Why Rams Last 9 Years May Be Worst In Nfl History - 101espn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter: @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Unfortunately, St. Louis NFL fans have suffered through arguably the second-worst NFL legacy of all time.

If that were not enough, a case could be made that the St. Louis Rams just finished providing the Gateway City and Rams Nation with history’s single most disastrous nine years of football ever.

Over the past nine seasons (2005-13), the Rams’ winning percentage of .299 was the worst in the NFL. In fact, the Rams and Oakland Raiders were the only franchises that failed to produce a single winning season within the aforementioned time frame.

To put the Rams’ recent struggles in another light, the baseball Cardinals could have averaged 100 losses per year over the past 10 seasons and still generated a significantly better winning percentage (.375) than that of the Rams.

In fact, if the Cardinals would have dropped 110 games per season over the last 10, their winning percentage of .321 would have still trumped that of the city’s professional football franchise.

In terms of reaching the postseason during the above-mentioned span, the Rams failed to punch a single playoff ticket. The Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders also failed to reach the postseason party during the last nine years, but all won more regular-season games than St. Louis did.

While the above from the Rams’ last near decennium was bad, the final two factors move the needle from horrendous to historically horrific.

(Please check out the remainder of the brief read for the remaining reasons why the multifaceted problems of the last nine seasons equate to the worst in league history):

http://www.101sports.com/2014/01/22...isastrous-nine-years-might-worst-nfl-history/

Alan

Legend
Thanks Shane, we all appreciate you not posting this until after the holidays. :wink:

Yeah, it's like it happened yesterday and the taste is still in my mouth. Good thing the football Cardinals inoculated me against the agony of continual defeats.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Browns suck two lol at least the rams made it to a few superbowls

Yes, but the Rams last nine years have been worst than Cleveland's and likely worse than any nine year stretch anywhere ever with all things considered that were described in article. Ughhh. But yes, very good to have been to those two Super Bowls.

STL-Rams

Starter
Thanks Shane, we all appreciate you not posting this until after the holidays. :wink:

Yeah, it's like it happened yesterday and the taste is still in my mouth. Good thing the football Cardinals inoculated me against the agony of continual defeats.

LOL, you are welcome. One reason I did this piece and part 1 last week was to show people locally and nationally what exactly the St. Louis fan has dealt with. Absolutely unfair the rap that is given under the extreme circumstances.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
I would say Jacksonville has been the worse franchise in that time period lol

STL-Rams

Starter
I would say Jacksonville has been the worse franchise in that time period lol

The stats dont' bear that out. Their winning percentage has been .431 over last nine years and they have been to two playoffs. Rams win percentage has been .299 with zero playoffs. Also, Jacksonville is not facing a year to year lease in a city that lost a team (nor facing a year to year lease), nor did they endure the worst 5 years ever. All in all, Jacksonville has sadly been MUCH BETTER than the Rams over the last nine seasons.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
I know the stats don't lie but it's hard to say that they have been much better than us. Sorry but I just can't agree with you on that. Put us in their division for the last three years and I say we make the play offs atleast twice.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Shane, of all the dead horses to pick from, buddy lol. How about some good ole' draft speculations! I know that's not your style but I promise it would be better than ANYTHING Bernie writes. Throw in a lot of biasness towards Watkins and you have a "thumbs up" from me. Sounds like fun. :D

STL-Rams

Starter
I know the stats don't lie but it's hard to say that they have been much better than us. Sorry but I just can't agree with you on that. Put us in their division for the last three years and I say we make the play offs atleast twice.

