Why Rams Last 9 Years May Be Worst In Nfl History - 101espn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Appreciate the clarification, Shane. But I have to ask what your end game is. If you widened your search, you'd see that the Rams weren't the worst team of the past decade, weren't the worst team in the 2000's (10 teams were worse), and weren't the worst team of the 20teens (3 teams were worse). You're also leaving a sizable portion of the reason for the team's sharp decline and struggle out of the picture. Over the past 9 years we've had a change in management that required an epic-scale house-cleaning, and I'd argue one of the worst injury records in the NFL from 2007-2013. I'm guessing you didn't want to give any reasons for the futility, but instead wanted to frame it and display it.

I understand the stadium lease issue more than I want to (because I don't live there), but I fail to see how it ties into the rest of your article. There's futility, and then there's the uncertainty about their future in the Gateway City. Two separate issues that I don't think you tied together. Or maybe you didn't want to? Did you want to give two separate reasons for why fans may not be as involved in the team as they could be? I ask because nobody inside the Organization has given any indication that they're seeking greener pastures, so if fans want to use that as a reason to stop watching, then that's their cross to bear. The record I could understand; but again, you framed it in a way that shows a linear timeline of suckitude that offers no reason for decline or hope for change.

You're gonna have to meet me in the Octagon now. I'm not up to a 400 lb bench like you yet, but I am leg pressing 810 now.

I will scissor kick your head off if you come at me with this rainy day shit again, SON. :juiced:
(j/k. you know you're m'boy. just giving you some food for thought and a little constructive sum-sum)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
810 pounds.......start looking for a doctor who does knee replacements now.......you'll need him.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems misleading to me. The whole foundation of your article is that Rams fans have had it the "worst".

How is it misleading? I gave the exact number of years I was covering and then showed the facts surrounding those nine years. I said specifically the worst in NFL over that exact time frame. Please explain how you find that misleading.

STL-Rams

Starter
Appreciate the clarification, Shane. But I have to ask what your end game is. If you widened your search, you'd see that the Rams weren't the worst team of the past decade, weren't the worst team in the 2000's (10 teams were worse), and weren't the worst team of the 20teens (3 teams were worse). You're also leaving a sizable portion of the reason for the team's sharp decline and struggle out of the picture. Over the past 9 years we've had a change in management that required an epic-scale house-cleaning, and I'd argue one of the worst injury records in the NFL from 2007-2013. I'm guessing you didn't want to give any reasons for the futility, but instead wanted to frame it and display it.

I understand the stadium lease issue more than I want to (because I don't live there), but I fail to see how it ties into the rest of your article. There's futility, and then there's the uncertainty about their future in the Gateway City. Two separate issues that I don't think you tied together. Or maybe you didn't want to? Did you want to give two separate reasons for why fans may not be as involved in the team as they could be? I ask because nobody inside the Organization has given any indication that they're seeking greener pastures, so if fans want to use that as a reason to stop watching, then that's their cross to bear. The record I could understand; but again, you framed it in a way that shows a linear timeline of suckitude that offers no reason for decline or hope for change.

You're gonna have to meet me in the Octagon now. I'm not up to a 400 lb bench like you yet, but I am leg pressing 810 now.

I will scissor kick your head off if you come at me with this rainy day shyte again, SON. :juiced:
(j/k. you know you're m'boy. just giving you some food for thought and a little constructive sum-sum)

First of all, big props on the bench being up to 400 and the leg press at 810. VERY impressive. You better hit me up when you come to St. Louis and we will find a gym and put in some work. I plan to be benching 500 by the end of 2014 (without the aid of steroids, HGH, etc).

As for the aforementioned column, I don't have an "end game" per se. I simply wanted people -- and I heard from many who honesty didn't realize it was THAT bad -- to understand exactly the depths of what occurred. I could have went 10 years and the record was still tied for 3rd worst with just one playoff, but I went with nine to vividly show how horrific it was because the last nine were a tad worse than the last 10.

I was in no way trying to analyze why the bad record, etc. occurred. Just wanted to plainly show exactly what St. Louis has been through, both to simply make that plain for those unaware and also to show how absurd it is for ANYONE to somehow put blame on a fan base that has went through more than any other during this nine year stretch.

