Why Sammy is WIN-WIN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
I really think he should have gotten the hang of things by now.
he has
For the third straight game, wide receiver Sammy Watkins has caught a touchdown pass and generated a passer rating when targeted at or above 97.9 for the second straight week. In that same three-week span Watkins has averaged a first down or touchdown on 42.9 percent of his 21 targets, well above the league average in that time period which is 37.6 percent of targets. Watkins is now one of only four receivers to have at least 37 targets and not have dropped a single pass all season.

train

Rambo

UDFA
He cant pass it to himself. He can only catch as many passes that are thrown to him.

fearsomefour

Legend
They will have a boat load of FA money in 2018, so I imagine that is the difference between years past.
Lets hope Sammy is as awesome as we think and he re-signs no problem and the debate is moot....
He could take half of what Tavon got!!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Gotta love the pundits and egg-spurts. "Sammy is damaged goods", "Sammy gets the shaft", "Rams losers in risky trade of injury prone Sammy".

And what NFC West DBs are looking forward to facing the all new Ram WR group? McVay says he wants to protect Watkin's health and max his productivity. I see him making Austin earn his, setting Higbee & Everett loose and giving plenty of reps to Kupp, Cooper, and Reynolds all season long. Woods is our possession guy and Sammy will keep Ds honest. Even if it's a one year deal, Sammy came to the best possible place for his career!
Without Sammy we aren' were we are; without him Woods faced the top corner every week, and his production is in half.

TexasRam

Legend
he has
For the third straight game, wide receiver Sammy Watkins has caught a touchdown pass and generated a passer rating when targeted at or above 97.9 for the second straight week. In that same three-week span Watkins has averaged a first down or touchdown on 42.9 percent of his 21 targets, well above the league average in that time period which is 37.6 percent of targets. Watkins is now one of only four receivers to have at least 37 targets and not have dropped a single pass all season.

train

He has actually dropped a lot of passes. But they don't count them as drops because they are contested. Someone hits him in the back or on the hand after the ball hits his hands, and he drops it. I counted 4 drops in one game alone. But there are bigger concerns, he often quits on routes or isn't looking for the ball when he should. And he also doesn't adjust well to the ball in the air. His positives are top speed and acceleration, ability to break tackles and run with vision, great hands when not contested. Great burst to get into short routes.

I am not re-signing Sammy. He would get more on the open market on name alone then what value I would put on him which is less than Woods value at 7m per season. I would look for a possession TE like Burton and or a possession WR that can catch the ball when getting hit and run solid routes. That guy may already be on our roster too. I think Sammy frustrates Goff with his lack of adjusting to the ball but Jared is too classy a guy to say anything, not to mention Sammy is on this team this year and we need him.

To each his own, there are some players I like that others don't for various reasons as well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is this tongue-in-cheek? Because, if not, then your comment about how Watkins helps the other receivers is the same as how Austin helps on the jet sweeps.

This concept is so vague to me that I really struggle with it.

So, the real value of players like Austin and Watkins is as a decoy or occupying defenders. I guess I'd be OK with it if they came cheap. Austin does not and I'll take a guess Watkins will be asking for some serious jack after this year.

I'll see what he does the remainder of the year... but, if it's more of the same and he's asking for a big pay day? I'm out.
He’s not a decoy, he’s a legit wr. Our best deep threat and is like to see him get all of #11 snaps.
As for the doubling statement, the rams run a lot of crossing routes and it’s a pick your poison type sitch. D’s Had been doubling Kupp which had opened up some things for Woods and since he’s been out Watkins seems to be drawing the doubles exposing Kupp. His production isn’t what I’d like to see but he’s only seeing 4-5 targets a game. Once Austin is gone I’d like to see Sammy pick up those snaps.
Will he sign a reasonable deal? That’s a different story. I’m not giving him an Alshon Jeffrey deal that’s for sure

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The old reasonable deal comes to mind. I'm not sure what that is. Something like Woods deal 7.5-8.5M is a guess.
I don't see him asking anywhere near that low.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see him asking anywhere near that low.
I think he'll be in a similar situation to Alshon this past off season. He may need to sign a 1 year prove it deal if a contract like Woods has is too low

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Even as a fan, I wondered if anyone truly knows how to use a 'gadget' player?
No....by definition....gadget is not something you can rely on daily....IMO....
Greg Cosell of NFL films studied the Rams and said Watkins is open a lot. He repeated a couple times in a pod cast. Most of you heard it in another thread. Sorry no link. He said Sammy is the 3rd or 4rth option during the season. Rams OC Matt LaFleur said you can feel Sammy's power and they have to get him the ball early. I don't know why the Rams don't get him the ball.
Man!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems like they're just not on the same page...and that's the page Woods and Kupp have down pat.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Still feel the same on this CHAMP?
ahahahaahahahah......still time

but if his usage remains the same....Sammy would be a fool to stay.

definitely a big gamble....seems like we just threw them a 2nd round pick....and EJ Gaines.

Ram65

Legend
Man!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems like they're just not on the same page...and that's the page Woods and Kupp have down pat.

