Why Evans doesn't fit.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Bradford missing 9+ games in Quick's second year didn't help. I sure hope Sam is able to get back early and do some work over the summer with these guys again.

What is the timetable on Bradfords return btw?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
It is a shame about Clayton. I was hoping he would be able to come back and succeed. Seemed liked a real good dude.
Is it me or does it seem like watkins fits the mold of Mr. Clayton? Sam really did mesh well with him! Damned knee!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What is the timetable on Bradfords return btw?
I seem to remember seeing something about him being back in time for the full pre-season but not sure about training camp and pretty sure he won't participate in OTA's

Memphis Ram

Legend
Ok, I have my own reservations about Mike Evans as a pro...but that isn't the basis of this post.

Something that I think should be a major factor in selecting receivers for this team is the style of play Bradford has. Routinely people suggest Sam needs a big bodied go-up-and-get-it type of receiver. I find that to be completely faulty logic, and here is why.

What is Sam Bradford good at? Not turning the ball over. He doesn't force passes to receivers that aren't open. Some criticize him for this stating he'd rather go to the check down than throw a jump ball. This may also be a reason for the slow start to Brian Quick.

So why would we add another receiver that largely depends on out jumping/physicality for passes? To me, it makes WAY more sense to find the receivers that get open and have great YAC ability. Watkins is only one of those types. Brandin Cooks is another. It appears on our team already we've got a couple of those guys but I don't know that we don't need another one at some point.

Thoughts?

I've seen Bradford force passes to Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola. As already stated, it's all about trust. Bradford has to trust that whomever he is throwing to is going to be where he is supposed be and be able to make a play whether covered or not.

And what better option is there than a 6'5" 231 pounds WR with 35 1/8" arms, a 37' vertical jump, and great hands? Someone who also happens to be a pretty good blocker which is a perfect fit for a team looking to run the football more than some of the pass happy teams in the league.

And for those that say the team already has their big WR(s), it's not against the law to have more than one.

The Bears have Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, and TE Martellus Bennett.
Arizona has Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, and TEs Rob Housler.
Cincinnati has A.J Green, Mohommad Sanu, TEs Jermaine Gresham & Tyler Eifert.
New Orleans has Robert Meachem, Marques Colston, and TE Jimmy Graham.
Tampa Bay has Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, and TE Timothy Wright.
Prior to free agency, Denver had Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, and TE Julius Thomas.
And Dallas had Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and TE Jason Witten.

I'd say it's time for the Rams to join the party.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have concerns about Evans ability to separate. Pass.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have concerns about Evans ability to separate. Pass.
Do you mean running away from DBs? I could see that, although he did have a better 40 than expected and had some long TDs in college. If he could learn to use his body like Boldin he would not need the speed to separate

jjab360

Legend
I have to agree, we have big receivers, Cook and Quick, do we need another big guy? IMO I'd rather see Watkins + a safety in R1
Isn't that the same as saying we already have speed receivers, Tavon and Givens, do we need another speed guy like Watkins?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think that is why they are looking at Britt. In the same mold as Alshon Jeffrey. I don't think they want to go WR hig up. I really don't. I think they see other needs and guys there to take. I LOVE Watkins. Evans, although physically gifted and has talent .. I doubt they are going to draft either. They are looking for ways to "fill" that gap in cheaper ways so they can fix the OL and finish the Def. ..... IMHO.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've seen Bradford force passes to Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola. As already stated, it's all about trust. Bradford has to trust that whomever he is throwing to is going to be where he is supposed be and be able to make a play whether covered or not.

And what better option is there than a 6'5" 231 pounds WR with 35 1/8" arms, a 37' vertical jump, and great hands? Someone who also happens to be a pretty good blocker which is a perfect fit for a team looking to run the football more than some of the pass happy teams in the league.

And for those that say the team already has their big WR(s), it's not against the law to have more than one.

