Would Colin Kaepernick fit with the Rams?/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Would Colin Kaepernick fit with the Rams?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/24417/would-colin-kaepernick-fit-with-the-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In looking at the St. Louis Rams' current and future prospects at the quarterback position, there doesn't appear to be any obvious solution.

Yes, the team has Nick Foles under contract and drafted rookie Sean Mannion in the third round this year, but Foles has proved he's not the answer right now, and Mannion is a ways off from even being in position to be fairly judged.

All of which is to say that quarterback can and should be a position of priority for the Rams once again this offseason. As Foles' case represents, teams are unlikely to let a legitimate starting quarterback leave either via trade of free agency. That leaves the NFL draft, which is also known for being something of a crapshoot, especially when it comes to quarterbacks.

Could the Rams' ongoing search for a long-term answer at quarterback include the Niners' Colin Kaepernick?

But ESPN's Mike Sando and Matt Bowen offered a discussion Thursday on one quarterback who probably will be available and has had some success in his career. That would be the San Francisco 49ers' Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick is an interesting player in that he has the type of talent that has allowed for success in the past, but as defenses caught up to him he began to regress. To get back to success, it seems Kaeparnick would need to go somewhere with a run-centric offense.

In the piece, Sando mentions four teams with run-oriented offenses that also could have the need for a quarterback: Denver, St. Louis, Philadelphia and Buffalo. Bowen followed up by saying the Rams and Houston Texans would be logical fits for Kaepernick based on their approaches.

So would Kaepernick be worth a look for the Rams? He actually could. The Rams seemed to have patterned themselves after the Seattle Seahawks, a team with a run-focused offensive scheme that leans heavily on its defense. But the Seahawks have Russell Wilson, a quarterback capable of running around and making plays when things break down. Wilson also gives Seattle zone-read elements to its offense that the Rams simply don't have.

In that sense, Kaepernick might be worth a look, depending on the cost. Of course, if the Rams did pursue Kaepernick, they'd need to adjust the scheme to suit his skills. Making this topic even harder to project is the fact we don't know how many teams will be changing coaches and philosophies this offseason. If the Rams are one of them, it might mean Kaepernick isn't much of a fit.

But if nothing else, it's something to keep an eye on as the Rams again search for a long-term solution at the game's most important position.

ICYMI

A roundup of Thursday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... We began the morning with a look at the Rams' return to NFC West play in which they've actually had some success. ... The Ram-blings began with a look at the Rams' chances of getting the No. 1 overall pick. ... Where things stand with the Rams and relocation. ... Mannion doesn't look as if he'll be getting a chance to start anytime soon. ... We finished the day with a look at Thursday's injury report.

Elsewhere:

The NFLPA says it believes the Rams should be punished for Case Keenum's concussion incident.

The NFL Live crew makes its picks for Sunday's Rams-Cardinals game.

A Los Angeles vote is expected next month.

At 101sports.com, Bernie Miklasz writes that both Stan Kroenke and the city of St. Louis are feeling the heat when it comes to relocation.

The Stats Doctor offers some numbers on how the Rams' passing struggles are making the ground game less effective.

At stltoday.com, Ben Hochman wonders how St. Louis could possibly lose in the battle to keep the Rams.

Ben Frederickson ponders how Kroenke would react if he's denied Los Angeles.
:thinking::shocked::rolllaugh::palm::huh:
rotfl.PNG

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What was the comment that Jenkins made I never saw it?
basically in a nutshell he mentioned how he was tired of the defense doing their job just to be let down by an offense that doesnt score enough points. he's not lying, however its not best to fingerpoint in public, which makes me believe a lot worse is being said in the lockerroom. he'll probably sign with a playoff team next summer.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why not? Yes, our QB situation is that bad.

Run him. Then run him again.

But seriously, as a backup, sure. I still want to draft Goff or Lynch.
any thoughts on Hogan (stanford)?

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Hell no. I don't want Kaepernick at all. He's proved himself to be a huge jerk and an even worse quarterback.