Well, the point is that Woods, Kupp and Gurley are ahead of him in QB progression looks. McVay has to figure out how to get Sammy earlier looks.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
For the amount of draft picks given up for this guy since he came into the league and the money he will be looking for I’m looking for elite WR numbers-not stats you see from a decent tight end. This guy has elite talent-when does he take over a game like a Jones, Hopkins, Brown, Green, etc? thought he’d step up with Woods going down but still only see him catching 1 to 5 yd slants in the end zone.

He's being doubled which has freed up Kupp, you might have noticed his production go up right?

Kupp, Woods, and Watkins is an amazing WR trio we need to keep them together as long as possible imo

The team is averaging 30 points a game and people still aren't happy with it?

Go watch some games from the past oh....10+ years or so?

Amazing how people can't see the forest for the trees.

All of these posts are on the money......dead on.

I counted 4 drops in one game alone.

What game........I doubt it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was a guess 7.5-8.5M.

How much will he ask?

Would you sign him?

I think he'll ask $12 million to $13 million per year. We might be able to keep him for $10 million per year if he really wants to be here.

Ram65

Legend
I think he'll ask $12 million to $13 million per year. We might be able to keep him for $10 million per year if he really wants to be here.

The numbers are skyrocketing.
https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Sounds good. I don't think he has done enough to get 4 year 12-13M contract. However, teams overpay for free agents. There still is more football remaining this season and hopefully playoffs to see if Sammy steps up.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
However, teams overpay for free agents. There still is more football remaining this season and hopefully playoffs to see if Sammy steps up.

He's 95th in receptions
He's 54th in receiving yards
He's 33rd in 20 yard+ plays.
He's 26th in 40 yard+ plays.
He's 9th in receiving TD's.
Gurley is #1 in total TD's (13) and Watkins is #17 in total TDs (7) out of how many RBs/TEs and WRs?
The Rams are 9-4, probably a playoff team and he's had ALOT to do with that.
Somebody will pay him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-winning-is-more-fun-than-chasing-statistics/

Sammy Watkins found out winning is more fun than chasing statistics
Posted by Josh Alper on December 15, 2017

879790370-e1513354372570.jpg

Getty Images

Wide receiver Sammy Watkins moved to a new team this summer when the Bills traded him to the Rams and he’s been part of the major turnaround that’s taken his team from the bottom of the barrel to the thick of the playoff race.

Watkins says that he’s undergone a big turnaround as well. Tyler Dunne of Bleacher Report recounted covering Watkins early in his time with the Bills and listening to the wideout complain about needing “the ball at least 10 times” a game.

That kind of attitude is nothing new for an NFL wide receiver, but it is one that has evolved over the last few years and Watkins’ move to Los Angeles has him realizing that individual numbers aren’t the only thing in life.

“I was more of a statistics guy then,” Watkins said. “That’s what I was chasing. That’s what I thought the league was about. I had to learn because when you’re losing, things tend to creep into your mind: I should be getting the ball more. If I do get the ball more, we’d be winning. But half the times I did have two touchdowns and 170 yards, we’re losing. I found out that, hey, the fun is in the winning.”

Watkins has 34 catches in 13 games, so he’s well off that pace he desired earlier in his career. He’s scored seven touchdowns, though, and his presence has helped turn the Rams offense from the butt of jokes to an attack that can beat you in a multitude of ways. He’s also been healthy after missing eight games last season and the combination of all those factors seem to have put Watkins in a better frame of mind as his fourth NFL season winds down.

BadCompany

Rookie
Sammy Watkins Dropped the Diva Attitude and Got His Career Back on Track in L.A.
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Fires rage all around him with no end in sight. Sammy Watkins is, quite literally, in the eye of a storm.

About 25 miles west, the Thomas Fire destroys 237,500 (and counting) acres of forest. To the east, 35 miles away, the Creek Fire scorches more than 15,000 acres. To the southeast, 40 miles away, the Skirball Fire shuts down part of Highway 405.

There's no rhyme, no reason, only panic. The scene here in So Cal is downright apocalyptic—horses sprint in terror, entire sides of mountains glow bright orange, and Californians are evacuated in droves.

Watkins wonders aloud if he's next.

"Nighttime is when it really gets raging," he says. "I live in Simi Valley, so it's going crazy over there."

Here at the Rams' practice facility, a haunting cloud of smoke hovers off in the distance.

"I'll know by 10 o'clock if we should go find a hotel or not."

But that's it. Watkins doesn't get hung up on the fires. Or on targets, or injuries, or anybody labeling him a bust. Go ahead and eviscerate him on social media—he won't see it. He strides into the team's training room, without needing treatment for once, and relaxes atop a table in a contagious state of serenity. Zen. Beneath the hood covering his head is a man who cannot stop smiling.

In other words, a completely different Sammy Watkins than the one I remember.

The rest here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...titude-and-got-his-career-back-on-track-in-la

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's what we were saying about Jeffrey last off season and he settled for a lot less. I think Watkins is in the same boat