Why does Jeff Fisher love Sam Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Why does Jeff Fisher love Sam Bradford?
By NFLBuddah on Jun 18 2014

Seriously. I’ve noticed that some people rip on Sam but if he was that bad, wouldn’t the coach dump him and get someone else?

Since Jeff Fisher became the HC he could have drafted Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kick Cousins, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, ,Logan Thomas, Tom Savage, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Taj Boyd etc (just to name a few) – that’s 20 QUARTERBACKS they skipped (and could have traded for many others) …

…such as Matt Flynn, Alex Smith Chad Henne, Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, Rex Grossman, Donavan McNabb, Drew Stanton, Matt Moore, Tarvaris Jackson, Brady Quinn, Chase Daniel, Brian Hoyer,Byron Leftwich, Michael Vick, Josh McCown, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Freeman, Brandon Weeden, Kevin Kolb, Mark Sanchez, etc (that’s 20+ more). They could have done a trade if they wanted to. They could have got someone else. In all honesty there’s 50+ QB’s they could have gotten.

But none of them were viewed as better or more important than Sam. None. Of. Them.

So what does that say? In fact I know what some would say: "his contract his contract his contract…". But you know what I say to that? BullShite. If he wasn’t viewed as the best option he’d be gone – especially by a new coaching staff which didn’t draft him.

Why would Fisher care? He’s got total autonomy. He could have traded Sam, picked RG3 or anybody else. Someone else could suck on Sams contract even with the salary cap hits. As far as Kroenke goes, what’s 10 or 20 million to a zillionaire? He’s probably got that much in his mattress. His next yacht will cost more than that.

The only reason I’m bringing this up is because sometimes it’s so tiring hearing the dumping on Sam. From my perspective he’s copped it from the beginning. He went to the worst team in the league – pure trailer trash – and has shined as an exemplary human being. He’s not doing bongs. He’s not drunk at a party.

He’s at the freaking facility every freaking day working harder than anyone and every one of his team-mates backs him up, not to mention one of the best coaching staffs in the league. And yet there’s some people in here who question that? You’ve got to be kidding. You know why they back him up? Because he’s also an excellent player. If not, he’d be at K-Mart handing you some change right about now.

All he’s done is subject his body to pure abuse akin to being run over by a buffalo (or ram) stampede over and over again. Remember Bulger? Remember how he was beaten to a pulp? Collapsing from phantom rushers? Never to play again?

Sam walked into that. Or should I say got run over by that.

But yet he got up and walked back to the huddle again. Until the 500000000+ hit temporarily got to him. But no one seems to appreciate that anyone else would have been gone at 20000. Instead they say ‘he sucks’ as his receivers drop the ball again.

You know the most amazing part? That these ‘naysayers’ never stop and think for one moment let alone acknowledge that the head coach knows more than them. Can you believe it? Do they think Fisher’s on drugs? That he doesn’t know football?

That their credentials (the forum poster) are somehow better that a Super Bowl coach with something like 25+ years coaching experience? I mean seriously, please, just stop. The coach knows what’s going on. The assistant coaches would know if the HC was off his head. If they thought Fisher was losing it they’d dump him quicker than Captain Queeg with a raspberry omelette.

But no one’s doing that. You know why? Because our quarterback Samuel Jacob Bradford is one of the best in the game and everyone atRams park with a modicum of football knowledge agrees with that. If not - they would get someone else – or else lose their jobs and their livelihood. Let’s be perfectly honest. Even DaVinci couldn’t paint without paint.

So please. Be nice to Sam. He’s a far better option than anyone else.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
How people can bash Bradford is beyond me. For most of his career, he's had 2 seconds to throw a ball, 2 seconds to go through progressions, in an offense that he's still learning, to throw a ball that will be dropped anyway, if the receiver actually ran the right route this time. He's been handed a cup of water and tossed into a burning building, expected to make a difference. When he's finally handed a hose in 2013, he looked great. And he did it with no running game to speak of and still mediocre receivers.

Why would Jeff Fisher NOT love Sam Bradford?

69superbowl

Rookie
All Sam has done is every single thing his coaches have asked of him. How can a head coach/OC/QB coach not love that quality in a player? And he seems to be a quality human being as well.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Sam has not lived up to his "status of being a #1 pick, the rookie contract and all that BUT ... you have to be fair to him in the fact that he came into and went through as rough a time as any young QB could. OC changes ... porous OL ... lack of talent at the WR position ... couple of injuries....

To date, I can't "fault" or "bash" him for having to endure that. He was never "set up to succeed". I am looking forward to seeing if he can live up to all of it over the next 2 seasons. Fisher and Snead seem to be trying to bloster everything around him. The running game can be his best friend. What he/we ned is luck with injuries ... to HIM, his OL and the weapons around him. THEN I think we can fairly judge.

