Why was the Defense so Bad Tonight?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
People will say "scheme change" but its more than that.
Guys were losing their 1 on 1s and a lot of times were just straight up out of place.
Failure to make adjustments.
Getting bullied on 3rd downs.

Donald's and Barron's late game hero plays aside, and a few takeaways, the defense was trash.

Last week we got gashed by Redskins RBs. We lost mostly because of that.
Now we got shredded by Brain freaking Hoyer. Damn near lost because of that too.

Something's gotta change. The football world hyped up Wade with the Rams talent and at this point I'd be happy to just look decent. Let alone improving under Wade (from a top 10 squad last year that is).

Btw isn't it funny - who would have guessed last year we'd be relying on our offense to bail out our D and ST?
We was not a top 10 defense last year u can say we have the talen... But we wasn't top 10... We need lb... And probably a corner.... Try was exposed by Garcon

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Strangely I have more confidence in the offense than the defense right now.

Glad we have 10 days to work on it. In some regards, it's good we've struggled a little (perhaps) to keep things grounded. We've got work to do.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
yeah....

not sure what's the problem....maybe some players aren't comfortable....even with penalties...should still just get the next 3 and out...

Tackling in secondary by Mo Alexander.....NRC is feast or famine kinda player...Joyner pulled something? Hoyer started terrified after pick, then started playing like Joe Montana....Tru got straight beat by an old, slow guy....allegedly. LOL

We did slow Hyde....there's that.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Tru is not going to have a favorable rating this game.

I was watching quinn line up offsides and shaking my head remembering the last time he did that and saying how the hell does this happen.

Maybe the starters not playing or practice during preseason has had an effect, huh?

Also, we don't have webster or gaines in the secondary and m'lady, Countess, doesn't instill much confidence.

I think the defense will get much better because the scheme works, the talent is there, and up till now, the problems have been things that actually can be improved upon or eliminated.

Who would have thought that our offense would be out playing the d after 3 weeks?

As Collinsworth said, "greatest show on surf"

TexasRam

Legend
Here is the good:

The run defense really stepped up keeping Hyde around 80 yards and no big runs. Huge turnaround from the Redskins game.

The defense essentially gave up 20 points.

The game was by all intents and purposes over with 8 minutes left Rams 41 Niners 26. The stupid 4th down offsides by countess earlier allowed Niners to get to 26.

With 8 minutes left the Niners used 4th down conversions and targeting Troy Hill constantly. On critical conversions and for the TD. Flash back to last week when Countess was targeted for the winning TD.

The kick return fumble and on side kick are things you clean up. Otherwise it's a 20 point performance for the Niners. It looked much worse than it was.

2 things we need to do to get the defense playing top 10 defense and to propel us to the playoffs:

1 Health- Webster and Joyner need to get healthy. With Robey Coleman forced to the outside guys like Troy Hill get too much play time and that will always mean huge pass plays for opposing offenses.

2 LB blitzing - Olgeltree is virtually useless right now in pass defense trying to cover backs and TE's. Qb's are getting to much comfort back there with a predictable 4 man rush that we implement. I send Olgeltree and Barron down the A gap to hurry QB's. Im also getting safety blitz's fired up. Trumaine has one weakness and that is he doesn't cover the long ball that well. A blitz negates that.

~lyser

Rookie
I gotta think it is learning the new scheme. They have talent all over the place at every level and we know Wade is a winner.

Funny thing is, I read all about how "Wade puts players in position to maximize their talents and just play". Well, they look like they are doing a lot of "thinking" out there right now.

Early days, they will get it together.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I can say is... they better get it figured out by the DAL game.

DAL has an excellent Oline (one of, if not the best in the league) and Elliott is a very good runner.

Then there's Bryant... and, although he's pretty old now, Witten.

DAL will be the toughest test for the Rams defense thus far... by a wide margin.

They simply must figure out the discipline and assignment issues before that game or I fear it will end fugly.

I was waiting to decide whether to go to the DAL game.. I will now.

I've gone to a lot of Rams-DAL games... and almost every time, it's been embarrassing.

Please Rams... don't do it to me again... please!!!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
All I can say is... they better get it figured out by the DAL game.

DAL has an excellent Oline (one of, if not the best in the league) and Elliott is a very good runner.

Then there's Bryant... and, although he's pretty old now, Witten.

DAL will be the toughest test for the Rams defense thus far... by a wide margin.

They simply must figure out the discipline and assignment issues before that game or I fear it will end fugly.

I was waiting to decide whether to go to the DAL game.. I will now.

I've gone to a lot of Rams-DAL games... and almost every time, it's been embarrassing.

Please Rams... don't do it to me again... please!!!!

