Why is Stedman Bailey Getting No Playing Time?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sitting here and watching film to see if the claim that Bailey doesn't get separation holds any water. Thus far, it doesn't. I've now seen two different plays where Bailey had separation past the first down marker and Foles took a sack. And I just started the Washington game (previously looked at Seattle). When Bailey is on the field, he's getting enough separation to throw to him. No, he's not wide open. But this is the NFL. What separates great QBs from averages ones is the ability to trust their WR to make the catch and put the ball in a tight window. Rodgers and James Jones work well together because Rodgers has no issues trusting Jones against tight coverage. Now, Foles isn't Rodgers but he needs to trust Bailey. When the guy has a step on the defender, give him a chance. Bailey isn't DeSean Jackson. He's not going to burn guys by 20 yards. But he's a guy that will use every inch he has to box out defenders and then outmuscle them for the ball in traffic.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here are two perfect examples of what I mean:
Stedman_1_zpstk4vgcqw.png

Stedman is wide open on 3rd down and he's 5 yards past the sticks. Foles locks onto Tre Mason at the beginning of the play and refuses to move off of that read despite there being absolutely nothing there. On the other side of the field, both Washington DBs cover Tavon Austin and NOBODY covers Stedman Bailey. He is running wide open the entire play and Foles doesn't give him a second look (or a first look for that matter). Instead, he forces an incompletion in Mason's vicinity and we get to punt.

Stedman_2_zps7zxh5l1l.png

I think many of us saw this play in the Seattle game. This is in OT and it's the third down before we kick the FG that ultimately wins it. This play should have ended the game without forcing us to go on defense. The pass protection is superb but Foles inexplicably decides to run himself into pressure by scrambling out of the pocket. This forces him to throw it away to avoid the sack. If Foles had been patient in the pocket, he has a wide open throwing lane to Bailey once Bailey clears the LB who isn't even looking at him. Earl Thomas is too deep to stop Bailey from catching the ball and with all the green grass in front of him, Bailey likely takes it in for six.

Now, I realize these are only two plays but I watched every snap Bailey played against Seattle and Washington. There were plays to be made. Bailey could have easily had 4-5 catches against Washington if Foles were on his game. And he could have easily had a bigger line than his 3 catches for 58 yards against Seattle.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
On a team without a lot of strength at the WR position he is not playing. There is a reason and it has been discussed. If he were an upgrade he would be on the field.
I am not a Bailey basher and would like to see him make some plays but right now our staff believes that SB is a situational contributor not a guy to get a lot of snaps.
This may be True, but, Bailey has only been targeted a Total of 7 times in the first 3 games. You would think they would try to use him more than that. At least I do! He has great hands, he runs good routes, and he's fast. I think he rates about 5 targets a game anyway!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Bailey is that guy. He is on the field a whole more than people seem to think he is. But he hasn't been targeted much. I'll leave you to come up with your own theories as to why.
It could be, just simply, that our opponents have been covering him well, because they know what a threat he represents, so he doesn't get targeted!

jap

Legend
It could be, just simply, that our opponents have been covering him well, because they know what a threat he represents, so he doesn't get targeted!

. . . or perhaps there isn't sufficient rapport between Nick and Sted as yet. That needs to change because Sted is a little guy who catches like a big man. Apparently, Nick has yet to appreciate that.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I was hoping someone who has the All 22 would chime in. Thanks @jrry32 for giving us that perspective. All this talk about separation from people who are only watching the games on TV. We don't see most of what is going on from those angles. What worries me about your observations is not Steddys talent, but Foles lack of vision thus far. Hopefully that gets worked out here as the season progresses.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the homework jrry32, Great job.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
As I wrote before, Fisher has some sort of idiot savant thing going on with defensive linemen. He's been able to draft DL that just simply get it done.