And that doesn't even count the stadium issue. And I add the stadium issue in because it adds to the misery for a huge number of St. Louis fans. I know some Minnesota fans who were being driven crazy, hurting, worried and not enjoying the games or wanting to buy in or put as much effort into the Vikings by the time they got to the end of their lease, and they weren't a team that had lost a team before.

It's even worse here, because so many people went through the divorce of another team. Anyone around 26 or over was alive when the Cards moved. Hardly anyone felt they were leaving. People didn't believe it could happen.

Since it has happened here, the lease issue is much more troubling and damaging here than it is or has been in other cities who have not lost a team. No, the team hasn't given an indication that they are interested in leaving, but they are also one year away from being out of their lease and their has been no agreement reached that they stay after the 2014 season, either. This issue is causing incredible fear and anxiety for more than just a few people in the region and state.

To me, this issue adds clearly to the difficultly the fan base specifically in St. Louis has dealt with over the last 9 years. No, that aspect probably isn't a major factor for Rams fans in New Jersey, or Florida, or Texas or Montana, but for those who live in St. Louis this is the local team that represent their city, so it is understandably a bigger deal here than for those without the location concerns.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter: @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Unfortunately, St. Louis NFL fans have suffered through arguably the second-worst NFL legacy of all time.

If that were not enough, a case could be made that the St. Louis Rams just finished providing the Gateway City and Rams Nation with history’s single most disastrous nine years of football ever.

Over the past nine seasons (2005-13), the Rams’ winning percentage of .299 was the worst in the NFL. In fact, the Rams and Oakland Raiders were the only franchises that failed to produce a single winning season within the aforementioned time frame.

To put the Rams’ recent struggles in another light, the baseball Cardinals could have averaged 100 losses per year over the past 10 seasons and still generated a significantly better winning percentage (.375) than that of the Rams.

In fact, if the Cardinals would have dropped 110 games per season over the last 10, their winning percentage of .321 would have still trumped that of the city’s professional football franchise.

In terms of reaching the postseason during the above-mentioned span, the Rams failed to punch a single playoff ticket. The Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders also failed to reach the postseason party during the last nine years, but all won more regular-season games than St. Louis did.

While the above from the Rams’ last near decennium was bad, the final two factors move the needle from horrendous to historically horrific.

(Please check out the remainder of the brief read for the remaining reasons why the multifaceted problems of the last nine seasons equate to the worst in league history):

http://www.101sports.com/2014/01/22...isastrous-nine-years-might-worst-nfl-history/

Hi Shane,

Nice work again my friend.
Yes, we've had some REALLY hard times here in Rams nation......I hope we're about to see some pretty good times just around the corner though.

moklerman

Warner-phile
How is it misleading? I gave the exact number of years I was covering and then showed the facts surrounding those nine years. I said specifically the worst in NFL over that exact time frame. Please explain how you find that misleading.
Because it's just manipulating the information to suit your argument. Why is 9 the number? Okay, it's more poignant than 10 if you want to go with what's more recent but if that's the case, what about the last 4 years? That's just as arbitrary but paints a far different picture. Which, I'm not even sure what the picture's supposed to be. Are you trying to excuse St. Louis fans for bad attendance? It seems like it.

Losing the Cardinals makes the attendance issue a more intricate conversation because IMO, St. Louis has no excuse at this point. I certainly sympathize because no one wants to support or shell out money for a losing team. But, St. Louis has already lost an NFL franchise taking that approach. And to be honest, if they think what the current ownership is doing in any way compares with what Bidwill did then they weren't that interested to begin with. It very much feels like the "average" fan is holding out for the next GSOT and we all know that's not going to happen.

STL-Rams

Starter
Because it's just manipulating the information to suit your argument. Why is 9 the number? Okay, it's more poignant than 10 if you want to go with what's more recent but if that's the case, what about the last 4 years? That's just as arbitrary but paints a far different picture. Which, I'm not even sure what the picture's supposed to be. Are you trying to excuse St. Louis fans for bad attendance? It seems like it.

Losing the Cardinals makes the attendance issue a more intricate conversation because IMO, St. Louis has no excuse at this point. I certainly sympathize because no one wants to support or shell out money for a losing team. But, St. Louis has already lost an NFL franchise taking that approach. And to be honest, if they think what the current ownership is doing in any way compares with what Bidwill did then they weren't that interested to begin with. It very much feels like the "average" fan is holding out for the next GSOT and we all know that's not going to happen.

