Why Sammy is WIN-WIN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bdfitz

UDFA
Gotta love the pundits and egg-spurts. "Sammy is damaged goods", "Sammy gets the shaft", "Rams losers in risky trade of injury prone Sammy".

And what NFC West DBs are looking forward to facing the all new Ram WR group? McVay says he wants to protect Watkin's health and max his productivity. I see him making Austin earn his, setting Higbee & Everett loose and giving plenty of reps to Kupp, Cooper, and Reynolds all season long. Woods is our possession guy and Sammy will keep Ds honest. Even if it's a one year deal, Sammy came to the best possible place for his career!

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Even if it's a one year deal, Sammy came to the best possible place for his career!
The Rams don't make out too poorly on a one year rental either. Gaines and the 6th round pick are basically a wash. That means the Rams gave up a 2nd round pick in exchange for Watkins and a likely 3rd round compensatory pick if he leaves. Not a horrible price to pay for a year of Watkins and the potential for a whole lot more if he stays healthy and signs a long term deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Best thing about this trade is look at the offenses that Sammy has produced in. Then consider what he might do under McVay's offense. It's a scary equation for division rivals.

He could get hurt of course, but hey, no guts no glory. Just like the Faulk move, very similar in that the Rams were in the right place at the right time, and it has a similar potential for impact on our offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That means the Rams gave up a 2nd round pick in exchange for Watkins and a likely 3rd round compensatory pick if he leaves
Well.... Not so sure about that. Its a foregone conclusion that the Rams will lose Tru in FA also. So its not a straight up pick for player lost deal. IIIRC its a net/net sitch so if the Rams lose Tru and Sammy in FA but sign a couple guys who contribute, it could be a wash

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Well.... Not so sure about that. Its a foregone conclusion that the Rams will lose Tru in FA also. So its not a straight up pick for player lost deal. IIIRC its a net/net sitch so if the Rams lose Tru and Sammy in FA but sign a couple guys who contribute, it could be a wash
From the way that Snead has handled free agency the last few years it appears he is following the Ravens and Steelers formula in signing players. When he has high compensation losses he has done a good job of only signing FAs that are offset by his lesser compensatory losses or were cut by their former teams. Draft picks are so valuable now that losing a pair of late 3rd round picks is probably enough to keep the Rams out of the high end FA market for a year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From the way that Snead has handled free agency the last few years it appears he is following the Ravens and Steelers formula in signing players. When he has high compensation losses he has done a good job of only signing FAs that are offset by his lesser compensatory losses or were cut by their former teams. Draft picks are so valuable now that losing a pair of late 3rd round picks is probably enough to keep the Rams out of the high end FA market for a year.
They will have a boat load of FA money in 2018, so I imagine that is the difference between years past.
Lets hope Sammy is as awesome as we think and he re-signs no problem and the debate is moot....

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
They will have a boat load of FA money in 2018, so I imagine that is the difference between years past.
Lets hope Sammy is as awesome as we think and he re-signs no problem and the debate is moot....
Agreed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He could get hurt of course, but hey, no guts no glory. Just like the Faulk move, very similar in that the Rams were in the right place at the right time, and it has a similar potential for impact on our offense.

I dunno man that was a total fleecing of the Colts. They were idiotic about the whole thing. Faulk had just gotten healthy again and had just led the NFL in yards from scrimmage. It was actually his second best year ever for that stat, better than every year with the Rams except 1999. And they handed him over to the Rams for a song.

I remember hearing about the trade and I was actually confused because it just COULDN'T have been that easy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno man that was a total fleecing of the Colts. They were idiotic about the whole thing. Faulk had just gotten healthy again and had just led the NFL in yards from scrimmage. It was actually his second best year ever for that stat, better than every year with the Rams except 1999. And they handed him over to the Rams for a song.

I remember hearing about the trade and I was actually confused because it just COULDN'T have been that easy.

No doubt. Faulk if I recall correctly, however, was undervalued at the time due to them drafting his replacement and his FA on the horizon. There were some in the media that downplayed it too, in the face of how good he was and what a perfect fit he was for Martz and this offense. And I think this deal for Watkins is similar in some ways, in that he's undervalued as a tradee to the Rams and a fit for McVay's offense.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Watkins have that sort of impact for us. Not a given, but possible.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I quickly googled who Sammy's agent is. . . and although the first two articles came back saying 'Sammy Watkins wants NFL players to get paid like NBA players' (same thing being said by Donald and Odell), his agent isn't the same as Aaron Donalds.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm gonna jump in here because I don't feel like starting a thread, but we did Sammy a favour. I'm watching the bills game right now. And they look TRASH. Tyrod is garbage. Didn't realize he was so bad. Very innacurate. Unless he's just having a bad day. He should have been picked off about 4 times now.

pipedream

UDFA
Name
pipedream
I'm gonna jump in here because I don't feel like starting a thread, but we did Sammy a favour. I'm watching the bills game right now. And they look TRASH. Tyrod is garbage. Didn't realize he was so bad. Very innacurate. Unless he's just having a bad day. He should have been picked off about 4 times now.
That's also why some of us thought Woods projected better than his past with the Bills.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sammy's been a bit of a disappointment. I feel like he quits too easily on some of those routes still. I don't blame Les for making the move, as it was a great attempt to inject that deep threat that he knew Tavon wouldn't be.

Still, gonna wait and see how this looks after the season. After the playoffs (I hope). It feels like Sammy's missin his fire, but that said it will look different overall if he goes on a good run to close things out. At that point he's adjusted to the offense and might be worth a payday moving forward.

nighttrain

Legend
Just checking, but who is leading the team in TD receptions?
SW with 7 TD receptions, TG has 10 total
Sammy's long is 67, and this was about 55 or better in the air, and that was early in the season. He did quit on a route early, McVay had a come to Jesus meeting with him, been all good since
train