Would you trade for Josh Gordon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Weirdest thread derailment ever.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, that actually happens with just about any ship that sinks. Creates a vacuum that sucks anything in a certain radius down with it. Awful way to go. One of the reasons why I can't stomach looking at the Titanic crash site pictures. It makes me physically ill, knowing that it's basically the grave of so many people.

My understanding is that it's not so much that things are sucked down as that turbulent water (like that created immediately around a sinking ship) has a lot of air bubbles in it - which of course are far less dense than water. So things like humans that would normally float on the water find themselves sinking in the air/water mixture. Much like Gordon's career is sinking.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My understanding is that it's not so much that things are sucked down as that turbulent water (like that created immediately around a sinking ship) has a lot of air bubbles in it - which of course are far less dense than water. So things like humans that would normally float on the water find themselves sinking in the air/water mixture. Much like Gordon's career is sinking.

Yeah, that's what I just found out reading the link I posted. You learn something new every day, I suppose.

Athos

Legend
Am I allowed to point out that the Titanic DIDN'T spot trouble miles away? ;)

Well, among a great many failures of that voyage, they also had no binoculars. And had they full stopped and hit it head on, they would not have sunk, or if they did, it would have been super slow and the ship would not have torn apart.

Psycho_X

Legend
Not to put this thread back on subject but F*** NO I wouldn't trade crap for him. It'd be one thing if he was simply a dumb kid with an alcohol problem like a Leonard Little or what not. But he has serious criminals bailing him out of jail and hangs with some violent characters. After the Aaron Hernandez situation I wouldn't touch someone like Gordon until he's proven over a long period of time that he's clean and starting a new life.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Josh Gordon urged to seek help for substance abuse
By Matt Verderame@MattVerderame

20140521_mje_aw3_044.jpg.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports

The talented but troubled superstar is getting support from the outside to help fix his issues before it is too late.

Since being arrested on Saturday morning, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon has received an outpouring of support from those around him, including current and ex-NFL players urging him to get professional help with his off-the-field situation.

Ed Werder ✔ @Edwerderespn

Sources tell me that some close to Josh Gordon urging him to seek professional assistance for substance-abuse issues part of life since HS

keith bulluck ✔ @kbull53

Everybody wanna talk about Josh Gordon but no ones trying to help smh...the cycle continues

Cecil Shorts III ✔ @CecilShortsIII

Instead of attacking Josh Gordon, pray for him! It's crazy to me how we judge people when we all are battling with our own faults and issues

Phil Taylor ✔ @PhilTaylor98

These so called fans talking trash about my teammate are childish. You don't know him or what he's going through. Try helping him instead!

D'Qwell Jackson ✔ @DQ52

If you're close to Josh Gordon please help this kid, it's not about football anymore it's about picking up the pieces of his life.

Then there is Hall of Fame wide receiver Cris Carter, who has plenty of experience with substance abuse issues. Carter came into the league via the supplemental draft with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1987 before being released in 1989 due to his off-field problems, including alcohol and drug abuse.

"I feel for the kid, because my situation was very, very similar," Carter said on ESPN radio. Carter continued to talk about what could finally turn the tide in Gordon's fight against addiction.

NFL on ESPN ✔ @ESPNNFL

"If I'm the Browns, the only thing that's going to help this kid is if they release him" - Cris Carter on @MikeandMike regarding Josh Gordon

Less important but still relevant is Gordon's professional career. Should he stay with the Browns, and where does his career go from here, assuming a lengthy suspension is in the offing?

On the morning of July 5th, Gordon was arrested for Driving While Impaired in Raleigh, North Carolina, before being bonded on Saturday afternoon. The incident was the first time Gordon has run afoul of the law since joining the Browns in 2012, but his issues have continued to crop up in other ways.

Jon Stinchcomb of SB Nation's blog Dawgs By Nature writes that the Browns should be prepared to move on at least for this season and perhaps into the extended future.

This is a new rock bottom.

But the prospect of losing this elite, league-leading receiver for a long time should have set in by now. The Browns have known about the earlier violation and impending suspension since before this year's draft, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. The team has had plenty of time to prepare.

