Why Evans doesn't fit.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Ok, I have my own reservations about Mike Evans as a pro...but that isn't the basis of this post.

Something that I think should be a major factor in selecting receivers for this team is the style of play Bradford has. Routinely people suggest Sam needs a big bodied go-up-and-get-it type of receiver. I find that to be completely faulty logic, and here is why.

What is Sam Bradford good at? Not turning the ball over. He doesn't force passes to receivers that aren't open. Some criticize him for this stating he'd rather go to the check down than throw a jump ball. This may also be a reason for the slow start to Brian Quick.

So why would we add another receiver that largely depends on out jumping/physicality for passes? To me, it makes WAY more sense to find the receivers that get open and have great YAC ability. Watkins is only one of those types. Brandin Cooks is another. It appears on our team already we've got a couple of those guys but I don't know that we don't need another one at some point.

Thoughts?

1st question, does Sam not like throwing the jump ball or does he know we have no one who can go up and win a 50-50 ball?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
We already have our Evans with Cookie... We don't need 2 of those.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
We already have our Evans with Cookie... We don't need 2 of those.

Whether that's true or not, Snead said it is. He said we already have a big WR. That either means we aren't going to add another one, or Snead is blowing smoke.

IMHO, I don't think we are drafting Evans. I think they are taking a defensive player with the second first rounder, though I don't like HaHa or Pryor. I'd take a CB over either of them.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I am personally a fan of drafting Watkins because I do think we needs guys that are YAC type receivers. The thread with Kiper/McShay talking about trading UP to get Evans inside of 10 doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather take a Benjamin type guy later in the draft than reach for Evans.
JMO of course. If we take him, so be it. But I agree, not the best fit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree and look at the receivers tht Sam was most successful with as evidence of what fits his style. Amendola, Clayton, and Lloyd.

PhxRam

I agree and look at the receivers tht Sam was most successful with as evidence of what fits his style. Amendola, Clayton, and Lloyd.

It is a shame about Clayton. I was hoping he would be able to come back and succeed. Seemed liked a real good dude.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I have to agree, we have big receivers, Cook and Quick, do we need another big guy? IMO I'd rather see Watkins + a safety in R1

nighttrain

Legend
I have to agree, we have big receivers, Cook and Quick, do we need another big guy? IMO I'd rather see Watkins + a safety in R1
ha, Watkins says he needs to improve his route running, late and we don't need or have a need for trainee's. Stick with what we have and let them learn.
train

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
If Evans' ceiling is being as good as Cook and/or Quick then definitely don't draft him

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I am personally a fan of drafting Watkins because I do think we needs guys that are YAC type receivers. The thread with Kiper/McShay talking about trading UP to get Evans inside of 10 doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather take a Benjamin type guy later in the draft than reach for Evans.

If it's YAC you're looking for, you might have to look back 2 years ago, (due to nagging injuries last season), but (IMO) there's none better than Marqise Lee. He's a play maker, pure and simple...after the catch, he's Tavon Austin II,or at least as close as another human can get, LOL.

Anyway, this kids got it, joy for the game, desire and God's special gift.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Evans would fit perfectly in Buffalo. They need a speedy TE and/or a WR opposite Steve Johnson.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If it's YAC you're looking for, you might have to look back 2 years ago, (due to nagging injuries last season), but (IMO) there's none better than Marqise Lee. He's a play maker, pure and simple...after the catch, he's Tavon Austin II,or at least as close as another human can get, LOL.

Anyway, this kids got it, joy for the game, desire and God's special gift.
I would rather go Lee than Evans as well.

Watkins first for me though :)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Bradford doesn't mind forcing the ball to guys he trusts. Ammendola a Lloyd were two guys he'd throw to even if really good coverage was present. I think Cook is the guy Sam trusts now.

Quick not being on the same page with Sam is what hurt him.

Hopefully this is the year we fire on all cylinders. Our OL should be fixed one way or another, same system for a third straight year, and we'll potentially have all second year and up players catching the ball. There really isn't any excuses anymore. It's time to put up or reevaluate the direction of our offense.

iced

Bradford doesn't mind forcing the ball to guys he trusts. Ammendola a Lloyd were two guys he'd throw to even if really good coverage was present. I think Cook is the guy Sam trusts now.

+1

Quick literally can't get on the same page as the playbook.. he misses so many hot reads, consistently

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
+1

Quick literally can't get on the same page as the playbook.. he misses so many hot reads, consistently

Oh gosh he's bad about it...

Gibson use to be like that, too. Eventually Sam developed some chemistry with him. I hope that's the case, here.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This guy fits any team

Outstanding size and length. Functionally strong to power through the jam. Boxes out defenders and is a big red-zone target. Hardwood background is evident -- outstanding leaper with "above-the-rim" skills to go over top of smaller DBs and highpoint throws. Creates late, subtle separation. Tracks and adjusts. Makes contested grabs -- attacks throws and outmuscles defenders in a crowd. Nearly unstoppable executing back-shoulder catches. Strong, reliable hands. Very strong after the catch -- slams into tacklers, is a load to bring down and leans for extra yardage. Productive playmaker -- averaged 20 yards per catch in 2013 and showed up in big games (18-566-5 vs. Alabama and Auburn). Good blocker. Physically dominant and tough. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey

Evans averaged 7.63 after catch yards
Benjamin averaged 4.89 After catch yards
Watkins averaged 8.48 after catch yards

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

And Bradford missing 9+ games in Quick's second year didn't help. I sure hope Sam is able to get back early and do some work over the summer with these guys again.