Unfortunately, when it comes to WR's Fisher has the opposite effect. He should adopt the Costanza method when it comes to WR's. It doesn't surprise me that Stedman is riding pine because he runs the best routes and has the best hands on the team.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Well we certainly don't have the luxury of A Rodgers at QB and I am not sure anyone here thinks we do. The bottom example in the all 22 shows defenders in the area that could beat the ball into position to stop that pass attempt, were it to have happened. I am not saying to give up on it but there are 4 defenders 3 of them may make a play. the top example the QB looks to be on the ground or close to it leaving me unable to comment on what anyone saw while the play was still alive. I am sure there are instances where Bailey was an available receiver and did not get targeted. Lets see what develops over the season.
The problem with stills is they don't tell the story on both ends of the selected frame.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What separates great QBs from averages ones is the ability to trust their WR to make the catch and put the ball in a tight
Excellent work jrry32.....I have never believed Foles to be some Aaron Rodgers clone...Tom Brady....So, I'm not expecting that...What I do hope is he gets a command of the offense, where he could look a lil Andy Dalton-ish....I too have doubts he is seeing the field...and HOPE that he looks like Sam B. did in the pre-season of 2014 and the beginning of 2013....He needs to get comfortable....I Hope.
Cook makes a mistake or doesn't have something go his way early and then spends the rest of the game pouting and giving a crappy effort. It's infuriating to see a guy with that much ability half-ass it so often.
Included this here cause I lost my way...but really agree with this...I coach girls softball, and it's one of the hardest thing to teach them...let the play go, and move on...He does seem to do this...But the best part is, with these types of players is, when they get it they are really talented...and often key contributors....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just curious, because I see this said alot. How is it determined that runs great routes? I keep hearing it and when I do see him play, I dont see any seperation or anything special.
Made the great catch which helped beat Seattle, but havent seen anything since. Thought he was targeted a bit in the Washington game, but thats completely off memory
@FRO

Now I see what you're saying....

Athos

Legend
@jrry32 said it.....

Cook is basically stealing his time.

Bench him and run Bailey in the slot for a full game and see what happens.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
@jrry32 said it.....

Cook is basically stealing his time.

Bench him and run Bailey in the slot for a full game and see what happens.
Cook is basically stealing looks from everyone on the team, a lot of our guys are consistently getting open. Britt, Austin, Bailey and etc, but it's obvious that Cook is the primary read on a lot of our passing plays because in a perfect world he should be creating mismatches and running wild all over the football field.

But that's obviously not the case, yet they target him as if he still is. 28 targets already in the early goings. 3 more than Austin, 6 more than Britt, 11 more than Bailey and 14 more than Kendricks. That's inexcusable, guys like Cook can't keep stealing targets from your better players. Until Cook either pulls his head out of his ass or realizes whatever deficiency ails him and betters it there is no excuse for him to continue to be the most targeted player on our team.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bailey is the #1 receiver on this team. It is not Britt and certainly after watching yesterdays game it is not Quick. Sorry if he is not 6'-8" but right now it is what it is.

lockdnram21

Legend
Bailey is the #1 receiver on this team. It is not Britt and certainly after watching yesterdays game it is not Quick. Sorry if he is not 6'-8" but right now it is what it is.
your judgeing Quick off of one game and one drop. Whenmgoing back to last season hes the main receiver getting consistent separation. You gotta give him a couple games back.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Quick just came back from a career ender and had one whole drop and people are calling him done for a slot receiver who looks nice as a 3rd option every now and then.

If this doesn't sum up instant gratification knee jerk reactions of football fans perfectly I don't know what does.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I have no doubt that Bailey can block better than Cook as well so having Cook in the game screws up both running and passing.

lockdnram21

Legend
I have no doubt that Bailey can block better than Cook as well so having Cook in the game screws up both running and passing.
You know what pissis me off is Cook can block when he wants. Yesterday on one of Gurleys runs Cook had a beautiful block. He gets paid so much to not do much. he should be putting up gronk numbers smh