Why to Buy into "Manziel to Rams' rumors/SI.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Why to buy into 'Johnny Manziel to Rams' rumors

Vinnie Iyer
May 5, 2014 1:05pm EDT

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...rs-texans-browns-jaguars-cowboys-sam-bradford
Since the St. Louis Rams got their closer look at Johnny Manziel last Friday, the notion of them drafting the former Texas A&M quarterback in the first round of Thursday's NFL draft has become a groundswell. While we're almost near the end of "lying season", there's reason to believe Manziel is in serious play for them.

Before they visited Manziel in Texas, it felt like they would be (and have been) more interested in his two Aggies teammates, offensive tackle Jake Matthews and wide receiver Mike Evans. Sitting on No. 2 and No. 13, they should have been seeing the opportunity to possibly get both players.

But as much as the Rams have been pubicly behind Sam Bradford as their starting quarterback, it's getting harder to ignore what Manziel can do for them. More so than having Matthews block for Bradford or either Evans or Clemson's Sammy Watkins make big catches for Bradford's, Manziel is their fastest ticket to what they've been missing for a while: a dynamic, creative offense worthy of putting on a greater turf show.
----
Adam Caplan @caplannfl
Popular theory with personnel execs. RT @LanceZierlein: Greg Cosell just said he believe Johnny Manziel will go #2 to the Rams.
----
According to SI's Peter King, Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was wowed by Manziel's workout, and as a whole they "like him a lot". The Schottenheimer surname always invokes a conservative offense that's more there to complete a strong defense, which St. Louis has. But even Brian has to see the limitations of what Bradford can give them.

It's different if the Rams are in a bad divison and can afford to be more patient with the oft-injured Bradford. In the NFC West, they're chasing Seattle (Russell Wilson) and San Francisco (Colin Kaepernick) who already have their dazzling young guns to go with their defnses. Also ahead of them was Arizona, who found better QB stability in Carson Palmer last season and seems ready to bring in its new franchise passer in this year's draft.

The real holdups in the Rams going for Manziel to replace Bradford were a) the $14 million in base salary the 2010 No. 1 overall pick is owed in '14 and b) the ability to work Manziel into a more traditional offensive philopshy. Those are less of contstraints on the organization now. Besides, if they take him at No. 2, they would have Manziel for less guaranteed money over the four years they would need to pay Bradford over the next two years (nearly $27 million).

It will either need to be Manziel at No. 2 or using that and the other pick to make some kind of trade down in between to get Manziel. If they stay put, they shouldn't expect he'll still be around at No. 13.

Many Rams fans are ruing the fact their team didn't just take current Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III second overall in 2012. Back in the same spot because of that trade with Washington, we'll see if they pull the trigger early on a simliar, excitement- and attention-drawing quarterback.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm kind of hoping we take him at #2. I like what he can bring to this team.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
No rams fans are ruing the fact that we didn't take RG3. What a fucking idiot.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Manziel can make big plays with his legs, which is gold against teams like the 9ers and Seahawks. I love his ability to help win games that are close. Sam will never be more than a pocket passer. I'm all for it if we can pull it off.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
What about manziels ability to make plays with his arm? You know, like a quarterback?

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I've been a Manziel fan since his high school days. I've never watched a superstar improve each year like Manziel has. In 2013 Manziel ran 65 less times than his Heisman year. Manziel threw 14 more TD's in 2013 then in his Heisman year. Highest wonderlic Score of any QB in draft. 1550 SAT score. Best running quarter in draft. Best QB at extending plays in draft. Magic Man.

Rotoworld- Comments and stats on Manziel's long ball from the pocket.

For all the criticism Manziel gets, he’s extremely good at hitting his targets downfield. His ‘NFL type’ throws in the 11-20 yard range is the highest in the top 8 QBs in this class at 70.5% and he’s slightly better than Bortles at hitting the 20+ yard throws.

- Before we start getting into the debates about Manziel scrambling around the heaving it up for Mike Evans…his accuracy was similar when throwing solely from the pocket, hitting 67% of his 11-20 yard passes and 59% of his 20+ yard passes
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45952/349/2014s-quarterback-conundrum

If Roger Staubach and Brett Farve were to have a baby. And Kenny the Snake Stabler and Steve Young were to have babies. And their babies were to mate and have a boy baby, His Name would be Johnny Football. Mark my words.

rdw

Pro Bowler
I've been a Manziel fan since his high school days. I've never watched a superstar improve each year like Manziel has. In 2013 Manziel ran 65 less times than his Heisman year. Manziel threw 14 more TD's in 2013 then in his Heisman year. Highest wonderlic Score of any QB in draft. 1550 SAT score. Best running quarter in draft. Best QB at extending plays in draft. Magic Man.

Rotoworld- Comments and stats on Manziel's long ball from the pocket.

