Why Evans doesn't fit.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Bradford had no issues throwing it into tight windows with Amendola and throwing it up to Brandon Lloyd. I wouldn't throw jump balls to Chris Givens, Brandon Gibson or Brian Quick either. Hell, he threw a jump ball to Quick against San Francisco that Quick misplayed and it ended up getting intercepted.

Thatmwas bradford fault he threw it to short

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thatmwas bradford fault he threw it to short

It wasn't short. It was a little bit inside but Quick jumped too early and instead of high-pointing it, the ball got there when he was almost back on the ground. If he had jumped at the right time, he could have caught the ball.

That's the point of a 50/50 jump ball. Throw it up and let the WR get it. Quick misplayed the ball.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It wasn't short. It was a little bit inside but Quick jumped too early and instead of high-pointing it, the ball got there when he was almost back on the ground. If he had jumped at the right time, he could have caught the ball.

That's the point of a 50/50 jump ball. Throw it up and let the WR get it. Quick misplayed the ball.

Looked short AND inside to me.

SierraRam

Recreational User
How long did Sam focus solely on Amendola? Not a big guy, but he was usually open

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looked short AND inside to me.

It was inside but it wasn't short.
Quick_SF_1.png

Quick_SF_2.png

As you can see, the ball is there. As you can see in the first pic, Quick is at his highest point before the ball gets there. He mistimed his jump and is coming back down to the ground when the ball gets there. So yes, it was inside but it was also a 6'3" WR vs. a 5'10" CB, the point of a jump ball is that the ball placement doesn't need to be perfect. Quick just misplayed it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It was inside but it wasn't short.
Quick_SF_1.png

Quick_SF_2.png

As you can see, the ball is there. As you can see in the first pic, Quick is at his highest point before the ball gets there. He mistimed his jump and is coming back down to the ground when the ball gets there. So yes, it was inside but it was also a 6'3" WR vs. a 5'10" CB, the point of a jump ball is that the ball placement doesn't need to be perfect. Quick just misplayed it.

Still seems to me that while Quick may have mistimed his jump, the ball was still short and inside, IMO. On the 2nd picture where he is coming down, the ball is just getting there and it's a spot where the 5"10" defender can make a play.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Inside was the wrong place for the ball, wasn't it?
I agree inside in this case was as much a bad throw as anything. If the ball is out front more or to the outside more it gives Quick a better opportunity to make a play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still seems to me that while Quick may have mistimed his jump, the ball was still short and inside, IMO. On the 2nd picture where he is coming down, the ball is just getting there and it's a spot where the 5"10" defender can make a play.

The ball is even with Quick there. I can't argue that it's not inside, it is. But we're talking about a jump ball on the fade, I'm sure Bradford was expecting one of two things to happen:
1. The 6'3" 220 pound WR to outmuscle the 5'10" 190 pound DB and get inside position
or
2. The 6'3" 220 pound WR to high-point the ball over the 5'10" 190 pound DB

Quick did neither. He allowed the CB to get inside position and didn't do much to stop it and then he mistimed his jump so he couldn't high-point the ball.

I agree inside in this case was as much a bad throw as anything. If the ball is out front more or to the outside more it gives Quick a better opportunity to make a play.

Then that wouldn't be a jump ball, it would hit him in stride. While that would be an amazing throw, I'd rather Bradford not have to make the perfect throw for Quick to catch it. That's the point of having Quick...his ability to go up and get the football. Jump balls aren't supposed to be perfect throws, they're putting the onus on the WR to win the individual battle rather than putting the onus on the QB to put it where only the WR can get it. That's what you do with a guy like Givens or Tavon who can't win a jump ball. You hit them in stride. The point of throwing it up to Quick is Quick going up over a smaller DB and making a difficult play.

Inside was the wrong place for the ball, wasn't it?

Yes but you also have to keep in mind that the QB probably expects the 6'3" 220 pound WR to outmuscle the DB and get in position or go up over him. Quick allowed the DB to get position and then mistimed his jump.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Then that wouldn't be a jump ball, it would hit him in stride. While that would be an amazing throw, I'd rather Bradford not have to make the perfect throw for Quick to catch it. That's the point of having Quick...his ability to go up and get the football. Jump balls aren't supposed to be perfect throws, they're putting the onus on the WR to win the individual battle rather than putting the onus on the QB to put it where only the WR can get it. That's what you do with a guy like Givens or Tavon who can't win a jump ball. You hit them in stride. The point of throwing it up to Quick is Quick going up over a smaller DB and making a difficult play.

I would not argue that in a jump ball situation where the ball is thrown well enough to allow the receiver to out jump the defender for it, from these stills it looks like it would have been an amazing catch to pull off by going over the top of the defender and reaching inside to get to the ball. It happens just not what I would call your typical jump ball scenario.

IMO on this play you are asking Quick to pull off the once a year play.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you guys really arguing about one single play and how that relates to needing or not needing a player?

If that play there tells us anything about Bradford or Quick as a whole then why even play the games?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not argue that in a jump ball situation where the ball is thrown well enough to allow the receiver to out jump the defender for it, from these stills it looks like it would have been an amazing catch to pull off by going over the top of the defender and reaching inside to get to the ball. It happens just not what I would call your typical jump ball scenario.

IMO on this play you are asking Quick to pull off the once a year play.

I'm asking Quick to do what big WRs do against small CBs. Use his size to overpower him, get in position and go up and get the football. It was only an "once in a year" type play because Quick made no attempt to use his strength and size to gain position and then jumped too early.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm asking Quick to do what big WRs do against small CBs. Use his size to overpower him, get in position and go up and get the football. It was only an "once in a year" type play because Quick made no attempt to use his strength and size to gain position and then jumped too early.
You mean learn how to use offensive PI but not get called for it? I'd be good with our WRs getting away with some of that for a change.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Are you guys really arguing about one single play and how that relates to needing or not needing a player?

If that play there tells us anything about Bradford or Quick as a whole then why even play the games?

Nope. We were just discussing a play where we disagree. That's all.