Why Did Belicheat Not Call a Time Out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Didn't Belicheat allow something like 30 seconds or more to run off the clock before the seacock's final offensive play, the play on which game-ending interception occured? Why would Belicheat do that? It made absolutely no sense. Did anyone else wonder what the heck was going on as precious seconds were running off the clock.

mike_2133

UDFA
I was surprised too - I guess he decided to try to force a little bit of chaos into SEA offense and that's what ended up happening. I tend to give BB the benefit of the doubt since he's been so successful

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I couldnt understand why he would let time run off either, he must have liked the match up of the D he had called vs the formation the shecocks were in. He may have known somehow, that Ernie dude, that seattle was gonna throw the ball and knew that he could bait wilson to throw a pick.

Maybe he had tape of their walk through and knew what play was coming

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He probably knew exactly where they were going to throw the ball, because they probably were intercepting their play calls, haha.

A55VA6

Legend
I was calling him an idiot for not calling a T.O... but it worked out for them.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe he had tape of their walk through and knew what play was coming
He probably knew exactly where they were going to throw the ball, because they probably were intercepting their play calls, haha
It's the most logical answer, really. Not calling a timeout there goes against all logic.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
My only explanation as to why he didn't is that for the most part his corners were matching up well against the Seattle receivers and the Seahawks were lined up like they were passing. He must have felt more comfortable stopping a pass than calling timeout and perhaps forcing them to run.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I was thinking the same thing and some of the Patriots players were wondering the same thing. It really went against conventional thinking but it worked for them......that time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Probably to put the sense of urgency on seattle.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
My only explanation as to why he didn't is that for the most part his corners were matching up well against the Seattle receivers and the Seahawks were lined up like they were passing. He must have felt more comfortable stopping a pass than calling timeout and perhaps forcing them to run.
Especially in the end zone, where its almost impossible to find space.

Seems like a gamble typical of bellyfat.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Didn't Belicheat allow something like 30 seconds or more to run off the clock before the seacock's final offensive play, the play on which game-ending interception occured? Why would Belicheat do that? It made absolutely no sense. Did anyone else wonder what the heck was going on as precious seconds were running off the clock.

I sure did...He had to think he was going to go down by 3...Why wouldn't he save as much time as he could..Even running out of TOs beats running out of clock...I was astounded by that...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Last time he let the opposing team score to save time and lost, this time he let the clock run and the opposing team blew it. I think its just experience.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I thought he was just going to let them score- try and save his time outs for his last drive with Brady - but that was assuming of course Seattle would have made the right call and run it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At first I was confused, but looking at it logically, you can pretty quickly arrive at how Seattle would have played this out: NE calls timeout, Seattle runs again. Stop him again, NE burns last timeout (they only had 2), Seattle likely runs one more time, because at this point if Lynch didn't get in a third time, you can now waste all the time.

What Belichick did was genius though....by allowing that time to tick off, AND sending in his goal line d, he forced Seattle to pass.

I do think though that if NE had all 3 timeouts, he probably uses one on that play.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I was surprised too - I guess he decided to try to force a little bit of chaos into SEA offense and that's what ended up happening. I tend to give BB the benefit of the doubt since he's been so successful

Successful at what?
Cheating?

fearsomefour

Legend
I was supposed but with one minute or less left the chance of going down field after allowing a score are very slim. Letting the clock run puts the pressure on the offense to not make a mistake.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's simple. Bellifat was tuned into the channel that Petey was using to call the plays. Oop.... gotta go. The black helicopters are circling overhead.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I didn't question it at all. Your team is up by 4 meaning they NEED a TD. Seattle was down to only 1 TO.

No reason to help them out by stopping the clock. Seattle made some critical mistakes with the clock down the stretch.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't question it at all. Your team is up by 4 meaning they NEED a TD. Seattle was down to only 1 TO.

No reason to help them out by stopping the clock. Seattle made some critical mistakes with the clock down the stretch.
Marshawn Lynch is one of the best short yardage backs in the league. Everyone in the world thinks they are going to pound it in with Lynch. They have 1-timeout, that easily gives them 2-plays to punch it in. Really, you going to opt to give yourself less time to drive down for a game-tying field goal? Makes absolutely no sense. I don't think Martz would even have taken such a chance.

If the Seahawks don' t pass there, then we're all talking today about that great catch in the final drive and why Belicheat let the clock run down.