Nine is the number because they have been the worst over the last nine years in the league. If they had been worst in the league for 99 years do I need to round it to 100 for you? ESPN was talking about the exact same 9 year run of the Rams.

The attendance has been GREAT considering the HISTORICALLY POOR PRODUCT here.

Losing the Cardinals makes it even harder to draw, not easier. It shouldn't be difficult to understand. People went through a bitter divorce and have more doubts of if the team is even going to be here than they do in other cities like Minnesota or San Diego who did not lose a team previously.

And you are lost on why the Cards moved. They left due to the stadium situation not working out, not attendance.

The average fan is showing up week in and week out. Pittsburgh is good all the time and went 8-8 this year and beat St. Louis by about 300 a game in attendance. What would they do if they had went through this streak PLUS a stadium issue making them wonder if it was even going to be there team?

You say the fans want the GSOT. Who wouldn't? But I think right now they would settle for a playoff appearance and not being the worst team in the NFL since 2005.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I don't factor in the outside factors like many other posters. Just football. While the winning percentage was dismal I have to agree with Lesson about Detroit being worse. 1-15 was tough but there were a handful of games where we lost by a possession or less, and at least that team had some fight. But 0-16 is something that is unrivaled in professional sports, the goose egg, the doughnut hole. To not win a SINGLE game is one of the most embarrassing things that can happen in professional sports. And you can say it was the worst 5 year record in NFL history, and you're right, but I still don't think EMOTIONALLY that the Rams had the worst 5 year or 9 year stretch in NFL history. 9 years ain't so bad when you consider that franchises like the Browns, Lions, and Jaguars have been well known for their DECADES of losing. But I think the last 9 years (and the 5 year stretch for that matter) haven't been as bad as DET for example.

2005: (6-10) Bulger goes down; similar scenario to this year w/Sam. Rams 2-3 and beating INDY in INDY on MNF 17-0 when Marc was injured. He missed a month and only played 2 games the remainder of the year.

2006: (8-8) Seattle won the division at 9-7. The Rams lost both games to SEA by 2 points after leading by 1 in the final seconds. The game in Seattle was especially tough as Incognito's 15 personal foul on the TD cost the Rams 15 on the kickoff and a holding cost the Rams the 2 point conversion that would have made it a 3 point game. The Rams win EITHER of the SEA games WE win the division at 9-7 or 10-6 and SEA at BEST is 8-8.

2007: (3-13) Bad year.

2008: (2-14) Bad year. Lineament fired after 0-4. Rams seem inspired by Haslett win 2 in a row and almost beat NE to make it 3. Great final game of the season in ATL.

2009: (1-15) Sure that team had issues. But 6 games lost by a possession or less showed the fans that the Rams didn't just pack it in. The 2009 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION NEW ORLEANS SAINTS beat us 28-23.

2010: (7-9) Overachieving year based on our roster. Week 17 loss away from the PLAYOFFS

2011: (2-14) Decimated injuries (Danny, SJ, Bartell, Sam, etc). A team devoid of talent. Almost half the players on the roster didn't have jobs in the NFL in 2012.

2012: (7-8-1) A few tough losses from the PLAYOFFS. We win at home vs NYJ & MIN and we make it. Meaningful December football

2013: (7-9) Tough first 4. But started to get back on track, but Sam goes down. He may have been the deciding factor in losses to SEA & TEN. Still, MEANINGFUL December football and a faint hope of the PLAYOFFS.

