Would Colin Kaepernick fit with the Rams?/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Would Colin Kaepernick fit with the Rams?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/24417/would-colin-kaepernick-fit-with-the-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In looking at the St. Louis Rams' current and future prospects at the quarterback position, there doesn't appear to be any obvious solution.

Yes, the team has Nick Foles under contract and drafted rookie Sean Mannion in the third round this year, but Foles has proved he's not the answer right now, and Mannion is a ways off from even being in position to be fairly judged.

All of which is to say that quarterback can and should be a position of priority for the Rams once again this offseason. As Foles' case represents, teams are unlikely to let a legitimate starting quarterback leave either via trade of free agency. That leaves the NFL draft, which is also known for being something of a crapshoot, especially when it comes to quarterbacks.

Could the Rams' ongoing search for a long-term answer at quarterback include the Niners' Colin Kaepernick?

But ESPN's Mike Sando and Matt Bowen offered a discussion Thursday on one quarterback who probably will be available and has had some success in his career. That would be the San Francisco 49ers' Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick is an interesting player in that he has the type of talent that has allowed for success in the past, but as defenses caught up to him he began to regress. To get back to success, it seems Kaeparnick would need to go somewhere with a run-centric offense.

In the piece, Sando mentions four teams with run-oriented offenses that also could have the need for a quarterback: Denver, St. Louis, Philadelphia and Buffalo. Bowen followed up by saying the Rams and Houston Texans would be logical fits for Kaepernick based on their approaches.

So would Kaepernick be worth a look for the Rams? He actually could. The Rams seemed to have patterned themselves after the Seattle Seahawks, a team with a run-focused offensive scheme that leans heavily on its defense. But the Seahawks have Russell Wilson, a quarterback capable of running around and making plays when things break down. Wilson also gives Seattle zone-read elements to its offense that the Rams simply don't have.

In that sense, Kaepernick might be worth a look, depending on the cost. Of course, if the Rams did pursue Kaepernick, they'd need to adjust the scheme to suit his skills. Making this topic even harder to project is the fact we don't know how many teams will be changing coaches and philosophies this offseason. If the Rams are one of them, it might mean Kaepernick isn't much of a fit.

But if nothing else, it's something to keep an eye on as the Rams again search for a long-term solution at the game's most important position.

ICYMI

A roundup of Thursday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... We began the morning with a look at the Rams' return to NFC West play in which they've actually had some success. ... The Ram-blings began with a look at the Rams' chances of getting the No. 1 overall pick. ... Where things stand with the Rams and relocation. ... Mannion doesn't look as if he'll be getting a chance to start anytime soon. ... We finished the day with a look at Thursday's injury report.

Elsewhere:

The NFLPA says it believes the Rams should be punished for Case Keenum's concussion incident.

The NFL Live crew makes its picks for Sunday's Rams-Cardinals game.

A Los Angeles vote is expected next month.

At 101sports.com, Bernie Miklasz writes that both Stan Kroenke and the city of St. Louis are feeling the heat when it comes to relocation.

The Stats Doctor offers some numbers on how the Rams' passing struggles are making the ground game less effective.

At stltoday.com, Ben Hochman wonders how St. Louis could possibly lose in the battle to keep the Rams.

Ben Frederickson ponders how Kroenke would react if he's denied Los Angeles.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have forgotten what good quarterback play is for the Rams...Now I do see it in Brady, Rodgers..ETC and I truly hope somehow, someway, someday I will see it again with the team that I root for.

…..

Legend
Its a bad day when your QB's are not performing and the reported options are possibly Jonny Manziel and Kolin Kapperdick.

