Wilson: 9 of 14 for 94 yards, 0 tds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Matt Conrath.

IMO, what the Rams defense is missing is a slot CB, a FS, DB depth and a disruptive DT(we were also missing a decent scheme until Walton was fired). Offensively...imo, we need to build up a dominating OL. I'd love a #1 WR but I feel that's a luxury. If we can get one and he's the right value, sure. But I really want a dominating OL...I think that puts our team over the hump.

Thanks, yep Conrrath is the guy I was thinking of.

And the slot cb isn't my concern because I'd move JJ their and find and MUCH stornger/bigger cb to play out side...I just can't take his soft coverage or his weak "throw a shoulder" attempts at a tackle. Sorry, not a fan.

RFIP

We have to beat Seattle. We're not going to have a better secondary than them. Sadly, I feel pretty confident in that. Carroll is a helluva DB teacher and Schneider knows how to pick them. They have arguably the best FS and CB in the game. So if we can't beat them there, we gotta do it elsewhere. And IMO, we do that by dominating them on both sides of the ball in the trenches.

To watch their back end run with receivers then know exactly when to pass them to the next defender is something to behold.

I can hate that team all night long but I have to give them their due, their back end is amazing...and its what seperates them from SF imo.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
We have to beat Seattle. We're not going to have a better secondary than them. Sadly, I feel pretty confident in that. Carroll is a helluva DB teacher and Schneider knows how to pick them. They have arguably the best FS and CB in the game. So if we can't beat them there, we gotta do it elsewhere. And IMO, we do that by dominating them on both sides of the ball in the trenches.
That's a reasonable position. And I'm onboard with drafting OT with the first pick over Watkins, though I recognize it could be a mistake.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks, yep Conrrath is the guy I was thinking of.

And the slot cb isn't my concern because I'd move JJ their and find and MUCH stornger/bigger cb to play out side...I just can't take his soft coverage or his weak "throw a shoulder" attempts at a tackle. Sorry, not a fan.

His tackling(or lack thereof) drives me nuts. But I'd keep Jenkins outside. Watching him since he was a freshman at UF, if you put him in the right scheme, the kid has top CB potential. He's just a really natural cover CB with great instincts and ball-skills. He just needs a scheme and DC that allows him to do what he does best...stay in the hip pocket of the WR and drive him crazy all game long because he's like a dog with a bone.

I saw the guy blanket Julio Jones, AJ Green and Alshon Jeffery in college. He can do it in the NFL. Just stop playing the kid 10 yards off the ball. You gotta let him play it tight or else he's going to try and overcompensate to create a big play which will lead to him guessing/gambling and guessing wrong. Janoris isn't a patient CB. He's an aggressive energizer bunny.

I remember in week 17 against Seattle last year, we allowed him to play up on the LOS almost the entire game and he made Sidney Rice completely invisible. Guy didn't even show up on the box-score. That's the type of player he can be. And I'm excited to see what Gregg Williams can do with him.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
But here's the question max, how "miserable" has he made our lives to date? And PLEASE don't give me wins and loses when we all know we beat him game 1 last year in St Louis, came with in a nats eye lash of beating them in Seattle last year, should have and WOULD HAVE beaten them this year game 1 on Monday night and have pounded this guy from pillar to post in every single game we have played against him?

He has the enormous luxury of playing behind a world class defense and with a great/powerful RB. And he has the great sense to NEVER throw a ball in harms way because he knows if he has to punt the odds are in his favor that 3 plays or LESS later he is going to be right back on the field.

As for today he did nothing except fail to get his team in to the EZ until the game wa sway, WAY out of reach.

Well, we will see him at least twice this year. I don't expect it to be a walk in the park against him, but we shall see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a reasonable position. And I'm onboard with drafting OT with the first pick over Watkins, though I recognize it could be a mistake.

I am not even saying that's my stance. I won't be able to tell you who I'd draft until draft day when we're on the clock because I believe strongly that you take the best value. If that's Watkins, take him. But from a philosophical standpoint, if I am creating a strategy for this off-season, I want to build a dominating OL and fill those last few remaining slots on defense(while adding some depth). If we have a great weapon or two fall into our lap...even better.

RFIP

Well, we will see him at least twice this year. I don't expect it to be a walk in the park against him, but we shall see.

