Why was the Defense so Bad Tonight?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We made Hoyer look like a franchise QB tonight... But I haven't heard anything about how tired the guys on defense must be. Fatigue had to be a factor for both teams. Four days ago the Niners did a helluva job against the Hawks. Four days ago we were allowing painful straight ahead runs by the Skins....We both looked like @ss on defense tonight.

They did make a couple of critical stops at the bitter end of the game (INT by Brockers and the sack by Donald on the last 4th down). I acknowledge that we may not have the people for a 3-4 defense, but I want to give it another week before lynching Wade.....

Debacled

Starter
Ill timed penalties and the usual ineptitude of Triplett honestly. More than a few of those drives were extended by questionable penalties.

That and the turnovers really. Can't have special teams fumbling like they did.

BeefJurky

Rookie
People will say "scheme change" but its more than that.
Guys were losing their 1 on 1s and a lot of times were just straight up out of place.
Failure to make adjustments.
Getting bullied on 3rd downs.

Donald's and Barron's late game hero plays aside, and a few takeaways, the defense was trash.

Last week we got gashed by Redskins RBs. We lost mostly because of that.
Now we got shredded by Brain Fucking Hoyer. Damn near lost because of that too.

Something's gotta change. The football world hyped up Wade with the Rams talent and at this point I'd be happy to just look decent. Let alone improving under Wade (from a top 10 squad last year that is).

Btw isn't it funny - who would have guessed last year we'd be relying on our offense to bail out our D and ST?

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Ill timed penalties and the usual ineptitude of Triplett honestly. More than a few of those drives were extended by questionable penalties.

That and the turnovers really. Can't have special teams fumbling like they did.

Absolutely spot on. Too many penalties at inopportune times. Too many turnovers providing good field position. And let's not mention Tripleshit. Needless to say d a couple of heads scratching decisions tonight, both ways I might add.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Still too early...Yeah defense blah blah blah. Whatever. Just think of it as a lesson learned. I am confident after this huuuuge break things will get on track...

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Sonofbum treated the entire defensive staff including players to All You Can Eat at Waffle House, late Wednesday night somewhere near Santa Clara.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely spot on. Too many penalties at inopportune times. Too many turnovers providing good field position. And let's not mention Tripleshit. Needless to say d a couple of heads scratching decisions tonight, both ways I might add.

killed the rams today. that offside penalty on the whiners first punt and tavon's fumble gave the whiners 10 points. who knows what would have happened if they weren't committed. the rams may have been 20 ahead at the half. the offside penalty definitely gave the whiners a new lease of life. jumping offside on a punt, that's straight up a cut monday morning offence.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I feel like WP D is making everyone jittery. Fact of the matter is when you got a D transitioning into a better D you get a D....Think of it as a major transition. That D will eventually become an A. Overall we can see a huge difference, B thankful for what you C thus far.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
@LoyalRam I mentioned it in another post yesterday that we had the ability to make Hoyer look pro-bowl, I've not seen the game yet, but from the clips I've seen we managed just that. I'm just glad that our O gave us the win (that was nice to say). But from what I've seen against a better team we lose.

BUT a win is a WIN AND we can score points with this O!!!!!!

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Special teams didn't help out with shit field position off fumbles, but they need to tighten up and a lot of it comes down to player execution and common sense.

I mean, on that deep ball to Goodwin before the end of the 3rd quarter, where is Mo Alexander looking? He looks towards the right sideline instead of left to the receiver to his left and fails to locate and make a play on the ball. Why in the hell did he look away from the action?

Some stuff needs to be tightened up, obviously, but they got 10 days to get some of it worked out and they need it when they go against Dallas.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@LoyalRam I mentioned it in another post yesterday that we had the ability to make Hoyer look pro-bowl, I've not seen the game yet, but from the clips I've seen we managed just that. I'm just glad that our O gave us the win (that was nice to say). But from what I've seen against a better team we lose.

BUT a win is a WIN AND we can score points with this O!!!!!!
We hired Wade Phillips for a reason, and the guy has the credentials to fix this defense...*shrugs...Like I said, I want to wait to see what magic he can do to fix things in the next 10 days...or at least make us mediocre so that the offense could beat the Cowboys straight up.....

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We hired Wade Phillips for a reason, and the guy has the credentials to fix this defense...*shrugs...Like I said, I want to wait to see what magic he can do to fix things in the next 10 days...or at least make us mediocre so that the offense could beat the Cowboys straight up.....

I agree - I'm not calling for his head (just yet) - I knew there were going to be teething problems and some missed assignments etc, but our D is making us beatable by anyone on our schedule. We've not faced a good QB yet. I'm just a little nervous - which makes a change, I'm usually worried about our O!

Rainram

Starter
Countess' offsides gave them points
Austin's fumble gave them points
Quinn's offsides have them points
Cooper's fumble gave them points

That was 20-24 points that was easily preventable! Two games in a row of poor discipline.

I won't mention referee mistakes because that went both ways.

Our secondary and LBers played poorly. Period. Hoyer was only average, but give credit where it's due, Garçon and Goodwin made a few really good catches!!

I'm not sure what the Niner boards are like right now, but there were a lot of parallels for both teams tonight. From questionable penalties, to untimely drops, to injured players. Both teams got gritty, we just managed to hang on for the win.

Can't make mistakes boys!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Wade will get it fixed. They're only 3 games into a significant scheme change.

This is the perfect time for a mini-bye because the Cowboys offense is much better than any of the teams faced so far although they still seem to be figuring things out too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade will get it fixed. They're only 3 games into a significant scheme change.

This is the perfect time for a mini-bye because the Cowboys offense is much better than any of the teams faced so far although they still seem to be figuring things out too.
If he does, we are a playoff team....and that's not homerism.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I've just watched some extended highlights - we were pants on D - our secondary seemed always out of position - and we have to stop turning the ball over - too many fumbles for my liking. Ball freakin' Retention guys!!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully it's just a gelling issue
MSPnXzt.png