Why is Stedman Bailey Getting No Playing Time?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As of right now he is the #1.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
He made a few nice plays last game, including one difficult catch to move the chains.

Almost every time he is targeted that Foles is not under extreme duress, good things seem to happen. He needs to get more targets.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Not to hijack this thread, but imho Benny Cunningham needs more touches / targets too. I just haven't gotten enough of my thoughts and evidence together to create the "Benny Cunningham appreciation thread" yet. Very much like Bailey, Cunningham is another anti-Cook.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Well he is in yards.
No he's not that's Britt but you missed the point, Bailey at his best maybe can be a #2 receiver so if that's the best we have we are in deep trouble. I still have faith that when Quick will get back to the level he was at before he got hurt.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The Rams need to make use of the 4 receivers they got. Quick, Britt, Bailey and Austin should equally be a quad threat. Rams made it happen with Bruce, Holt, Proehl, and Az Hakim. They all need to be delegated for particular plays ie. Cross, short or deep post routes.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
No he's not that's Britt but you missed the point, Bailey at his best maybe can be a #2 receiver so if that's the best we have we are in deep trouble. I still have faith that when Quick will get back to the level he was at before he got hurt.
My bad, Britt has been completely useless for two games so I forgot about him. But yeah, if him and Austin are allowed to just play their game, with Gurley running the way he has, we should be fine.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My bad, Britt has been completely useless for two games so I forgot about him. But yeah, if him and Austin are allowed to just play their game,

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
My bad, Britt has been completely useless for two games so I forgot about him. But yeah, if him and Austin are allowed to just play their game, with Gurley running the way he has, we should be fine.
Don't get me wrong Legatron I think Bailey is a very good football player but we need a playmaker at the wr position. We also shouldn't forget that we have
1-a new QB in a new system
2-a new RB in a new system
3-the most inexperienced oline in the NFL
4- our best WR, my opinion, coming off a devastating injury.
We need to have faith guys we will get better.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Don't get me wrong Legatron I think Bailey is a very good football player but we need a playmaker at the wr position. We also shouldn't forget that we have
1-a new QB in a new system
2-a new RB in a new system
3-the most inexperienced oline in the NFL
4- our best WR, my opinion, coming off a devastating injury.
We need to have faith guys we will get better.

Good Post and I believe this to be true. We need one more difference maker, WR is the place that will help the most immediately

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
My bad, Britt has been completely useless for two games so I forgot about him.
Probably because he's not 100%, he was nursing a bad shoulder since he landed on it full force trying to catch that bad end game pass from Foles at Washington and then he got a wrist injury the very next game.

So it's not like it's just a lack of effort like Cook.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Probably because he's not 100%, he was nursing a bad shoulder since he landed on it full force trying to catch that bad end game pass from Foles at Washington and then he got a wrist injury the very next game.

So it's not like it's just a lack of effort like Cook.
Yeah you're probably right. But if that's the case he should be resting and letting Steadman take his spot. And yeah, I've pretty much given up on Cook. He reminds me of when you're just paying catch in the street with your friends. Jogging around and just tossing it up to each other not really trying all that hard. Watching Antonio Gates and even Heath Miller last night made me realize how lazy he really is. I doubt he's here next year.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah you're probably right. But if that's the case he should be resting and letting Steadman take his spot. And yeah, I've pretty much given up on Cook. He reminds me of when you're just paying catch in the street with your friends. Jogging around and just tossing it up to each other not really trying all that hard. Watching Antonio Gates and even Heath Miller last night made me realize how lazy he really is. I doubt he's here next year.
I think of it as the Marc Bulger situation, he's playing hurt because he knows he still gives us the best chance to win, and gives Foles the best option to throw to consistently. I love me some Steddy B, but he's looked good in limited action as a slot receiver, that tells us nothing on what he'll look like if the onus is entirely on him and he's shorter and on the slower side, not exactly the person you want to hinge your entire offense on.

And same, I've hopped off his bandwagon. I can't truly tell if it's a lack of effort or if he really just isn't talented enough to put all his talent together, but whatever the case it's hurting us because we need him to be better. Our TE play is mediocre enough as it is without him dragging it down with him. All I know is we're paying him Gronk money to drop easy passes, and then bluster and cry when he doesn't get it thrown his way and that's what gets me. Most realize when they have bad drops that they have to earn the right to get looks back there way, but Cook considers them a given. I feel like that entitlement is what holds him back, he still feels like he's already earned the right to be treated like a Gronk even though he hasn't truly earned it and thus he'll never strive to achieve it because he already believes he's there, but of course that's just my opinion.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/1...ey-trumaine-johnson-gregg-williams-underrated

Stedman Bailey

Let me start by saying that I haven't always been a fan of Stedman. But he's always made the most of the opportunities and has earned a larger role in the offense. Yes 68 of his 73 yards yesterday came on a single play, but that accounted for over 50% of the Rams passing offense. That simultaneously tells you that the Rams passing offense was horrid and that Stedman was able to provide a spark.

He consistently gets 1st downs (67% of his completions have moved the chains this season), has some of the most reliable hands on the roster, and is a very capable possession receiver. But for one reason or another Jeff Fisher always bumps Bailey down the depth chart.

Memo to Fisher: It's time to put aside your connections from your days in Tennessee and free Stedman Bailey. Let the man play.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think Bailey, in the slot, could become Danny Amendola 2.0 without the injuries, I wouldn't mind having another go-to guy that punches above his weight on the field at all times - safer hands than Cookie

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/1...ey-trumaine-johnson-gregg-williams-underrated

Stedman Bailey

Let me start by saying that I haven't always been a fan of Stedman. But he's always made the most of the opportunities and has earned a larger role in the offense. Yes 68 of his 73 yards yesterday came on a single play, but that accounted for over 50% of the Rams passing offense. That simultaneously tells you that the Rams passing offense was horrid and that Stedman was able to provide a spark.

He consistently gets 1st downs (67% of his completions have moved the chains this season), has some of the most reliable hands on the roster, and is a very capable possession receiver. But for one reason or another Jeff Fisher always bumps Bailey down the depth chart.

Memo to Fisher: It's time to put aside your connections from your days in Tennessee and free Stedman Bailey. Let the man play.

hallelujia! glad someone else said it ;)

My old coach used to say if you're good enough you should be on the playing field, not on the sidelines, it doesn't matter if the 'other' guy should be better...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Bailey, in the slot, could become Danny Amendola 2.0 without the injuries, I wouldn't mind having another go-to guy that punches above his weight on the field at all times - safer hands than Cookie

Agreed, no doubt about it. I'd even say he's got higher ceiling than Danny did... Better speed and catching radius. He really does have a large radius for a little guy, just needs a consistent shot.