In the Wilson era Bradford is 5-2-1 vs the NFC West, with "one" stinker in the bunch (SF this year on Thursday night) and we all know last years tie in SF should have been our win.

And Sam is the QB of the least talented "all around" team (or at least WAS last year) in the division.

When his day comes that he could have 94 pass yards and no tds but be beating the highest scoring team in NFL history 22-0 at half time you come over and wake me up ok?

RFIP

I am not even saying that's my stance. I won't be able to tell you who I'd draft until draft day when we're on the clock because I believe strongly that you take the best value. If that's Watkins, take him. But from a philosophical standpoint, if I am creating a strategy for this off-season, I want to build a dominating OL and fill those last few remaining slots on defense(while adding some depth). If we have a great weapon or two fall into our lap...even better.

Let me ask you this question since you and I disagree on the Clowney vs Watkins debate I'll put that one to the side for now.

Who would you go after in FA? And how might that re-shape your draft thoughts?

I've been clear on Verner or Byrd and I'm convinced they get one of those two.

You?

RFIP

It won't be a walk in the park for Seattle either, I promise you that.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I'm responding to the assertion that Wilson's numbers say he's just going along for the ride on the back of a great team. I'm saying he's a hell of a young QB, one who will make our lives miserable for years.

We are on this board to talk Rams and Sam is our QB. It's perfectly within the normal confines of a normal discussion to look at a QB in our division who is playing in the Superbowl and juxtapose him with our QB.

And if your saying Taint, Baldwin, and Kearse are much better than our WRs, then you must believe that Snead has done a poor job drafting because he used a lot more draft capital than Seattle did.

I'm worried about our team, and I don't put my head in the sand when I see a shortcoming that worries me. I still don't know if we've got the right QB five years later. And that's troublesome. The Seahawks don't have that concern. I wish we didn't. But we still do.

There is a distinct possibility that Bradford craps out this year, and I hate that possibility. If that sounds like PD board talk to you than you're not as objective as I thought.

since no one else is saying it i will. Russell Wilson is an average QB who is mobile that ABSOLUTELY rides on the back of a great team.
He has a dominating defense that covers his mistakes.
He has a decent corps of wide receivers that don't drop whats given to them.
And here is the big difference maker folks
He has a ELITE rb that is difficult to take down that every team is scared of so they stack the box and leave easy receptions open on the field.

take wilson and plop him on the clevland browns jacksonville jaguars or oakland raiders and not a single one of us would be having this conversation. I belive you are having after season blues and panicing a lil and giving praise where it is not due my friend

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
IMO, this SB says one thing to me that I didn't think would happen today. A dominant defense still trumps a great offense. That said, I think a great OL can still make a huge difference in slowing down a team like Seattle. I think our OL when healthy is still good, but can be better. I truly believe our DL is as good as Seattle's or actually better. But, where we fall short is in the back end. Seattle just suffocates you with there CB's, LB's and safeties. So if we really want to be a top 5 D it's evident, at least IMO, that should be our focus. I hope we get another good LB that can pass cover. And we really need a good cover corner to compliment McDonald.
I would bet every dollar I have that regardless of QB playing we would of been way more competitive today than Denver was. Even with the talent difference we have on offense.
One more good draft and we will prove it next year.

Still can't believe my "other" team got the crap beat of them. But you have to give credit where it's due. Seattle was the best team today and all year. GOD that hurts coming out of my mouth.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The thing with Russell Wilson is you can contain him all game, his end game stats are meh, but he'll make that play once or twice a game that'll end up being key to the shitchickens winning. Be it a scramble, long pass, trick play, w/e. Teams will need to completely shut him down.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me ask you this question since you and I disagree on the Clowney vs Watkins debate I'll put that one to the side for now.

Who would you go after in FA? And how might that re-shape your draft thoughts?

I've been clear on Verner or Byrd and I'm convinced they get one of those two.

You?

Try to re-sign Rodger Saffold. If we have ample money left over for another big signing, go after one of Alex Mack, Anquan Boldin or Jairus Byrd.

RFIP

Try to re-sign Rodger Saffold. If we have ample money left over for another big signing, go after one of Alex Mack, Anquan Boldin or Jairus Byrd.

