Would Colin Kaepernick fit with the Rams?/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You can ask that question about literally any other QB in the league right now, and fans will find a way to make it work.
Literally any other QB.

Literally.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You can ask that question about literally any other QB in the league right now, and fans will find a way to make it work.
Literally any other QB.

Literally.
And after the team loses a few games those same fans will be throwing him under the bus and clamoring for someone else. Literally any one else except the guy in Horns. Literally.
th

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Carson Palmer. First 9 games in Arians' offense:
5-4 record
12 TD
15 INT

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is he the answer? Not the permanent one. But if you bring in Adam Gase and Mike McCoy, he can be the answer for a year or two. They can build an offense that uses his running threat along with Gurley to do enough damage to allow us to win. They did it with Tebow. And Kaepernick is a better passer and runner than Tebow.

Is the guy an ideal option? No. But there are much worse options for a season or two while we develop a real QB of the future. Would I take Kaepernick at the right price? Absolutely...if we have coaches that can use him correctly. Jeff Fisher isn't that coach imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Carson Palmer. First 9 games in Arians' offense:
5-4 record
12 TD
15 INT

I might be wrong but I'm assuming you're defending Foles. One fundamental flaw here. Palmer improved as the year went on. His first 7 games, he had a QB Rating below 90 in 6 out of 7 games.(Week 1 against the Rams was the only game he had a QB Rating above 90) In the next 7 games, he had 6 games with a QB Rating above 90 and 5 games with a QB Rating above 100.

Nick Foles is moving in the opposite direction. His first 4 games, he had 5 TDs to 1 Int. In the last 6 games, he has 2 TDs to 8 Ints. Foles is not getting better. He's getting worse.

Plus, there's the whole eye test aspect of it all.

In this case, the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. We have the worst QB situation in the NFL and the most inept passing offense in the NFL. That means that the grass is greener no matter what other fence you're looking at.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want to see the Rams degrade into a team that runs a BS college offense. They're already flirting with that with Cigs calling the shots, but if they go to a full zone read scheme I think it will be time for me to find another team. I know it sounds like a douche thing to say, but at some point if you don't enjoy your fandom what's the point? At the very least I'll be like I am with the Lakers, where I settle into a fog of disinterest and don't bother to watch their games.

All I can say is thank God for hockey. That's the one game that I can tune in and watch with some enjoyment. I'm in a very miserable stretch right now with my sports teams and the Rams going with a zone read would put me over the edge man.

This makes no sense to me. Who cares if it's a "college offense?" If it works, it works. I can understand not wanting to watch the Rams if they did something like bring back Fisher. This is just one man's opinion but that signals to me that they don't care about winning.

But trying to change things up to find a way to win? What's wrong with that? When life hands you lemons, you don't try to grill the lemons and call them steak. If our best solution at QB in 2016 is Kaepernick, you might as well run with it.(literally)

Even if we draft a talented QB, it might still be necessary for him to sit. And if he does, Kaepernick can help us win games with that read option...a lot better than watching Foles struggle to put the ball in the same area code as the WRs.

nighttrain

Legend
This makes no sense to me. Who cares if it's a "college offense?" If it works, it works. I can understand not wanting to watch the Rams if they did something like bring back Fisher. This is just one man's opinion but that signals to me that they don't care about winning.

But trying to change things up to find a way to win? What's wrong with that? When life hands you lemons, you don't try to grill the lemons and call them steak. If our best solution at QB in 2016 is Kaepernick, you might as well run with it.(literally)

Even if we draft a talented QB, it might still be necessary for him to sit. And if he does, Kaepernick can help us win games with that read option...a lot better than watching Foles struggle to put the ball in the same area code as the WRs.
Agreed,so tired of seeing Foles throw passes that couldn't be caught by a 10 foot tall receiver
train

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
A qb that can't read a defense or at best can maybe read half the field and go through one prgression in a hi-low concept versus Nick Foles who can occasionally read the field as the system demands but then can't get the ball there anyway!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They did it with Tebow. And Kaepernick is a better passer and runner than Tebow.
Godwin's law suggests that if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism. Well, I now propose ROD's law. If a football discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will resurrect the career of Tim Tebow and/or put him on the Rams.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism
Aw, can't we at least compare wanting any Whiner douches to be like rooting for Hitler?

Joking aside, we've all been fans of this team through the worst losing stretch in NFL history and I get being fed up with it, but I would suggest there are some things for a fan that would be worse than losing.

Memphis Ram

Legend
This. A creative run game could easily put the Rams in the top 5 in rushing with Kaep's running ability. Sure would be nice to see what Tavon and even Marquez could do when a play breaks down and the QB is actually able to extend the play. I don't see why he isn't high on the Rams list if he gets cut. He knows the division already and might even be able to help with some more insight on how the Rams are seen from the other side. Should also be had for a decent price too. Even if you sign Kaep, Draft a kid high and develop. Then you have no rush to throw him out there if you had a depth chart of Kaepernick, Mannion and High Draft Rookie. I'd be fine with being that rare team that carries 3 QBs.

Agree with everything except drafting a QB high.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I'm gonna go ahead and poop on that idea. Something wrong about despising a guy for so long then employing him.

RamsFan14

Starter
If he is used correctly, he can be an average to above average player, but only if it's a read option offense. Todd Gurley, TA, and Kaep on offense could annoy defenses with there running ability. I wouldn't be opposed to this, however I'm not the biggest fan of this idea. I might be in the bandwagon of patching up the OL and giving Foles 1 more year in the same system (yea, I said it). Wouldn't mind a change tho. Bring in Kaep or RG3 to compete with Foles (if the price is right). There are many ways to go about this, have to give it some more thought.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

When is the last time a team with a simplistic, college offense won it all? Defenses in the NFL are too good man. If this regime goes that route it means more wasted seasons of not being good enough.

I think my take is pretty valid. That's sorta why I feel that way, but appreciate the feedback.

Memphis Ram

Legend
When is the last time a team with a simplistic, college offense won it all? Defenses in the NFL are too good man. If this regime goes that route it means more wasted seasons of not being good enough.

I think my take is pretty valid. That's sorta why I feel that way, but appreciate the feedback.

I have to ask. What type of offense were the 49ers running when the lost the Super Bowl by 3 points with Kaepernick? And if they had won, would it be OK then?

Either way, I think one major hang up for many is that some seem to believe that the implementation of a lot of zone read type plays means that's the entire offense being suggested and it's not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Teams with simplistic offenses have won it all. Teams running an offense like the one we're discussing have never won it all. But they have made the playoffs. Maybe I set the bar too low but right now, I'm happy with the playoffs.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
:puke:

First of all, Mannion is in development. Second of all :puke:. DO NOT bring in a terrible passer in this org.

Develop Mannion or else, get a 1st round QB if available.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
CK is locker room poison. We don't need to have players getting in trouble because our QB is screwing the other players girlfriends.
This team already has more than enough problems to go around!