Its going to be a learning curve throughout this entire season, but yes a plan needs to be established ahead of time. Lots of film and preparation.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its going to be a learning curve throughout this entire season, but yes a plan needs to be established ahead of time. Lots of film and preparation.
Yeah, don't get me wrong... I am so pleased with the overall improvement of this team!

Giddy, you might say.

Maybe I'm starting to get greedy... I am feeling pretty darned good about the offense and visions of what this team can be if the defense gets figured out dance in my head...

Then I get a woodie... :shocked:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
yeah....

not sure what's the problem....maybe some players aren't comfortable....even with penalties...should still just get the next 3 and out...

Tackling in secondary by Mo Alexander.....NRC is feast or famine kinda player...Joyner pulled something? Hoyer started terrified after pick, then started playing like Joe Montana....Tru got straight beat by an old, slow guy....allegedly. LOL

We did slow Hyde....there's that.

I have a feeling this is why we never paid Tru. The guy just isn't as advertised. Top corners don't get beat by Garcon the way he did. And it happened on multiple guys he was covering last night.

I also think Wades scheme is too complicated for these guys at the moment. It looks like theres a lot of thinking going on out there rather than reaction. We have to remember we are going thru a major scheme change.
However, McVay needs to step in and be the HC and give Wade a suggestion to simplify it a little for the guys for the time being until they all grasp the concepts. I rememeber having a similar issue with GW when he first came to the Rams. A lot guys being out of position, playing slow, trying to be the hero etc. Fisher stepped in and had GW dial it back and it paid dividends. Hopefully MV does the same because I see it as the same issue.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We hired Wade Phillips for a reason, and the guy has the credentials to fix this defense...*shrugs...Like I said, I want to wait to see what magic he can do to fix things in the next 10 days...or at least make us mediocre so that the offense could beat the Cowboys straight up.....

I have been critical of switching defenses from the start. I am backing off a bit. It is what it is and we can't expect all of the pieces to fit. Hopefully they can identify the weakest links and find replacements by next summer.

I think Mo and Ogletree are two of the biggest culprits. Plus Phillips needs some very smart, elite coverage corners. I doubt they can afford to sign any though. They will have to pay Donald and Watkins in the off-season. This could mean Ogletree is allowed to walk and Littleton replaces him. Then target a first round corner in the draft. If Barron keeps improving then good but if not then move him into Mo's spot. Getting a second inside linebacker shouldn't be tough in the draft, or free agency. Those moves would go a long way for improving the D.

Brown and Havenstein have started to pick up their play. I don't see OLine as an urgent need in round 1 at the present time. So a corner could be ripe for the picking in the draft.

BeefJurky

Rookie
We was not a top 10 defense last year u can say we have the talen... But we wasn't top 10... We need lb... And probably a corner.... Try was exposed by Garcon

Says who? You?
True defense rankings had us at 9.

And we were probably even better than that considering how the offense kept our defense on the field all game. And the whole thing about the last 4 or so games they basically gave up and got blown out a few weeks in a row.

So top 9 for sure, and probably actually even better.
Now? I'll be happy if they can just look top 15.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I also think Wades scheme is too complicated for these guys at the moment.
that's funny, cause son of bum says his defense IS simple and allows guys to play fast....I heard the same about Williams too...and then heard it's complicated with all the different blitz packages.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
its all about pressure we arent getting any right now. AD better step it up or i dont pay him what he wants. he had one good play last night and was awol the rest of the game. Mo? not sure whats going on with him and AO but they are bad. we need to beat one on ones on the line and we arent doing that.

jv_berner

UDFA
Name
Jv_Berner
One play that really bugged me was the 3rd and long, that Garcon out muscled Tru for the ball. Like that is just bad Fundamentals all he had to do was tackle behind the line and the dumby tried to make a huge play an intercept the ball.
Which then of course Garcon runs through a tackle and gets the first.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
I don't think we're factoring in how Donald's addition drastically changes assignments and responsibilities.

He is equivalent to Von Miller for the Broncos and Khalil Mack for the Raiders.

While the scheme itself doesn't change, our D should always allow Donald a chance to penetrate or rush the passer while other guys focus on setting edges or filling gaps.

Other guys have been over pursuing/rushing since Training Camp and so they're continuing to do so in the season.

Our best pressure guy is back, let him rush and just do your job!

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Here is my biggest fear, Philips is without a doubt a great DC, but he doesnt stay in one place for too long. And he's getting older. I do not want to break up a top 4-3 defense to rebuild to a good 3-4 in two seasons and then have him go somewhere else or retire.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm actually really surprised by the holes that are being opened at the LOS. Last year this didn't happen. Not sure if the 3/4 change is sending Quinn/Barwin too wide and leaving us exposed or what. It's very concerning. They scored 12 points in two games and get over 400 yards against us. That has to change quickly. The GOOD teams will kill us if we don't start playing better D.
It's almost amazing to say the offense looks great and the D is the problem :0