So although the past 9 years have been ROUGH, as I can vouch for firsthand, we had 4 LEGIT shots at the playoffs. And the poor teams still fought. So no, imo not the worst 9 or 5 year stretch, regardless of what the NUMBERS say.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

You make a good point molkerman. I get that we're the worst over the past 9 years statistically, but isn't that kind of old news? I guess what I'm saying is why do writers continue to tie our current history (Fisher regime) to old ones (Linehan & Spags)? Yes those were bad years, but what about our last 2 years? Where do we rank in the league since 2012? And molkerman brings up a good point, why not 10? Because we were the worst over the past 9 years? I do agree that it is framing to make this story. I think most Ram fans have gotten past the "terrible" years and are fixated on what the new regime has accomplished, so what happened in 2007 or 2009 is irrelevant.

moklerman

Warner-phile
STL-Rams said:
Nine is the number because they have been the worst over the last nine years in the league. If they had been worst in the league for 99 years do I need to round it to 100 for you? ESPN was talking about the exact same 9 year run of the Rams.
I think you would deserve just as much criticism for rounding. Why did you choose to go back 9 years? Because you were trying to make a point and that particular time frame supported that point. But no one uses 9 years as any kind of measure or frame of reference. In the past 10 years, the Rams were not the worst. That's why you didn't use it. They weren't the worst the last 5 years or 7 years or 2 years. Pick just about any other time frame and they weren't the worst.
The attendance has been GREAT considering the HISTORICALLY POOR PRODUCT here.
Historically poor? In 19 years this city has been granted a new NFL team, 5 playoff appearances, 6 playoff wins, 2 Super Bowl appearances, a World Championship and 3 league MVP's. Not to mention the 2nd richest owner who spends money and resources on the team. Drafted a franchise QB, hired one of the best coaches, made multiple moves in the draft and free agency. Do you really want to argue that this regime is no different than the others? That this owner and football staff deserve the same apathy that preceded them?
Losing the Cardinals makes it even harder to draw, not easier. It shouldn't be difficult to understand. People went through a bitter divorce and have more doubts of if the team is even going to be here than they do in other cities like Minnesota or San Diego who did not lose a team previously.
It isn't difficult to understand but it is difficult to agree with. You're really trying to argue that the reason St. Louis isn't showing up to Rams games is because they lost the Cardinals?
And you are lost on why the Cards moved. They left due to the stadium situation not working out, not attendance.
Yes, Bidwill wanted a new stadium but he was able to move the team because of poor attendance. They averaged 37,852 fans the last 5 years in St. Louis and just 27,821 per game in 1987.
The average fan is showing up week in and week out. Pittsburgh is good all the time and went 8-8 this year and beat St. Louis by about 300 a game in attendance. What would they do if they had went through this streak PLUS a stadium issue making them wonder if it was even going to be there team?
I don't know, but using 1 below average year to define the Steelers seems pretty disingenuous. And I think the "average" fan is the one who's staying away. The die-hards are the one's still showing up.
You say the fans want the GSOT. Who wouldn't? But I think right now they would settle for a playoff appearance and not being the worst team in the NFL since 2005.
Maybe you're right but the numbers don't show it. The fans haven't showed up regardless of what the Rams are doing on the field in recent years. There haven't been upward trends in numbers when they are playing well and even competing for the post season. If they were 2-14 or 1-15 every, single year with poor management and a team apathy to match the fan apathy I'd agree with you.

But, as I said, I don't really know what you're trying to accomplish with this article. I understand that you're trying to argue that this has been the worst era of football for anyone in history, which is debatable, but to what end? My only guess is that you're trying to excuse St. Louis' fan base for having really poor attendance. Seems like your article is at least 2 years too late.

Last edited by a moderator:

STL-Rams

Starter
Hi Shane,

Nice work again my friend.
Yes, we've had some REALLY hard times here in Rams nation......I hope we're about to see some pretty good times just around the corner though.[/qu

Big thanks my friend... and yes, I think the arrow is definitely pointing up.

STL-Rams

Starter
I don't factor in the outside factors like many other posters. Just football. While the winning percentage was dismal I have to agree with Lesson about Detroit being worse. 1-15 was tough but there were a handful of games where we lost by a possession or less, and at least that team had some fight. But 0-16 is something that is unrivaled in professional sports, the goose egg, the doughnut hole. To not win a SINGLE game is one of the most embarrassing things that can happen in professional sports. And you can say it was the worst 5 year record in NFL history, and you're right, but I still don't think EMOTIONALLY that the Rams had the worst 5 year or 9 year stretch in NFL history. 9 years ain't so bad when you consider that franchises like the Browns, Lions, and Jaguars have been well known for their DECADES of losing. But I think the last 9 years (and the 5 year stretch for that matter) haven't been as bad as DET for example.