Not a big deal, but there is nothing that supports that. They have won more games, they have to two playoffs to our zero, they did not have the worst five years in NFL history nor are they approaching a year to year lease (even worse in a city that lost a team). By none of the criteria have the Jags been worse.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane, of all the dead horses to pick from, buddy lol. How about some good ole' draft speculations! I know that's not your style but I promise it would be better than ANYTHING Bernie writes. Throw in a lot of biasness towards Watkins and you have a "thumbs up" from me. Sounds like fun. :D

Thank you for the kind words. I have done a lot of draft stuff in the past. I do plan to this year as well, but things will change a TON after the combine and I want to wait to see what happens there before I dive in. As for this piece, I wanted to show how the St. Louis fan is unfairly criticized when dealing with such a ridiculous nine year stretch. The piece was meant as a positive in that way. :)

PhxRam

Thank you for the kind words. I have done a lot of draft stuff in the past. I do plan to this year as well, but things will change a TON after the combine and I want to wait to see what happens there before I dive in. As for this piece, I wanted to show how the St. Louis fan is unfairly criticized when dealing with such a ridiculous nine year stretch. The piece was meant as a positive in that way. :)

Thanks as always for your work Shane.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I wouldn't say it's the worst 9 year stretch in NFL history. The Lions from '01-'09 had a lower winning percentage than the Rams(.229), less wins (33 for the Lions, 43 for the Rams), 1 winless season and 0 seasons at .500.

Yes, the Rams just endured the worst 5 year stretch in NFL history, but I'd have to imagine that 9 year stretch from the Lions has to be the worst of all time.

STL-Rams

Starter
I wouldn't say it's the worst 9 year stretch in NFL history. The Lions from '01-'09 had a lower winning percentage than the Rams(.229), less wins (33 for the Lions, 43 for the Rams), 1 winless season and 0 seasons at .500.

Yes, the Rams just endured the worst 5 year stretch in NFL history, but I'd have to imagine that 9 year stretch from the Lions has to be the worst of all time.

I would have to disagree, respectfully, because they did not have the worst five years ever and -- in the grand scheme of things and big picture -- were not dealing with the perceived uncertainty of whether they would even have a team at all -- whether good or bad. So although they were even worse in one regard (winning %), they tied in terms of playoffs and and did not deal with worst five years nor franchise uncertainty, something that trumps all for some fans.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I would have to disagree, respectfully, because they did not have the worst five years ever and -- in the grand scheme of things and big picture -- were not dealing with the perceived uncertainty of whether they would even have a team at all -- whether good or bad. So although they were even worse in one regard (winning %), they tied in two others and did not deal with worst five years nor franchise uncertainty, something that trumps all for some fans.

I understand the point you're coming from, but I have to respectfully disagree. The Lions had the worst season in NFL history and no seasons above .500. I'm just referring to strictly football and not the surrounding circumstances. I think the last 9 seasons have resulted in a negative impact on attendance and uncertainty(Some of which wasn't caused by the Rams. A lot of stadiums were built or renovated during that time), but I just think that Lions' struggles during a 9 year stretch is worse than the Rams'.

STL-Rams

Starter
I understand the point you're coming from, but I have to respectfully disagree. The Lions had the worst season in NFL history and no seasons above .500. I'm just referring to strictly football and not the surrounding circumstances. I think the last 9 seasons have resulted in a negative impact on attendance and uncertainty(Some of which wasn't caused by the Rams. A lot of stadiums were built or renovated during that time), but I just think that Lions' struggles during a 9 year stretch is worse than the Rams'.

Rams did not have a season over nine years, either. Yes, their winning % was worse but they did not have the worst 5 years in the world's history and NOR were they dealing with not having any team at all, potentially, in a city that lost a team before. So we will have to agree to disagree. :)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I disagree. This season hasn't been that bad. I've had Ramsondemand.com to come to and vent. People here both understand where my argument against Bradford comes from while simultaneously explaining to me why I should not give up hope on him. Believe me, I want to place my hope on him. And I did until that SF game and the fact that he got hurt while running out of bounds. I just can't get over those things given the expectations on this team in general and on his progression in particular.

I didn't want another Ram's game after Bradford went down - for more than a few minutes at a time.

STL-Rams

Starter
I disagree. This season hasn't been that bad. I've had Ramsondemand.com to come to and vent. People here both understand where my argument against Bradford comes from while simultaneously explaining to me why I should not give up hope on him. Believe me, I want to place my hope on him. And I did until that SF game and the fact that he got hurt while running out of bounds. I just can't get over those things given the expectations on this team in general and on his progression in particular.

I didn't want another Ram's game after Bradford went down - for more than a few minutes at a time.

Thanks for the comment, but the article was not about this season.