The Bears have Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, and TE Martellus Bennett.
Arizona has Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, and TEs Rob Housler.
Cincinnati has A.J Green, Mohommad Sanu, TEs Jermaine Gresham & Tyler Eifert.
New Orleans has Robert Meachem, Marques Colston, and TE Jimmy Graham.
Tampa Bay has Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, and TE Timothy Wright.
Prior to free agency, Denver had Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, and TE Julius Thomas.
And Dallas had Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and TE Jason Witten.

I'd say it's time for the Rams to join the party.
Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call Bradfords comfort level with Amendola or Gibson to be real good examples of forcing passes. Most passes to Amendola were underneath going across the middle...might have been in tight spaces but rarely did you see Bradford taking risk where there was big risk. Most passes to Gibson were in the short to intermediate area and the closest to forced passes was between Gibson and the sideline.

I'm not saying Sam Bradford HAS NEVER forced a pass. It just isn't something he does often...it isn't part of his normal game. His strength is throwing it to an open receiver and keeping it out of the defenses hands. He doesn't throw jump balls.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call Bradfords comfort level with Amendola or Gibson to be real good examples of forcing passes. Most passes to Amendola were underneath going across the middle...might have been in tight spaces but rarely did you see Bradford taking risk where there was big risk. Most passes to Gibson were in the short to intermediate area and the closest to forced passes was between Gibson and the sideline.

I'm not saying Sam Bradford HAS NEVER forced a pass. It just isn't something he does often...it isn't part of his normal game. His strength is throwing it to an open receiver and keeping it out of the defenses hands. He doesn't throw jump balls.

And I say that he doesn't do it often because he doesn't trust that his targets can or will make a play if he does. In other words, what tall, sure handed target has he had to throw these jump balls?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And I say that he doesn't do it often because he doesn't trust that his targets can or will make a play if he does. In other words, what tall, sure handed target has he had to throw these jump balls?
In that regard, I say it is a fair point. However, I still stand by that he throws to the players that are open...he throws it long to Givens, when he has his man beat...he threw it underneath in front of Amendola, when he had his man beat...even with the big target in Cook he generally would throw his way when he was open. Rarely do you see him "throwing his man open".

You've got a valid point...but I disagree.

Memphis Ram

Legend
In that regard, I say it is a fair point. However, I still stand by that he throws to the players that are open...he throws it long to Givens, when he has his man beat...he threw it underneath in front of Amendola, when he had his man beat...even with the big target in Cook he generally would throw his way when he was open. Rarely do you see him "throwing his man open".

You've got a valid point...but I disagree.

Of course, Cook hasn't proven to be very sure-handed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford had no issues throwing it into tight windows with Amendola and throwing it up to Brandon Lloyd. I wouldn't throw jump balls to Chris Givens, Brandon Gibson or Brian Quick either. Hell, he threw a jump ball to Quick against San Francisco that Quick misplayed and it ended up getting intercepted.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
6'3" 223 lbs.
Question for you Memphis(half my family comes from there btw)...If the Rams grab either Robinson or Matthews with their first pick...then our #13 pick comes around and one of those two OT's is still there do you see Snead doubling up on both guys if,for instance Watkins and Evans are gone?
Highly unlikely but it's just a scenario.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He doesn't have anyone to throw jump balls to.

And he threw one here to Cook in the preseason:

IMO, if we had a WR that could be relied upon to catch those sort of balls, Bradford would throw them.

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
Cooks would be a replacement for Givens. Hard to say after 2 years but Givens looks like a 1 trick pony and that trick has been played. Cooks would probably be an upgrade but we need a true #1 though - that would be Watkins or Lee.

While I love/love Watkins, remember Lee was the stud 2 years ago and Watkins had a mediocre year. Receivers are limited by their team and QB success. USC had bad year/bad QB. I think Lee could be the next Keenan Allen (SD) - #1 receiver for SD in his first year. Watkins requires a top 5 pick. Lee could be had at 20.