2005: (6-10) Bulger goes down; similar scenario to this year w/Sam. Rams 2-3 and beating INDY in INDY on MNF 17-0 when Marc was injured. He missed a month and only played 2 games the remainder of the year.

2006: (8-8) Seattle won the division at 9-7. The Rams lost both games to SEA by 2 points after leading by 1 in the final seconds. The game in Seattle was especially tough as Incognito's 15 personal foul on the TD cost the Rams 15 on the kickoff and a holding cost the Rams the 2 point conversion that would have made it a 3 point game. The Rams win EITHER of the SEA games WE win the division at 9-7 or 10-6 and SEA at BEST is 8-8.

2007: (3-13) Bad year.

2008: (2-14) Bad year. Lineament fired after 0-4. Rams seem inspired by Haslett win 2 in a row and almost beat NE to make it 3. Great final game of the season in ATL.

2009: (1-15) Sure that team had issues. But 6 games lost by a possession or less showed the fans that the Rams didn't just pack it in. The 2009 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION NEW ORLEANS SAINTS beat us 28-23.

2010: (7-9) Overachieving year based on our roster. Week 17 loss away from the PLAYOFFS

2011: (2-14) Decimated injuries (Danny, SJ, Bartell, Sam, etc). A team devoid of talent. Almost half the players on the roster didn't have jobs in the NFL in 2012.

2012: (7-8-1) A few tough losses from the PLAYOFFS. We win at home vs NYJ & MIN and we make it. Meaningful December football

2013: (7-9) Tough first 4. But started to get back on track, but Sam goes down. He may have been the deciding factor in losses to SEA & TEN. Still, MEANINGFUL December football and a faint hope of the PLAYOFFS.

So although the past 9 years have been ROUGH, as I can vouch for firsthand, we had 4 LEGIT shots at the playoffs. And the poor teams still fought. So no, imo not the worst 9 or 5 year stretch, regardless of what the NUMBERS say.

Despite what the numbers say... yeah, if you take out the numbers ok :) ... The numbers speak for themselves. It was brutal. We can make excuses, etc but the fact is they were the least successful football team in wins and losses over the past nine years. Fans of other teams could play the what if game, too, and say if this or that happened this would have or could have been better. Fact is the Rams were indeed the worst with the worst 5 years ever going by wins and losses, which is pretty much the standard that 99% of people would use.

STL-Rams

Starter
I think you would deserve just as much criticism for rounding. Why did you choose to go back 9 years? Because you were trying to make a point and that particular time frame supported that point. But no one uses 9 years as any kind of measure or frame of reference. In the past 10 years, the Rams were not the worst. That's why you didn't use it. They weren't the worst the last 5 years or 7 years or 2 years. Pick just about any other time frame and they weren't the worst.

Historically poor? In 19 years this city has been granted a new NFL team, 5 playoff appearances, 6 playoff wins, 2 Super Bowl appearances, a World Championship and 3 league MVP's. Not to mention the 2nd richest owner who spends money and resources on the team. Drafted a franchise QB, hired one of the best coaches, made multiple moves in the draft and free agency. Do you really want to argue that this regime is no different than the others? That this owner and football staff deserve the same apathy that preceded them?

It isn't difficult to understand but it is difficult to agree with. You're really trying to argue that the reason St. Louis isn't showing up to Rams games is because they lost the Cardinals?

Yes, Bidwill wanted a new stadium but he was able to move the team because of poor attendance. They averaged 37,852 fans the last 5 years in St. Louis and just 27,821 per game in 1987.

I don't know, but using 1 below average year to define the Steelers seems pretty disingenuous. And I think the "average" fan is the one who's staying away. The die-hards are the one's still showing up.

Maybe you're right but the numbers don't show it. The fans haven't showed up regardless of what the Rams are doing on the field in recent years. There haven't been upward trends in numbers when they are playing well and even competing for the post season. If they were 2-14 or 1-15 every, single year with poor management and a team apathy to match the fan apathy I'd agree with you.

But, as I said, I don't really know what you're trying to accomplish with this article. I understand that you're trying to argue that this has been the worst era of football for anyone in history, which is debatable, but to what end? My only guess is that you're trying to excuse St. Louis' fan base for having really poor attendance. Seems like your article is at least 2 years too late.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about regarding Bidwell and the football Cardinals. They moved due to not working out the stadium issue. Your blowing hot air with your comments on why they moved.