For all the criticism Manziel gets, he’s extremely good at hitting his targets downfield. His ‘NFL type’ throws in the 11-20 yard range is the highest in the top 8 QBs in this class at 70.5% and he’s slightly better than Bortles at hitting the 20+ yard throws.

- Before we start getting into the debates about Manziel scrambling around the heaving it up for Mike Evans…his accuracy was similar when throwing solely from the pocket, hitting 67% of his 11-20 yard passes and 59% of his 20+ yard passes
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45952/349/2014s-quarterback-conundrum

If Roger Staubach and Brett Farve were to have a baby. And Kenny the Snake Stabler and Steve Young were to have babies. And their babies were to mate and have a boy baby, His Name would be Johnny Football. Mark my words.

Great post due to your use of a Heart song...

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I get that he's a talented dude and a dynamic playmaker, but in my opinion we already have a franchise QB. I don't see the logic in taking a player in a position that to me is not an obvious need, particularly when you consider glaring holes elsewhere. O-line and secondary help are what this team is lacking.

What we absolutely do not need is a QB controversy, nor a no. 2 overall pick who is not going to play. So if we are serious about manziel we better have a plan in place to shift Sam.

I can't believe I've even typed that sentence. I fucking love me some Sam.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yep the Rams fans are all Rueing missing out on a dynamic running QB in RGIII, who runs too much, is too quick to abort plays and is a bit self centered and egotistical, and is also coming off a major knee injury because of his run first mentality..........instead of all of the extra draft picks they got in exchange, including another pick at #2 that would allow them to draft another dynamic running QB, who runs too much, is too quick to abort plays and is a bit self centered and egotistical, and will probably be an injury concern just like RGIII and Mike Vick.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yep the Rams fans are all Rueing missing out on a dynamic running QB in RGIII, who runs too much, is too quick to abort plays and is a bit self centered and egotistical, and is also coming off a major knee injury because of his run first mentality..........instead of all of the extra draft picks they got in exchange, including another pick at #2 that would allow them to draft another dynamic running QB, who runs too much, is too quick to abort plays and is a bit self centered and egotistical, and will probably be an injury concern just like RGIII and Mike Vick.

(y)

Right on the money.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No. The only quarterback in this draft that I would even consider replacing Bradford with is Bortles, and I'd still rather have Bradford.

I hope to fucking fate that this is a smokescreen. I really do. I honestly don't believe that Manziel will be successful in the NFL. His throwing mechanics are shit, he still likes to run more than pass, he benefitted from Evans and his offensive line, he's rail-thin, and to top it all off, he's a smug, self-entitled egomaniac whose off-the-field transgressions are more notable than his on-the-field prowess.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I get that he's a talented dude and a dynamic playmaker, but in my opinion we already have a franchise QB. I don't see the logic in taking a player in a position that to me is not an obvious need, particularly when you consider glaring holes elsewhere. O-line and secondary help are what this team is lacking.

What we absolutely do not need is a QB controversy, nor a no. 2 overall pick who is not going to play. So if we are serious about manziel we better have a plan in place to shift Sam.

I can't believe I've even typed that sentence. I freaking love me some Sam.
Sam, our franchise QB gets injured every other year. It doesn't get easier as you get older. The same critics who worry about Manziel's injury future, disregard Bradford's injury past. The past predicts the future. If Bradford get injured again next year, or underperforms in 2014 than we will have to cut Sam because Bradford's trade value will drop like a giant extinction meteor thru the Earth's crust! And we will suffer yet another Nuclear Winter. Gutsy call? Trade Bradford now!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If the Rams do this, I'll try my best to support it, but I feel this would be a terrible move as Manziel has huge bust potential.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sam, our franchise QB gets injured every other year. It doesn't get easier as you get older. The same critics who worry about Manziel's injury future, disregard Bradford's injury past. The past predicts the future. If Bradford get injured again next year, or underperforms in 2014 than we will have to cut Sam because Bradford's trade value will drop like a giant extinction meteor thru the Earth's crust! And we will suffer yet another Nuclear Winter. Gutsy call? Trade Bradford now!

Ole Broke down Pappy Bradford.

rdw

Pro Bowler

..b-b-but RGIII keeps dolls in his locker!

A55VA6

Legend
Like what?.......more losses?

But hey, they'd be exciting when they lose though........:confused:

o_O

And we've done what since Bradford became our QB? 4 consecutive losing seasons with a competitive defense but no offense?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No rams fans are ruing the fact that we didn't take RG3. What a freaking idiot.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.

Manziel can make big plays with his legs, which is gold against teams like the 9ers and Seahawks. I love his ability to help win games that are close. Sam will never be more than a pocket passer. I'm all for it if we can pull it off.

It's really not. What's gold against a team like San Francisco or Seattle is protecting the ball.