What a fkn nightmare.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Ugh, I... I don't... no, please. I'm sure Kaepernick would do better in our offense than nearly any other offense in the NFL, but I don't trust him to be the quarterback of my team. I could certainly be wrong, but from the "Running QBs Building the Future of the NFL" trend a few years ago, he was the one I thought was least likely to develop into a QB who runs as opposed to a RB who hucks the ball 20 times a game.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Pretty much closes the book on Wagoner in my mind since anyone promoting a douche is a douche himself.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
As of right now yes, he would be certainly better than anyone on our roster. That said, if that's who you're bringing in next year as the next savior for our pos offense, you should be fired.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty much closes the book on Wagoner in my mind since anyone promoting a douche is a douche himself.
only promoting because in all honesty, kapernick is the only available qb who could outrun the massive onrush of defensive linemen in the Rams backfield. the kapernick from a few years ago wouldnt be bad (then, of course the niners would still be happy with him) . the Rams need someone who can read defenses better and call changes at the line. and receivers who dont drop balls after running improper routes, etc. etc. etc. et al.
at this point this team is divided (defensive player comments after recent games-- i dont blame them though), motivation is gone now that losing has set in again, too many injuries to key players, too many free agents who may possibly have had enough losing, and on and on and on. the ball o' sheet runs downhill very quickly, faster than when times are good. but the offense vs defense attitude is basically sealing the deal with this team, and not in a good way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If used properly? Heck yeah he'd be a huge improvement
If they misuse him like they did in San Fran and try to make him a drop back passer, he'll suck just the same

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hell no. I don't want Kaepernick at all. He's proved himself to be a huge jerk and an even worse quarterback.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who the Ram's QB is for the rest of this year doesn't really matter. I can't even imagine speculating on who to go after next year until a plan is made to change decision making and game planning on the offensive side of the ball. This includes a new coordinator, who will wipe the slate clean and bring in who they want and address the offensive line via free agency.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I had thought about this before but no way was I gonna open my mouth first. it's just depressing that we even have to talk about or entertain this thought smh. gimme Tebow before I have to see Kaeperdick kiss his bicep in a Rams uniform. although I doubt he's done that in a minute

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am not close to being a Colin Kaepernick fan but say what you want Kaeper skill set would fit Fisher's style perfectly. Fisher from all that I have seen here in four seasons desires a run first run dominant offense. While he sure did not secure the OL to run this type of offense until May of this draft this is where he wants to be. Am I wrong?

Next season his surgically repaired & time healed massive OL will be best at pounding the ball. Kaeper should feel comfortable here with this Fisher style, looks to fit right in here. He fits much better than any of the 3 QB's we have now. I really have NO problems with considering this possibility. I want to win & Fisher is going nowhere else in 2016.

Last edited:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Having to account for Kaep, Gurley, and Austin all running the ball would be a nightmare for opposing DCs.

He would have a chip on his shoulder any time we play the 49ers.

He has already shown he can make just enough passes to take a team with a strong defence and run game deep on the playoffs.

He would probably look as good in our offense than he would anywhere else right now. The 49ers horribly misused him.

In the end, I think all of these scrap heap options are not great solutions for the long-term. But if that guy is not available this year or off-seaosn, Kaep might be the best band-aid solution out there.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
only promoting because in all honesty, kapernick is the only available qb who could outrun the massive onrush of defensive linemen in the Rams backfield. the kapernick from a few years ago wouldnt be bad (then, of course the niners would still be happy with him) . the Rams need someone who can read defenses better and call changes at the line. and receivers who dont drop balls after running improper routes, etc. etc. etc. et al.
at this point this team is divided (defensive player comments after recent games-- i dont blame them though), motivation is gone now that losing has set in again, too many injuries to key players, too many free agents who may possibly have had enough losing, and on and on and on. the ball o' sheet runs downhill very quickly, faster than when times are good. but the offense vs defense attitude is basically sealing the deal with this team, and not in a good way.
What was the comment that Jenkins made I never saw it?

iced

would kaepernick fit with us....?

this seriously a question?

Are we trying to find something worse than Keenum/Foles?

Athos

Legend
Why not? Yes, our QB situation is that bad.

Run him. Then run him again.

But seriously, as a backup, sure. I still want to draft Goff or Lynch.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This is officially the low point of the last 5 years. As I read this article the tears started to flow for this once proud franchise. Colon Kaperdoodle, there are no words.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
reported options are possibly Jonny Manziel and Kolin Kapperdick.

Take 'em both!

Put both of them in the backfield on every play... watch what happens!!

:eek::LOL:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I disagree with Wagoner....

His premise is all wrong

The Rams want to have run balance but they will have to play a QB that can exploit 8-9 man boxes in the passing game to back the defense out of those congested boxes.

Krapperdoodle running around doesn't do that, at all.