I went back nine years because they've been the worst in the league the last nine and five of those were the worst ever. I'm sorry you don't like that I used nine years but there is nothing wrong with summing up what occurred over that period. I will make no apologies for it nor is there any reason to.

No, I am not saying they are not showing up to Rams games because of the Cardinals. The divorce that anyone over 25 went through is but one factor. And it's very significant for many people. You aren't here so perhaps you don't (want to) understand.

Yeah, the typical lame and inconsistent look at other teams. You want to look past the Steelers drawing poorly this year but not give any slack to Rams fans who have been hammered with a historicially poor product. And yes, the last 9 years have been historically poor. There is nothing to debate there.

Yet the Steelers are always good and go 8-8 this year, better than the Rams have went since 2004, and you don't want to give them any criticism for essentially drawing what St. Louis did after all these years of terrible football. Yeah, that makes sense. The Steelers had one or two bad years about 2000 as well and as soon as they dropped off at all they had several games that drew in the 30s or 40s.

You said the fans dont' show up regardless of what they are doing. First off, attendance was up. Secondly, you act as if they have done something good? They just posted yet another losing season in a city that has tons of people doubting if that team will even be here after next year. You are the one who seems a little less than objective. Thirdly, the fans have been terrific considering the quality of the product and the stadium issue on top of that.

Finally, I posted the facts of what has occurred. People can draw their own conclusions. There is nothing 2 years too late about anything. THe last two years were part of the past nine and that past nine was the worst in the league. Not sure why that is hard to comprehend.

I would agree that the arrow is pointing up. i am very optimistic that the St. Louis Rams are on the way to some terrific things and a very successful era in 2014 and beyond.

Finally, your comment of the last nine years being "not so bad" is just absurd, in all due respect. Fans in 95% of NFL cities would die from laughing themselves to death if they heard that.

As for Detroit, Cleveland, etc and their histories, all of those teams have stronger football histories with more playoff appearances than St. Louis does, so you are also wrong there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[av]http://ramsondemand.com/mp3/rumble.mp3[/av]

moklerman

Warner-phile
STL-Rams said:
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about regarding [hl]Bidwell [/hl]and the football Cardinals. They moved due to not working out the stadium issue. Your blowing hot air with your comments on why they moved.
Who? Oh, you mean Bill Bidwill. I guess you're the expert when you don't even know how to spell his name. And if you think the NFL would allow any franchise to move that had good attendance then I think you're just arguing for arguing's sake. I don't think the city liked Bidwill much and I think that showed in various ways. One of which was not getting a deal done for a new stadium. But bad attendance is the out that all owners use as a reason for justifying to the league that a move is warranted.

I went back nine years because they've been the worst in the league the last nine and five of those were the worst ever. I'm sorry you don't like that I used nine years but there is nothing wrong with summing up what occurred over that period. I will make no apologies for it nor is there any reason to.
I'm glad you and ESPN think the same way. Unfortunately, I think ESPN is drek and don't even watch it.

No, I am not saying they are not showing up to Rams games because of the Cardinals. The divorce that anyone over 25 went through is but one factor. And it's very significant for many people. You aren't here so perhaps you don't (want to) understand.
Perhaps you don't realize you're communicating with someone who didn't "divorce" his team when they moved away. I think I have a fair understanding of what it's like to lose a team. But I haven't come across anyone who is still a Cardinals fan and just doesn't want to warm up to the Rams. Especially not on the principle that emotionally they just can't commit because the Rams might leave them too.

Yeah, the typical lame and inconsistent look at other teams. You want to look past the Steelers drawing poorly this year but not give any slack to Rams fans who have been hammered with a historicially poor product. And yes, the last 9 years have been historically poor. There is nothing to debate there.
I don't think comparing the Rams to other teams is lame or inconsistent. In fact, it's pretty much required. But I think your choice for comparison is absurd. You've taken 1 year from the Steelers and offered it as explanation for the Rams. Why not use the Jaguars? They always suck and generally outdraw the Rams. Let's also not forget the elements. Steelers fans outdrew...remember, you're hard-lining in this conversation, the Rams and they had to sit in the wind and weather.

