Woods is a better receiver than everyone thinks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STLRam

UDFA
And I think this is the main reason why Watkins hasn't been targeted near as much this year. And for the record, I think Watkins has the potential to be a top 5 WR in the league and should be targeted more.

But besides the penalties during the Redskins game, Woods has been a beast. Can't remember a single game he dropped a pass (though I'm probably wrong). Gets open in the middle of the field 15 yards deep consistently, gets open on the sideline when Goff is scrambling. Does a great job with YAC.

I still think Watkins is the most talented reciever we have, but just reminding everyone that Woods was the #1 WR recruit in the nation when he committed to USC and for good reason.

Once teams start actually realizing that in McVay's offense every single offensive skill player will contribute, both Watkins and Woods will benefit and will be one of the best WR duos in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woods can't lose the ball like he did today, but he's been our most consistent WR this year. He's really feasting in the intermediate range.

jap

Legend
I wanted the Rams to draft Robert when he left the collegiate ranks. I wanted Marquise Lee as well, but I think Sammy Watkins will do. :LOL:

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Woods can't lose the ball like he did today, but he's been our most consistent WR this year. He's really feasting in the intermediate range.

I just don't know why he didn't just keep running when he caught it.. he stopped and changed direction and it let the cb catch up to make that play

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I dont know about being a beast but woods looks to be our #1 wr.... that can actually CATCH

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't remember a single game he dropped a pass

He dropped one today on 3rd and long. Did everything right, got open, dived low for the perfectly placed ball and somehow got his helmet in the way and the ball bounced off it for an incompletion.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah he's been a great pickup for us. And tbh I think at this point the production of most of the wideouts is just dependent on Goff's continued improvement. Last two weeks we've seen high end secondaries, so hopefully things will pick up a little vs the Cards.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wondered if anybody was going to mention that...Real time it looked like a poor throw from Goff, but even though It was low, it was a much easier catch than what everybody dumped on Kupp for last week...That was a 3rd and 18 I think...Would have kept a drive alive...

The throw there was accurate. You gotta protect your WR. But it's still a hard catch going low for the ball. It's probably the toughest catch in football (except for low and behind you). Woods misplayed it just a little. I'm not going to beat him up for it considering all the plays he's made.

I just don't know why he didn't just keep running when he caught it.. he stopped and changed direction and it let the cb catch up to make that play

I think he believed he could get more yardage by spinning back the other direction. He just lost his footing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Woods is a player - period. A few others catching up with their skill level anywhere near where he has would be freaking incredible.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Stupid question, but why couldn't McVay switch Woods out with watkins and have him running the same plays? It looks like every game Woods has 5-6 targets easy where he is open 10-15 yards downfield. Do you think Watkins is struggling with playbook? Or maybe his skill set maybe fits exclusively to an outside guy?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Stupid question, but why couldn't McVay switch Woods out with watkins and have him running the same plays? It looks like every game Woods has 5-6 targets easy where he is open 10-15 yards downfield. Do you think Watkins is struggling with playbook? Or maybe his skill set maybe fits exclusively to an outside guy?
Not sure Watkins is actually the player we hoped he'd be. I'd love to see it but Woods just gets out there and gets into position to make plays. It seems to me that Watkins is just relying on skill rather than showing it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Could he? Sure. But why do that? Woods isn't a deep threat like Watkins. Each guy is in the role that maximizes his skill-set. Goff and Watkins just have to get that chemistry going on the deep ball.

I do think Watkins is struggling with the playbook to some degree.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I do think Watkins is struggling with the playbook to some degree.
Here's where I disagree. I think Watkins is struggling with Watkins and he needs to let go. He has immense talent but that is kind of the knock on the guy as well. His talent is better than his results.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I was "meh" on the Woods signing without ever seeing him play. I was stupid wrong...a baller

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
To be fair, Woods is covered by the #2 CB while Watkins is matched up against the #1 CB; a lot of his production attributes to that. I don't think he would be as effective if covered by the likes of Sherman and Ramsey the last two weeks.

Overall, I do like the production he's given in the intermediate routes. Hope Watkins eventually brings up another game similar to the 49ers one; he's just itching to make big plays.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I've said it many times, Woods is an awesome WR - I wanted the Rams to Draft both him and Sammy in their respective years - I'm stoked we have them both (and Kupp).

We've got to remember this is a young team learning a new scheme, under a new HC. Imagine what we're going to look like when the whole unit clicks...

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
To be fair, Woods is covered by the #2 CB while Watkins is matched up against the #1 CB; a lot of his production attributes to that. I don't think he would be as effective if covered by the likes of Sherman and Ramsey the last two weeks.

Overall, I do like the production he's given in the intermediate routes. Hope Watkins eventually brings up another game similar to the 49ers one; he's just itching to make big plays.

Aj bouye is as good if not better than Ramsey. And I didn't get to watch whole Seattle game but Sherman tends to stay to one side so assuming that was the case woods and Watkins went vs both cbs. Flawed arguement at best

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

but every teams #1 WR goes up the #1 corner (for the most part) ..i dont know what but something seems "off" with Sammy but this offense probably wont have a 1000 yard receiver but we will have a bunch of players on around 500-900 yards i think

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
but every teams #1 WR goes up the #1 corner (for the most part) ..i dont know what but something seems "off" with Sammy but this offense probably wont have a 1000 yard receiver but we will have a bunch of players on around 500-900 yards i think

That's definitely the McVay way for sure - we all knew that at the start of the season, I'm not sure why people are surprised now. Sure it would be good to see Sammy to more big plays, but I really don't care who catches the ball as long as they catch it. I'd rather we have this room full of legit WRs and targets for Goff than just have 1 guy out there...

TexasRam

Legend
I was "meh" on the Woods signing without ever seeing him play. I was stupid wrong...a baller

Same here. Didn't like the signing. I'll admit I was way off. He runs dam near textbook routes and always is getting open. He plays real strong as well. Able to hold on after taking a big hit.

To be Honest his routes are to me, exactly like Ike Bruce. Not that Woods has that much speed. But he glides like Bruce. No slowdown or rough in his Routes. Make's a QB's job easier projecting where to place the ball.

Kupp, Woods and Gurley are the Cogs in the passing game Wheel. The rest are icing on the cake.

Between Watkins, Reynolds Thomas and Cooper, one of these Dudes needs to step up and emerge as a serious threat.