I don't really want him either persay. But if my only choices for next year were Foles or Kaepernick, I'd be forced to choose Kaepernick. Foles is THAT bad.

FRO

Legend
He can't read defenses and is inaccurate, so yes he would fit right in.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
A better question would be. Is he a fit for the NFL? I dont think so, but I have been wrong a time or 2 before.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If that were to happen I probably would be forced to no longer support the Rams organization.

…..

Legend
If that were to happen I probably would be forced to no longer support the Rams organization.

I don't think I would go that far.....

But I would quit my job, stop bathing, and go into hiding in the rugged hills of North Western Utah.

Or jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, whichever seems easier at the time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't want to see the Rams degrade into a team that runs a BS college offense. They're already flirting with that with Cigs calling the shots, but if they go to a full zone read scheme I think it will be time for me to find another team. I know it sounds like a douche thing to say, but at some point if you don't enjoy your fandom what's the point? At the very least I'll be like I am with the Lakers, where I settle into a fog of disinterest and don't bother to watch their games.

All I can say is thank God for hockey. That's the one game that I can tune in and watch with some enjoyment. I'm in a very miserable stretch right now with my sports teams and the Rams going with a zone read would put me over the edge man.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd love to see the Rams bring in Kaepernick and run closer to an offense that Gus Malzahn has run at Auburn. With his running ability he'd make things that much easier for Gurley and Austin as teams would have to play them more honestly. Even if he passes as poorly as Foles, I believe this team would have a winning record now with not only his threat to run, but also his actual runs.

People can hate on him all day, but he'd be a perfect fit for a team that wants to play ball control with a strong defense. That exactly how the 49ers had double digit wins and even almost won a Super Bowl.

I'd take that than be like fans of most teams who are and have been waiting for years to find a quality franchise pocket passer that even this team hasn't had since Marc Bulger 10 freaking years ago.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's fun to poke fun at him, and I enjoy doing it, but in the right situation he's proven capable of taking a team deep in the playoffs.

I'd almost gag at the prospect, but you can't rule it out.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'd love to see the Rams bring in Kaepernick and run closer to an offense that Gus Malzahn has run at Auburn. With his running ability he'd make things that much easier for Gurley and Austin as teams would have to play them more honestly. Even if he passes as poorly as Foles, I believe this team would have a winning record now with not only his threat to run, but also his actual runs.

People can hate on him all day, but he'd be a perfect fit for a team that wants to play ball control with a strong defense. That exactly how the 49ers had double digit wins and even almost won a Super Bowl.

I'd take that than be like fans of most teams who are and have been waiting for years to find a quality franchise pocket passer that even this team hasn't had since Marc Bulger 10 freaking years ago.

This. A creative run game could easily put the Rams in the top 5 in rushing with Kaep's running ability. Sure would be nice to see what Tavon and even Marquez could do when a play breaks down and the QB is actually able to extend the play. I don't see why he isn't high on the Rams list if he gets cut. He knows the division already and might even be able to help with some more insight on how the Rams are seen from the other side. Should also be had for a decent price too. Even if you sign Kaep, Draft a kid high and develop. Then you have no rush to throw him out there if you had a depth chart of Kaepernick, Mannion and High Draft Rookie. I'd be fine with being that rare team that carries 3 QBs.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Ah, Hell No! I've said it before and will say it again, he is not an NFL QB. I rank him right next to Trent Dillhole. Yeah, he had limited success with Hardballs, but he is just not that good. Athletic... yes, smart... NO, and would not help this team at all. If he were to ever get picked up by the Rams it would be as the dummy the D-Line slams in their daily individual drills.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He can't read defenses and is inaccurate, so yes he would fit right in.

Thats what I was thinking. Is he a good fit? Sure. Lousy quarterback, lousy offense. Sounds like a perfect fit.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If we are going to give up on the passing game I'd rather have Tebow!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
As much as I hate to say it lap could be fishers next Steve mcnair