Yet the Steelers are always good and go 8-8 this year, better than the Rams have went since 2004, and you don't want to give them any criticism for essentially drawing what St. Louis did after all these years of terrible football. Yeah, that makes sense. The Steelers had one or two bad years about 2000 as well and as soon as they dropped off at all they had several games that drew in the 30s or 40s.
Considering Pittsburgh's history and how well they represent at home and on the road, yes, I'm more inclined to cut them some slack for a down year. I also don't think it absolves them of any criticism. Dallas led the league in attendance and they continually disappoint their fans. Washington, NYG, NYJ, Green Bay...CLEVELAND, they all out-distanced the Rams in attendance and %capacity. No, you choosing to single out the Steelers fans seems like the thing that doesn't make sense. You have to really ignore everything else they've done to focus on this year alone. And this is all assuming that their attendance was down just because they were having an off year.

You said the fans dont' show up regardless of what they are doing. First off, attendance was up.
Up from what? They've been at 56,000+ each of the last 3 years and Fisher's only been here 2.

Secondly, you act as if they have done something good?
They've done plenty of good things.

They just posted yet another losing season in a city that has tons of people doubting if that team will even be here after next year. You are the one who seems a little less than objective.
I don't think so. I think I'm the one who's been downright objective to the reality of the situation. A) The Rams have done plenty to warrant attendance improving over what Spagnuolo's Rams were doing. B) St. Louis simply doesn't have the excuse of not knowing what poor attendance can lead to. Yet, they continue to not show up. Of course, that's a relative term. There are still thousands showing up but if the Rams are at the bottom of the league in attendance, that's an automatic free pass for Kroenke to leave.

Thirdly, the fans have been terrific considering the quality of the product and the stadium issue on top of that.
I think you continue to overstate. Cleveland fans have been "terrific". What have they won in the past, oh...50+ years? Even Jaguars fans have showed up more than Rams fans. How can you define them as "terrific"? How would you define Jaguars fans? And how is "quality of the product on the field" defined? Do the Rams or any NFL team guarantee a certain "quality" to the games they host? Or do they just guarantee one is going to get to see a game?

Finally, I posted the facts of what has occurred. People can draw their own conclusions. There is nothing 2 years too late about anything. THe last two years were part of the past nine and that past nine was the worst in the league. Not sure why that is hard to comprehend.
No one is having trouble comprehending it. They're just questioning why you chose it and when you chose to write about it.

I would agree that the arrow is pointing up. i am very optimistic that the St. Louis Rams are on the way to some terrific things and a very successful era in 2014 and beyond.
I know I'd rather read articles related to these thoughts.

Finally, your comment of the last nine years being "not so bad" is just absurd, in all due respect. Fans in 95% of NFL cities would die from laughing themselves to death if they heard that.
Perhaps my perception of things is just a little more involved than the cumulative W/L column. It seems as if it's being offered that being a Rams fan in St. Louis is somehow different than being a Rams fan somewhere else. Didn't the St. Louis fans also get a new owner? That's a major high point in my 30+ year history as a Rams fan. Whether one liked or disliked Georgia, Stan is an obvious improvement at least in terms of potential. The Rams also drafted a potential franchise QB. Heck, it was the first time since 1964 that they've even drafted one in the first round. Went out and "won" the Jeff Fisher sweepstakes. Jake Long too. Heck, even Spagnuolo if you want to get right down to it. Didn't turn out too well but he was the big name that year. They moved up to get Tavon, they pulled off the RGIII fleecing of Washington...I'm sure someone could make a really long list of the things that were at least good enough to get people to show up to an easy to get to stadium with rock bottom ticket prices.

As for Detroit, Cleveland, etc and their histories, all of those teams have stronger football histories with more playoff appearances than St. Louis does, so you are also wrong there.
Jacksonville. 4 different head coaches in the last 3 years, their star draft pick getting suspended indefinitely, NO offense, MJD always hurt, new owner because the old owner just wanted to sell(as opposed to dying and not having a choice), threats of the team moving and they still out drew the Rams. Not that I really agree with your rationale. Cleveland and Detroit may have rich histories but they haven't done much since they all started wearing facemasks. And Detroit's been one of the biggest disappointments this year and Cleveland's an utter joke in recent years.