Why to Buy into "Manziel to Rams' rumors/SI.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Having watched every game one of Warner's very best seasons was the year he started 10 games....I think right before Leinart was drafted. He was operating with one of the worst lines ever put together, zero running game and a bad D. The numbers don't pop but he was playing at an elite level that season.
I know there's no interest in being fair to Leinart but before he injured his shoulder numerous times, he played pretty well as a rookie. That was his main problem. He couldn't stay healthy. That's the only reason Warner got another chance.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
1550 on SAT---that is right at or near genius level, isn't it....I trust the SAT more than the wonderlic (for NFL players). I could have sworn Tony Banks had a 42....maybe I had it backwards (24)
Much depends on whether that's 1550 out of 1600 in the old system, or 1550 out of 2400 in the new system.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know there's no interest in being fair to Leinart but before he injured his shoulder numerous times, he played pretty well as a rookie. That was his main problem. He couldn't stay healthy. That's the only reason Warner got another chance.
I remember him playing great against the Bears on a night game. He had some sort of spark, appeared to have that "it" factor.
But then again, so did Cade Mcnown. Lol

moklerman

Warner-phile
Much depends on whether that's 1550 out of 1600 in the old system, or 1550 out of 2400 in the new system.
Which reminds me, not that it really matters, but Manziel didn't score the highest Wonderlic of ANY QB in this draft, just the highest of the top prospects. And, just as a reminder, Bradford's 36 was higher. ;)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
th

moklerman

Warner-phile
I remember him playing great against the Bears on a night game. He had some sort of spark, appeared to have that "it" factor.
But then again, so did Cade Mcnown. Lol
McNown? I don't recall him ever doing anything and I was rooting for the guy(my girlfriend at the time was going to UCLA so I followed the Bruins). Talk about a personality case though.

But yeah, Leinart was looking good in 2006. Put up 400+ yards vs. Minnesota as well as looking good vs. Chicago in the Denny Green post game meltdown MNF game.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Which reminds me, not that it really matters, but Manziel didn't score the highest Wonderlic of ANY QB in this draft, just the highest of the top prospects. And, just as a reminder, Bradford's 36 was higher. ;)
Of course, no one beats Ryan Fitzpatrick's 48.
03pg-vertical.jpg

moklerman

Warner-phile
Of course, no one beats Ryan Fitzpatrick's 48.
03pg-vertical.jpg
I've still got a lot of respect for ol' Harvard. Guy may not be the greatest QB there ever was but he's had a helluva career for a guy drafted in the 7th round and coming from the Ivy League.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McNown? I don't recall him ever doing anything and I was rooting for the guy(my girlfriend at the time was going to UCLA so I followed the Bruins). Talk about a personality case though.

But yeah, Leinart was looking good in 2006. Put up 400+ yards vs. Minnesota as well as looking good vs. Chicago in the Denny Green post game meltdown MNF game.
Mcnown showed some flashes as a rookie, had a 300 yard 4 td game late in the season, then opened with a great game vs Minnesota, 290 yards passing, 80+ rushing, 3 total td. Looked like he was the real deal for a minute.
I had him on my fantasy football team and lived through the next couple of disaster games before his poor play and poor attitude killed his career

moklerman

Warner-phile
Mcnown showed some flashes as a rookie, had a 300 yard 4 td game late in the season, then opened with a great game vs Minnesota, 290 yards passing, 80+ rushing, 3 total td. Looked like he was the real deal for a minute.
I had him on my fantasy football team and lived through the next couple of disaster games before his poor play and poor attitude killed his career
I guess it's a) been too long(my memory's akin to an etch-a-sketch and I've been shaken far too many times) and b) his personality problems must have outweighed anything he did on the field. I know he was a big deal for the Bruins but I just didn't recall him having any success with the Bears. Hope and hype I remember but not actual success. Thanks for the reminder.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I can't wait til the draft is over, then all the Manziel fan girls can go watch him play for another team.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I can't wait til the draft is over, then all the Manziel fan girls can go watch him play for another team.
Dude, that's not necessary.

With one exception, all of those who have expressed interest in Manziel are (to the best of my knowledge) male. Liking someone you don't like doesn't make them a girl.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have no problem with Leinart and I don't think he was terrible actually. He just couldn't make certain throws. When Ds started to get a boom on that it was going to be tough. I don't think he was handled correctly either.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Having watched every game one of Warner's very best seasons was the year he started 10 games....I think right before Leinart was drafted. He was operating with one of the worst lines ever put together, zero running game and a bad D. The numbers don't pop but he was playing at an elite level that season.

i meant the year they drafted leinart. kurt started as the player of the week in week 1 then it all went pear shaped for him. not sure what happened but he couldn't get anything going. and naturally after a couple of losses the howls to start leinart were deafening.

leinart had a couple of good games to begin but as you said as soon as d coordinators got some tape on him it was all over for him. not sure the cards won a single game with him that season, maybe 1.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

sorry, not true. whisenhunt couldn't keep kurt off the field. the offense would lumber with leinart on the field then whiz would bring on kurt to spark things up. his time on the field increased every game up until leinart got injured, then kurt took over. i'm sure the whiz privately was jumping for joy as the only possible explanation for playing leinart would have been pressure from the owner.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So if we take Manziel, who is going to be his Evans that goes up in a crowd and gets the ball or breaks off his route very early to come back toward him? Are we going to pull off another Tavon/Sted draft? I see too many passes by Manziel just flung up in hopes of a play. Do that against AZ or Seattle and you can count on a multi-pick Sunday.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't want Manziel.
If for some reason we take him @ 2, I hope he is better than rg3.
I would love to get a better qb with Washingtons pick, than the qb they traded for to begin with.
OK. FINALLY a rationale I can get behind.

I doubt we take Manziel but even if we do, it does not mean we instantly trade Sam. Both potentially become trade bait and the best man stays.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah. True.
It is funny how it goes and how money influences things. Leinart starts and a HOF QB is on the bench. Nice call coach.

It cost him his job or it was a huge part of it. He was stuck. Play the #11 pick with the big contract and leave Warner on the bench or admit you picked the wrong guy.

That was all she wrote LOL.

fearsomefour

Legend
i meant the year they drafted leinart. kurt started as the player of the week in week 1 then it all went pear shaped for him. not sure what happened but he couldn't get anything going. and naturally after a couple of losses the howls to start leinart were deafening.

leinart had a couple of good games to begin but as you said as soon as d coordinators got some tape on him it was all over for him. not sure the cards won a single game with him that season, maybe 1.

I think it was in Whizs' first year when Leinart was still starting and Warner would come in and run the no huddle. The Cards D was pretty solid at that point. I just remember the Cards at Ravens game that year. Leinart plays 3 quarters and change and I think put up 6 points, Warner came in with the no huddle and just went off, unstoppable even on the road vs. that D....good stuff.