If Gordon was in their Plan A, it's time to thinking about executing Plan B.

Gordon is facing something much scarier than going across the middle with a safety closing fast. Gordon, who led the league in receiving yardage last season despite being suspended for the first two games for violating the NFL's drug policy, is facing a potential season-long ban for failing his second drug test.

Despite having a prolific career with the Baylor Bears in college, Gordon was dismissed from the team due to failing multiple drug tests. The dismissal landed Gordon in the supplemental draft, where Cleveland snatched him up in the second round.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I'd think very hard about putting in a waiver request at least. I bet someone claims him on waivers if the Browns cut. Remember the Rams were the only team to put one in on Titus.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd think very hard about putting in a waiver request at least. I bet someone claims him on waivers if the Browns cut. Remember the Rams were the only team to put one in on Titus.
There was a reason for that.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A waiver request would be fine - all it would cost the Rams would be a spot on the 90 man roster - so a camp body would be cut. But why would the Browns just waive him? He's likely to be suspended all season, so they have a year to see if he somehow manages to get cleaned up and stay out of trouble.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Josh Gordon driving NBA first-rounder’s car when busted for DWI
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 7, 2014

a31fc644007f55059e2308ee42b048e5.jpeg
AP

As it turns out, Josh Gordon’s weekend could get more interesting.

According to WRAL Sports, the Browns wide receiver was driving a Cadillac Escalade registered to Hornets first-round pick P.J. Hairston when he was stopped for DWI in Raleigh N.C. early Saturday morning.

That puts a bow on the first part of the story, since Gordon’s bond was paid by convicted felon Haydn “Fats” Thomas.

Thomas is the Triangle hustler who had rented the car in which Hairston was arrested in during his college days at North Carolina.

Of course, Hairston, who grew up in nearby Greensboro, just vowed that all his past transgressions were behind him when he was chosen by the in-state NBA team owned by Michael Jordan.

Hairston was then accused of punching a high school player during a pickup game Sunday, though no charges have been filed in that one.

This is why NFL teams worry most about this month, before players go to camp. And why NBA owners should too.

Cris Carter thinks the Browns should cut Josh Gordon
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 7, 2014

criscarter.jpg
AP

Cris Carter was once a lot like Josh Gordon: One of the most talented receivers in the NFL, but on the verge of throwing his career away because of substance abuse. Carter says what finally made him realize that he has to get clean was the Eagles cutting him, and he hopes Gordon goes through the same thing.

“I feel for the kid,” Carter said on Mike & Mike. “My situation was very, very similar. If I’m the Cleveland Browns — and it’s gut-wrenching for me to say this — I really think that the only thing that’s going to help the kid is if they release him.”

Carter has said many times that when his coach in Philadelphia, Buddy Ryan, booted him off the team, that was what made Carter realize that he had to get help.

“When they took that away, that was my reality, and that was the catalyst to get me on the road to recovery,” Carter said.

Carter suspects that the people around Gordon are coddling him, rather than telling him that his only option is to enter treatment for substance abuse.

“We’re dealing with addiction,” Carter said. “We’re dealing with a disease. If Josh had cancer we’d put him in a treatment center. And right now that’s what we need to do for him. But no one wants to do the hard thing. Everyone wants to keep coddling him, the same way they did in high school, the same thing they did at Baylor, where he had problems. Eventually it’s going to blow up. Now it’s blowing up in the National Football League, and his career is in jeopardy.”

Whether the Browns cut Gordon or not, he is unlikely to play this year, as he is facing a yearlong suspension. The biggest question is whether Gordon will ever get the kind of help he needs to return to football and become the kind of player Cris Carter was, or if he is going to let his substance-abuse issues derail his NFL career, and his life.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I kinda feel the same way about him as I do about Blackmon. They're not going to get better as football players, or more importantly as people until they hit rock bottom (along the lines of what CC said).

I think trading for him would not only be doing the team a disservice, but would be doing Gordon a disservice as well. Maybe he's never going to get better. I hope he does. But I doubt it'll happen until he knows the golden ticket can get taken away.