Your Favorite Sports Announcers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
All-time favs, 1a) Vin Scully and 1b) Chick Hearn.

Chick was so idiosyncratic, he was like no other voice in the NBA...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Vin Scully was the best

If the St Louis Announcer that Memento stated was the same announcer in 1977, I have to heartily disagree with her.

I was in St Louis listening to a Dodger game in 1977 and I was unaware at the time how crappy announcers could be.

Maybe that announcer is an acquired taste or was a different announcer at the time.
Excuse me, but Jack Buck was an amazing announcer, so amazing, in fact, that he did primetime NFL games as well as calling every Cardinals game.

Tano

Legend
Excuse me, but Jack Buck was an amazing announcer, so amazing, in fact, that he did primetime NFL games as well as calling every Cardinals game.
Was he announcing in 1977?

The one I heard as a kid was horrible but then again I might be getting him confused with the SF announcer

In the most deadpan voice I can muster

Deep fly ball to left field. If it is fair, it's gone. It's fair. It's gone.

And I mean deadpan.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Was he announcing in 1977?

The one I heard as a kid was horrible but then again I might be getting him confused with the SF announcer

In the most deadpan voice I can muster

Deep fly ball to left field. If it is fair, it's gone. It's fair. It's gone.

And I mean deadpan.

I don't know. But this is one of his most famous calls:

Memento

Name
Jemma
That scoreboard was taunting me. I feel triggered.

Hey, you can at least say that you have the most recent WS win? And that you kicked our asses in the Wild Card game last year?

Ramon Ram

Starter
Baseball - Phil Rizzuto was the best to listen to for amusement. Buck and Scully though Curt Gowdy brings back some great memories.
Football - Ray Scott has a special place in my heart "This is Snow". Summerall and Madden together with Vern Lundquist right there in college with Keith Jackson " whoa nelly"
Basketball - Marv Albert "Yes and it counts"
Hockey - Dan Kelly - "A drive"
Boxing - Don Dunphy

Tano

Legend
I don't know. But this is one of his most famous calls:

Yeah that is not the guy I heard in 1977.

I remember Jack Buck now but Vin Scully is still the best.

Cardinal fans may feel otherwise but nationally I bet Vin Scully was much more popular that Buck.

Same with Chick Hearn vs the Boston Celtics Announcer

Only Boston fans will state he was better than Hearn.

Tano

Legend
Hey, you can at least say that you have the most recent WS win? And that you kicked our asses in the Wild Card game last year?
Would you believe the only reason I passed the CPA exam for the Audit and Law sections in 1985 was because of Neidenfuer throwing a home run pitch to Jack Clark in the final game.

I was yelling at the screen - walk him - you have first base open - Andy Van Slyke on deck with Jerry Reuss in the bull pen.

Walk him you dumbasses - WALLLLLLLKKKKKK HIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

First pitch - right down the middle - 3 run home run

I turned off the TV right after the final pitch - and spent the next 4 weeks before the exam just studying. I didn't do anything else those days. Eat Sleep Study with a 2 hr break to watch Voltron He-Man and a couple other TV cartoons because I needed some dumb ass shows to watch and let my brain ease up a little.

I think that was the only time I was beyond ticked at a sporting event. I have been disappointed frequently but never so pissed off in my life at a really stupid ass move since Neidenfuer had already pitched 3 plus innings.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yeah that is not the guy I heard in 1977.

I remember Jack Buck now but Vin Scully is still the best.

Cardinal fans may feel otherwise but nationally I bet Vin Scully was much more popular that Buck.

Same with Chick Hearn vs the Boston Celtics Announcer

Only Boston fans will state he was better than Hearn.

Pretty sure that Buck did Monday Night Football games. He was incredibly popular as an announcer.
Frickin' Niedenfuer...

Sorry.

Tano

Legend
Pretty sure that Buck did Monday Night Football games. He was incredibly popular as an announcer.
Monday Night Football or Monday Night Baseball?

I know Michael Jackson has been doing Monday Night Football for a long time

Tano

Legend

Scully did the World Series, Sunday Football on CBS and Golf

Memento

Name
Jemma

Hmm...now that I've looked it up, he did a ton of stuff for CBS. Football, baseball, boxing, even called hockey one season (before Dan Kelly). And his "For America" poem (that he wrote after 9/11) was awe-inspiring.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

Sorry.
LOL, no worries.

First came the Smith HR and the Clark homer in Game 6. He was never the same pitcher after that series.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Back when TBS broadcast Braves games either Ernie Johnson or Skip Carey (I forgot which) said the below about a couple seated in the nose bleed section and making out that the camera had focused on:

"He's kissing her on the strikes while she's kissing him on the balls."

Long awkward silence ensued with, no doubt, much hilarity off mic.