Why would you expect the offense to be better than 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
- Same HC
- Same OC that was the OC for the final few games (offense was pretty bad in those games)
- Same personnel

The Rams used the QB position as a crutch, so they traded a treasure trove to get a QB. Problem is the receivers and line are still issues, issues that will plague the young QB once Fisher finally decides to put him in.

Is the offensive talent in 2016 better or worse than it was opening day 2012?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I honestly believed our OL would be the difference, mostly healthy combined with another year of experience & development, then Reynolds & Williams end up on IR and Battle barely qualifies for the practice squad. No one believes Keenum is the answer, or ever was, so we wait until Goff is ready for prime time, then once he arrives, we should soon see vast improvement. Still, as i've mentioned many times already, without a quality # 1 WR to help ease Goff into a more comfortable zone, our O will continue to suffer. We spent 6 high draft picks for Goff, surely we can spare one more for a WR. jmo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
- Same HC
- Same OC that was the OC for the final few games (offense was pretty bad in those games)
- Same personnel

The Rams used the QB position as a crutch, so they traded a treasure trove to get a QB. Problem is the receivers and line are still issues, issues that will plague the young QB once Fisher finally decides to put him in.

I didn't.

TexasRam

Legend
Again, the offensive line was not bad. The niners sold out and stacked the line.

The WR's are bad. Get the rookies in there.

The QB was bad. Get Gofff in.

The play calling atrocious. Change it or fire some people.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
At this point, I can say with utmost confidence that Fisher is the problem with our development with WRs, TEs, QBs, and O-Line to a lesser extent. Whether or not he has a say in what we should do in offense, the piss poor performances are on him since he's the one who hired, Schotty, Cignetti, and Boras as OC. At least we were able to get decent production out of Schottenheimer's offense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
- Same HC
- Same personnel

Well, I didn't expect Britt and Austin to be our starting wideouts. Maybe Britt, but I expected Cooper and Thomas to be involved early. I'm pretty excited about those two, and Higbee also. I expected Austin to be used as a gadget player, but in more plays. More exotic plays to be exact. He doesn't belong on the outside, IMO. Yes he's fast, but that means nothing. Dante Hall was fast too, but he never made it as a wideout. I think it's all gonna come together when all of those players get involved full-time (the new receivers and Goff). And since that wasn't going to happen day one (and everyone knew it), I expected us to drudge along early in the season on the back of Gurley.

TL;DR:
I expected the new players to contribute (and eventually replace) the old ones.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I didn't expect Britt and Austin to be our starting wideouts. Maybe Britt, but I expected Cooper and Thomas to be involved early. I'm pretty excited about those two, and Higbee also. I expected Austin to be used as a gadget player, but in more plays. More exotic plays to be exact. He doesn't belong on the outside, IMO. Yes he's fast, but that means nothing. Dante Hall was fast too, but he never made it as a wideout. I think it's all gonna come together when all of those players get involved full-time (the new receivers and Goff). And since that wasn't going to happen day one (and everyone knew it), I expected us to drudge along early in the season on the back of Gurley.

TL;DR:
I expected the new players to contribute (and eventually replace) the old ones.
It's hard to expect mid round guys to contribute in a large way their rookie year. Austin (who is Hall 2.0) and Britt were always going to be the starters.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
- Same HC
- Same personnel

Why do you ask this question now.....after they lose their first game convincingly?

I would have more respect for the question if it was asked during training camp.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's hard to expect mid round guys to contribute in a large way their rookie year. Austin (who is Hall 2.0) and Britt were always going to be the starters.
Yeah, I know. I just expected them to contribute *sometime*, and then my expectations (hopefully) will be met.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Obviously my answer is Kool-Aid and self delusion.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I hoped the O Line and QB play would make a big difference. I guess I hoped Case would be better than he was.

FRO

Legend
Why do you ask this question now.....after they lose their first game convincingly?

I would have more respect for the question if it was asked during training camp.
Fair, but I've pointed out the poor receiver corps before the season. Many others have pointed out the other points.

FRO

Legend
Yeah, I know. I just expected them to contribute *sometime*, and then my expectations (hopefully) will be met.
Yeah, they may still yet.

FRO

Legend
Obviously my answer is Kool-Aid and self delusion.
Well I guess that's part of being a fan for some. Hope springs eternal in the offseason. Being a realist you have to see very little has changed from last year. Hard to expect different results.

FRO

Legend
I hoped the O Line and QB play would make a big difference. I guess I hoped Case would be better than he was.
To me Case is a younger Shaun Hill. Nice backup to have. A guy who can keep the ship afloat for a handful of games. If he is your full time starter you'll need historically good defense and run games.

The line should be improved, but to will they reach their ceiling? What is their ceiling? They'll have to do better than they did Monday.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I guess I expected that because I thought Fisher would be logical and realize how much the offense held this team back last year. At least a few of our losses could have been prevented if we had an offense that was merely average. And I expected when we mortgaged a shinola-load of draft picks to get the first pick of the draft, it indicated that he realized that we needed to change direction offensively. I also figured that, in choosing the guy who had the best arm talent and was able to attack all areas of the field with well placed throws meant that they knew they couldn't just do the short stuff and had to be more aggressive. It just seemed so logical.

But after what I witnessed last night, and what has transpired in training camp (Keenum sucking up almost all the reps with the 1's, too few reps for Goff), that Fisher and the offensive staff have learned nothing. They seem to think they can change some personnel around but run the same old schemes. It doesn't appear to dawn on them that their schemes might be the problem.

Sigh ...:oops:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
To me Case is a younger Shaun Hill. Nice backup to have. A guy who can keep the ship afloat for a handful of games. If he is your full time starter you'll need historically good defense and run games.

The line should be improved, but to will they reach their ceiling? What is their ceiling? They'll have to do better than they did Monday.

I wasn't expecting the GSOT, but Case looked Nick Foles bad.

Play calling, game plan were also total crap though.

Bad coaching mixed with poor execution

FRO

Legend
I wasn't expecting the GSOT, but Case looked Nick Foles bad.

Play calling, game plan were also total crap though.

Bad coaching mixed with poor execution
I may be in the minority, but I didn't think Case was all that great in 2015. He had one nice game and the rest he was below average to bad.