WR BIGGEST CAMP BATTLE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's your "best guess" list, Roman.

Please When it all shakes out, this is my humble guess, assuming we keep six:

1. Tavon Austin
  2. Pharoh Cooper
  3. Kenny Britt
  4. Brian Quick
  5. Mike Thomas
  6. Duke Williams
  7. Nelson Spruce
  8. Marquez North"
Very, very hard to argue with your assessment as of 8/4, especially given the various positive camp reports that I've seen.

And it would be foolish on my part to ignore the eyeball reports from the camp reporters.

I've gotta admit that both Quick and Williams are showing up much better than I expected. But who wouldn't love to see a couple more tall, fast, and physical WR's on the roster than expected?

Further camp reports and the preseason games at WR are gonna be fun to follow.

Anybody else feeling the electricity in our developing passing O?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think that our receiving group shakes out like this:

Tavon Austin.
Kenny Britt.
Pharoh Cooper.
Mike Thomas.
Duke Williams
Bradley Marquez.

I can't see them cutting Thomas with the way he's been playing. I personally think that he can take over for Brit, given enough time and reps.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does it seem that we are a bunch of Charlie Browns, about to kick the "Quick" football, before it gets pulled out (injured) again? Quick is an illusion, imo, I'd rather take a chance on a younger guy in his place......

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Id rather give the young guys a shot, but I could see the Rams keeping Quick if he shows well in the preseason. I think they are looking for size and Tavon will play more in the slot this year

How I see the Rams picking the WRs
1. Austin
2. Britt
3. Quick
4. Cooper
5. Marquez
6. Thomas

PS: Williams
PS: Spruce

How I would pick WRs
1. Austin
2. Britt
3. Cooper
4. Thomas
5. Williams
6. Marquez

PS: Spruce
PS: North

Ramzee

Rookie
Pouring through all my photos, about like 8k over the last 2 days, I've seen easily more than a half dozen Quick TD's in the red zone. Especially on fades and 50/50 jump balls. He's really been putting up the points. I don't think he's going to be going anywhere off the roster anytime soon if he continues at this rate.

Stuff like this.

brian-quick-td-back-of-ez.jpg

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Pouring through all my photos, about like 8k over the last 2 days, I've seen easily more than a half dozen Quick TD's in the red zone. Especially on fades and 50/50 jump balls. He's really been putting up the points. I don't think he's going to be going anywhere off the roster anytime soon if he continues at this rate.

Stuff like this.

brian-quick-td-back-of-ez.jpg

Looks and sounds good, Ramzee.

But here's the big question. Can he make those plays in a real game when it counts?

Or is he just making them in practice 'cause he knows he's not gonna get clobbered?

Ramzee

Rookie
Looks and sounds good, Ramzee.

But here's the big question. Can he make those plays in a real game when it counts?

Or is he just making them in practice 'cause he knows he's not gonna get clobbered?
No clue. There is a question about the level of competition and how early in camp it is.

All I know is, he offers something the rest of the Rams WR's really don't and that's size in the red zone. I sincerely doubt they'd give him up unless he was really playing poorly. With the amount of targets he's gotten in the end zone, I have to imagine he figures prominently into the teams future red zone plans.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
No clue. There is a question about the level of competition and how early in camp it is.

All I know is, he offers something the rest of the Rams WR's really don't and that's size in the red zone. I sincerely doubt they'd give him up unless he was really playing poorly. With the amount of targets he's gotten in the end zone, I have to imagine he figures prominently into the teams future red zone plans.

I hear ya, Ramzee.

Gotta trust the coaches on this one. Sounds like at least 8 WR keepers are emerging so far, huh?

Gonna be some excruciating cuts coming just before opening day.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't envy the coaches if the group as a whole keep this momentum going. And I think it will, because I believe Groh is gettin it done as a teacher of the fundamentals this group has lacked.

And re: Quick and Britt... Thing is they might actually improve the most IF there is a significant upgrade in coaching which is what we might be looking at here. But with those guys there is also a business side, i.e. number of years of club control, so I could see the Rams electing to keep only one of them.

This thing's gonna come down to preseason and who shows in game, either way, and that's the way it has to be. There will be some separation throughout the remainder of camp, but it's gonna come down to execution in live reps in-game, and with the guys on the bottom half of the roster it'll be how well they can be counted on special teams roles.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I like the idea of having the right mix of big guys and small guys at wr.

Britt, quick, tavon, Thomas on the outside.

Cooper, tavon, williams, higbee in the slot.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't envy the coaches if the group as a whole keep this momentum going. And I think it will, because I believe Groh is gettin it done as a teacher of the fundamentals this group has lacked.

And re: Quick and Britt... Thing is they might actually improve the most IF there is a significant upgrade in coaching which is what we might be looking at here. But with those guys there is also a business side, i.e. number of years of club control, so I could see the Rams electing to keep only one of them.

This thing's gonna come down to preseason and who shows in game, either way, and that's the way it has to be. There will be some separation throughout the remainder of camp, but it's gonna come down to execution in live reps in-game, and with the guys on the bottom half of the roster it'll be how well they can be counted on special teams roles.

Good catch on the Groh influence, Merlin.

I continue to be more and more impressed with Groh as we hear these positive WR camp reports.

Ramzee

Rookie
I hear ya, Ramzee.

Gotta trust the coaches on this one. Sounds like at least 8 WR keepers are emerging so far, huh?

Gonna be some excruciating cuts coming just before opening day.
Yeah, I think you're right. It's going to be some tough cuts out there and just gotta trust the coaches.

Cooper needs to get better and start getting some reps, there's a lot of young talent out there to compete against.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Must the Rams consider Tavon Austin in that final WR tally?

TA can be an highly effective Special Teams Ace Returner, #1 slot receiver, #3 RB behind Gurley & Cunningham & finally be our 3rd outside receiver during games. Guess I look at TA as a half receiver quarter RB & quarter ST Ace.

If the Rams keep four H-Back/FB/TE's types (Harkey/Kendricks/Higbee/Hemingway) will that play in to the number of wide receivers we have on the 53 player roster ?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Must the Rams consider Tavon Austin in that final WR tally?

TA can be an highly effective Special Teams Ace Returner, #1 slot receiver, #3 RB behind Gurley & Cunningham & finally be our 3rd outside receiver during games. Guess I look at TA as a half receiver quarter RB & quarter ST Ace.

If the Rams keep four H-Back/FB/TE's types (Harkey/Kendricks/Higbee/Hemingway) will that play in to the number of wide receivers we have on the 53 player roster ?
I don't know if the Rams will play TA in the slot with all the new weapons. He played a very small percentage there last season. I think you have a great idea but if he gets hurt that will kill your depth.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Britt just seems like a wasted roster spot and money.

Britt made some beautiful catches last season. The rare times the ball was within his wing span, dude fought for it and consistently brought it down. Dude is underrated IMHO, but we will see because he's not going anywhere.