.

BTW... Do you know where the Alpenrose Dairy is in Portland? We lived right across the fence from it when we lived in Portland. They had the girls softball world series there, a 1/4 midget track, a little western town, and a real shooting gallery with live 22 rounds. They also had a kids rodeo called the Little Buckaroo. The Cadenaughs that owned were really cool people and constantly fought the city to prevent it from being rezoned as multi-family - which would have driven a real iconic piece of Portland out of business.

Last edited:

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
None of these guys, I can tell ya that!!

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Baseball - Phil Rizzuto was the best to listen to for amusement. Buck and Scully though Curt Gowdy brings back some great memories.
Football - Ray Scott has a special place in my heart "This is Snow". Summerall and Madden together with Vern Lundquist right there in college with Keith Jackson " whoa nelly"
Basketball - Marv Albert "Yes and it counts"
Hockey - Dan Kelly - "A drive"
Boxing - Don Dunphy
Immediately prior to the opening kickoff of the 1969 NFL Western Conference Championship game, Ray Scott:
"ALVIN HAYMOND and RON SMITH are DEEEP" gave this 11 year old chills.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Pat Summerall
When the RAMS played the Giants at the Meadowlands in 2000, during the pregame introduction he mentioned the absence of Warner and Faulk from the lineup and referred to them as "so-called superstars". That was the most blatant anti-RAMS statement I recall him making over the years but there were more. I even mentioned his bias to a colleague prior to the 2001 NFC Divisional playoff game against the Pack and after watching and being alerted to it, he agreed his commentary was slanted.
And then, he did cut in line for his liver transplant, so there is that.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
When the RAMS played the Giants at the Meadowlands in 2000, during the pregame introduction he mentioned the absence of Warner and Faulk from the lineup and referred to them as "so-called superstars". That was the most blatant anti-RAMS statement I recall him making over the years but there were more. I even mentioned his bias to a colleague prior to the 2001 NFC Divisional playoff game against the Pack and after watching and being alerted to it, he agreed his commentary was slanted.
And then, he did cut in line for his liver transplant, so there is that.

Well, ouch. Someone sure holds a grudge. Enjoy.

Aint nobody got time for that shit.