Man I like this. Mack and re-sign Saffold? Color me all in on that one though the local gloom and doomers think affold is a goner.

Mack is a monster, best C in football for my money...and we could re-sign Saffold too? Wow.

IF those two things did somehow happen though, I don't se ehow our cb and FS play improves because it will be left to rookies again. :cry:

RFIP

The thing with Russell Wilson is you can contain him all game, his end game stats are meh, but he'll make that play once or twice a game that'll end up being key to the shitchickens winning. Be it a scramble, long pass, trick play, w/e. Teams will need to completely shut him down.

That is VERY true but it is only true because of the team he plays on. Put him on the Jags and "that pay or two" become meaningless and they are looking to draft their next QB.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Wilson is clutch. He makes plays in sticky situations. So slippery. Sure, his defense is great, but he's not just a Dilfer. He's a special player. And he's not throwing to a stable of pro bowl receivers, either.

Right now, no unbiased football evaluator would take Bradford over Wilson. Wilson is better than Sam. Hands down.

I have to disagree with you on pretty much everything here.
I would not say he's clutch.....not at all. He did not make any costly mistakes.....I would give him a C+ maybe a B- for this game.
Special, I've never seen it. And his receivers while not all pro-bowl are better than the ones Sam has....and so is his O line.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My 2 cents on Wilson? Besides the obvious mobility factor,the only thing that impresses me about his game is his poise for such a young QB in the big games.

I agree with most here when they say that Wilson is,for the most part,just along for the ride surrounded by a monster defense and a ground n pound talented offense.
He's better than Krap in SF though...and i believe Wilson will likely get better as time goes on,whereas Krapper will be replaced at some point next season or soon after IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm responding to the assertion that Wilson's numbers say he's just going along for the ride on the back of a great team. I'm saying he's a hell of a young QB, one who will make our lives miserable for years.

We are on this board to talk Rams and Sam is our QB. It's perfectly within the normal confines of a normal discussion to look at a QB in our division who is playing in the Superbowl and juxtapose him with our QB.

And if your saying Taint, Baldwin, and Kearse are much better than our WRs, then you must believe that Snead has done a poor job drafting because he used a lot more draft capital than Seattle did.

I'm worried about our team, and I don't put my head in the sand when I see a shortcoming that worries me. I still don't know if we've got the right QB five years later. And that's troublesome. The Seahawks don't have that concern. I wish we didn't. But we still do.

There is a distinct possibility that Bradford craps out this year, and I hate that possibility. If that sounds like PD board talk to you than you're not as objective as I thought.
I think I see what happened here. First, you completely missed the sarcasm in my post, even though I felt it was fairly obvious. Second, you misread the intent of my post, though that could have been hard to figure out unless you're a mind-reader (so you shouldn't have tried). Third, I saw that your other board went completely off the rails over the whole "Wilson v Bradford / Mobile QB v Pocket Passer" debate, and you saw someone call Wilson a 'Trent Dilfer with legs', so you figured I feel the same way or something. There is no cross-contamination happening here. If I felt that Wilson was a jag, I'd come right out and say it. So since I didn't, it's safe to assume I don't feel that way.

So, your perception of my assertion was wrong. Though, up to that point in the game, I think anyone with eyes could see he didn't *need* to do much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man I like this. Mack and re-sign Saffold? Color me all in on that one though the local gloom and doomers think affold is a goner.

Mack is a monster, best C in football for my money...and we could re-sign Saffold too? Wow.

IF those two things did somehow happen though, I don't se ehow our cb and FS play improves because it will be left to rookies again. :cry:

Haha. I actually made the Saffold/Mack idea happen because of our conversation here in the mock I just put out.

As far as our secondary goes, I wouldn't go that far. I think a better scheme, combined with Janoris and Trumaine entering their 3rd year(usually the year the biggest leap is made in) and some better talent at FS and at nickel and dime back...even if they are rookies...we'll see a pretty big difference made in pass defense.

had

Rookie
I guess QB is the most important position on the field unless we're talking about the niners or the Seahawks.

But on a less snarky note, this kid Wilson is very good. Better than Bradford? That's debatable, of course.

Dubious analogy time -- Sam is arriving at the party 2 hours late, and everyone's already knee deep, and he's got a lot of catching up to do.