Ozark Ram

UDFA
Excellent post!! As you so correctly state "Even DaVinci couldn’t paint without paint", Sam could not utilize his talents being sacked time and time again. He can tell us just how many knotholes there are in each rafter in the dome (figuratively speaking) because of being knocked on his back every game for so long....yet he got up ready to take the next hit. He does not deserve all of the criticism and blame for the Rams lack of a winning record during his time with the team.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good post. I didn't want the Rams to draft Sam, preferring Suh (mainly because I felt that Bradford's shoulder was a risk, that the Rams couldn't be fully sure about the long term risks until much later). That being said, Sam has done a good amount considering what he's been up against.

But I do think that Fisher is emotionally invested in Sam despite not drafting him. When Fisher came here he cited Sam as one of the reasons, and I'd be surprised if Fisher wanted to give up on someone who is supposedly one of the reasons he came to the Rams (along with the money and the autonomy, of course). So it's possible that Fisher would have been more likely to replace Sam if that weren't the case.

In terms of why some people bash him - well, some are just haters who will bash any QB. But I think a few who are otherwise rational bash Sam because he was supposed to be an amazing prospect who is paid a fortune, and even though there are good reasons he has not produced at an elite level. Some are letting their disappointment that he's not a big star to color that he's been productive when allowed, even if not a great player yet.

Personally, I think he's more than a game manager, and has shown that at times (amazing how people forget all those 4th quarter comebacks in 2012). But most of the bashers won't go away until he has a pro bowl season or two.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I mostly agree with the statements made. The paragraph about who we could have traded Bradford for is a bit ridiculous though. I don't believe there is any way the Falcons would trade their new star QB. Why we would trade Bradford right after his excellent rookie season for Donovan McNabb on the very last legs of his career is beyond me. Trading for Brady Quinn, Mark Sanchez, Byron Leftwich, Chase Daniels, or Brandon Weeden would just be an absolute joke. Trades with your rival teams rarely ever happen as well so we could rule out Alex Smith and a sucky Tavaris Jackson. This whole portion of the article seemed like a comedy of names to me.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter who says what about Sam. The idiots will always think he sucks cause he doesn't throw, catch, run, tackle, sack the QB, and pick off passes by himself. Great article though. Obviously I agree with the author. We have a top 10(talent wise) QB and it will stay that way for the next 8-10 years.

Stay healthy, show that last season's play wasn't a fluke, and all of the bs media talk stops, only problem is we won't be able to troll the pre-draft media with our Mariota love :(.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I look at it this way, and put Bradford in Matthew Stafford's shoes. Bradford would put up really good numbers. Our shaky O-line with the combination of WR's not getting open in time made Bradford a sitting duck back there. I just hope he stays mentally tough, and not get the phantom pressure where he will break down mentally. Prime example is David Carr when he was playing for Houston Texans. That guy didn't get any help from his O-Line, running game, and was sacked 68 times (2005) in one year. I am not comparing stats to Bradford to Carr, but the situation where they didn't get help from their O-line.

I have faith that this year that our offense will be in the top 15 at least. Now we have a better identity of the offense, and at least a proven RB in Zac. It should open up the play-action pass to go over the top, and create big plays from a passing stand point. It should also wear out defenses with the running game.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think last year was a example of Fisher (Shotty)putting on Sam.He did have me scratching my head a couple times though.He has not played to his ability & at times over whelmed .I think his contract hurt The Rams salary wise.
Now with Kaps contract Sam might have played his cards right.He has a great agent & a lot of confidence on his ability.

My take last year the offensive line was never right,& Richardson was not a starting NFL back.When Sam got hurt it was against one of the best teams in football.The Rams played and won some big games last season without him.My believe is with Robinson & Saffold holding the pocket together & a run first offense,we will see the real Sam Bradford.

Sam has a quick release and can make all the throws.He is in the same offense going three years in a orange going into a new offense 3 years in a row.That will be quite a change especially with all the talent around him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why does Fisher love Sam Bradford?

He is accurate
Has a strong arm
He doesn't make mistakes

Those are the three biggest reasons IMO. Fisher likes to run the ball and play a more conservative offensive game. Those types of coaches are always all about being smart with the football. Many high flying offensive coordinators and head coaches prefer the QB to take more chances. That is not Fishers MO. But with the old school run first mentality it is important to be able to throw deep with accuracy to keep teams from putting 8 in the box. Bradford has the perfect make up for a QB in a Jeff Fisher offense.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think most fans, whether you love or hate Sam just want the constant discussion to go away. We would all love nothing more than for Sam to put up studly numbers this year, lead us to the playoffs and end the debate. Peyton Manning is one of the greatest QB's ever and even he has had a hard time winning the golden prize. You just can't do it by yourself as Sam would be happy to tell you I'm sure.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Bradford will be decent i don't know about elite
But, according to your signature line, "Quick is going to be a monster". Not trying to be a dick, and I hope you're right about Quick; I too believe in him, but on what are you basing this belief of decent but not elite?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The worst thing I've heard about Bradford so far is, he goes out "Nite-Clubbing" with Chris Long!:unsure: