Why was the Defense so Bad Tonight?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
What bothered me was the safety play. Garcon was one on one w/ Johnson. In the past you always had a safety coming over to at least clean up the play. there was nobody.....I mean nobody along the back end on most plays. I know we might have been in strange coverage on some of the bigger plays but that was very noticeable.
Another thing, we look very much out of sorts when either middle LB "shoot the gap" (A or B gap...). Either they are over telegraphing their intentions or it's very easy for o-lineman to simply "wash them inside as there is no fill after the initial defensive line. maybe the guys don't exactly understand their assignments or how to hide what they are attempting to do. But it usually created an "Oklahoma Drill" outside and we all know who usually ends up winning that.........

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think we're factoring in how Donald's addition drastically changes assignments and responsibilities.

He is equivalent to Von Miller for the Broncos and Khalil Mack for the Raiders.

While the scheme itself doesn't change, our D should always allow Donald a chance to penetrate or rush the passer while other guys focus on setting edges or filling gaps.

Other guys have been over pursuing/rushing since Training Camp and so they're continuing to do so in the season.

Our best pressure guy is back, let him rush and just do your job!
hate to disagree, but those guys aren't comparable to Aaron Donald!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Hate to blame the officials, but the Rams won despite the officials ineptitude, which I hear is what good teams do. It amazes me how they can see the most subtle glancing blow of the QBs helmet if the helmet doesnt have horns on it, but they cant see the 300+# OL with his arm wrapped around the neck of a Rams DL, pulling him to the ground. And I must admit it does feel good to see the officials make bad calls both ways, maybe this is the improved product that comes with professional officials.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Well, in their last game, the Rams gave up 229 yards to the 'Skins at a 5.8 ypc clip.
In their last game, the 9ers got 159 yards on the Squawks at over 8.3 ypc.
This game the Rams held the 9ers to 113 yards at 3.4 ypc.

So, statistically the run defense improved! Sure, Hyde had the butt boo boo, but w/e. Maybe there was some scheme sacrifice/positioning in stopping the run at the cost of pass defense, and short week and all . . . . yeah I'm grasping at straws.

What's not grasping at straws is that I'm not convinced that Tru is a number one corner in a man-dominant defense - and that was before Miami last year (someone have the all-22 on the late AD sack in AZ?). Also between the Brissett lob and that Hoyer lob over the middle, where in both you had a corner and safety seemingly in good position, our DB ball tracking might be lacking -- feels like a Hail Mary is going to be completed against this defense the way they're playing now.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm still laughing about this............. :rolllaugh:

You're right, this has been going on since the preseason. I mentioned over pursuing in my other post and didn't think to say that it's been happening from the start. This has to get fixed or the turd named Ezekiel will have a big day.

I hate to say this but that seems to be all Quinn has these days.......his move to bend around the corner. And he gets pushed out of plays too often, it's been happening for a few seasons. If he can out-quick a guy he gets pressure or sometimes a sack, but if the lineman gets two hands squarely on him he is out of the play.

Sure starting to seem that way isn't it Les. If the 19 sack guy was out there this D would be scary.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Last night all Rob Quinn managed to do as our starting weak-side edge rusher is No sacks No Tackles just 1 assisted tack!
On the last play of the game...Quinn was near Aaron Donalds sack...He was on one knee...and was...I guess in a position that he basically was....I'd call it submission...kinda letting the O-lineman know, hey the play is over...then Donald almost slams Hoyer into the back of their legs...His head was down...He just seems like a shell of himself....

Back injuries are no joke.