Who was better, the 1999 Rams or 2001 Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
That dude I was talking about made that video. But his was in much better quality.
That appears to be a ripoff of a ripoff.

yea, I remember seeing it some years ago in better quality. Probably got shut down a lot. Wish it was still up in good quality. Can't ever watch that whole game again, just cant...

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't disagree enough with the idea that if we just ran more, we would have won. Between Spygate and the fix I think was in because the refs bought into the whole "Wouldn't it be great if a team called the PATRIOTS won after 9/11?" stupidity.

If Martz called more runs and the team still lost, those complaining now would be complaining then as well because Martz turned away from what brought him to the dance and it cost him.

All that said, I think 2001 was better. This borders on blasphemy, but I think the 1999 defense was a bit overrated because the offense propelled the team to such huge leads that the D could play one dimensionally most of the time. Any defense would look great then.

Then the defense collapsed in 2000, making ridiculous any claims that Martz inherited a Super Bowl team. The D had to be immediately rebuilt, and the O was what he built.
If the defense is using 6 and 7 DBs and you can't run the ball, then you deserve to lose. The defense was conceding the run. Martz was too hard headed to beat them with the run.

I'm not saying the refs and the cheating didn't screw us, because it did. I'm just saying we could have still easily won despite all that and I believe with Vermeil we would have won that game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah i've watched the Bernie Kukar computer voice conspiracy video. I remember the quality being horrible and the voice annoying. It hit on quite a few points though.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
yea, I remember seeing it some years ago in better quality. Probably got shut down a lot. Wish it was still up in good quality. Can't ever watch that whole game again, just cant...
Goodell destroyed it.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If the defense is using 6 and 7 DBs and you can't run the ball, then you deserve to lose. The defense was conceding the run. Martz was too hard headed to beat them with the run.

I'm not saying the refs and the cheating didn't screw us, because it did. I'm just saying we could have still easily won despite all that and I believe with Vermeil we would have won that game.
That logic only works if they keep those same formations in when we start running.

And I can guarantee you, if we did run, we'd suddenly see a lot of phantom holding penalties on the Rams line... and then as I said, those blaming Martz now would blame him for abandoning his bread and butter. As has been posted, we ran very little in SB34 as well.

You're entitled to your opinion, but IMO, Martz wasn't the losing factor in that game. I don't believe Vermeil or anyone else would have won it.

And we certainly would have been far better off getting rid of Zygmunt later than getting rid of Martz.

Though I will admit on Martz that he shouldn't have had control of the draft. There should have been a strong GM in place to let Martz concentrate on the coaching.

SierraRam

Recreational User
True that.... think it was a perfect storm of failure with Martz being arrogant and not adjusting, not running the ball in the second half, and those cheating bastards! Plus didn't help the refs didn't call sh*t the whole game either.

Took all of those to keep that amazing to barely lose the game in the final seconds. The final drive makes me want to puke.

Rammer, are you really down to a $1.12 ? :ROFLMAO:

moklerman

Warner-phile

Martz ran it 9 times in the first half vs. Philly and the Rams were down 17-13 at the half. They ran it 10 times in the first half and were down 14-3 in the SB. It wasn't the approach, it was everything else. If Vrable gets called for a blow to the head then that first interception doesn't count for example and it's a huge shift in the game. If Proehl doesn't fumble. There were a lot of things that happened that had nothing to do with how Martz was calling the game. It was passing the ball that had the score tied with a minute left so it isn't like they couldn't have won that way.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Truth is, you can't. What NFLN shows cuts out a lot of the refs meetings, in particular the almost 5 minutes Kukar spent trying to get the ref to pick up the flag on McGinest's defensive holding penalty on that 4th and goal that became a fumble recovery for a TD. It was plain to see that Kukar was all in on the fix. You watch Kukar when he finally calls the penalty. He's pissed.

As a coda to that goal to go, even after the penalty, it took the Rams all the way to 3rd down before they scored, on a play that Martz drew up on the sidelines. Recall the video tech who claimed he taped the Rams walk through prior to the SB, and that the Rams were going over their redzone offense.

As for Martz, I remember his one regret about the game, which was that he didn't go to no huddle sooner.

Memphis Ram

Legend
2001 hands down.

Love the 1999 team. But, as I recall, they played a last place schedule where they probably saw almost every rookie QB in that year's draft class and each of the division opponents where without their best player or most impactful player (49er Steve Young, Saints Ricky Williams, Falcons Jamal Anderson).

69superbowl

Rookie
I agree with Memphis. The 1999 Rams snuck up and sucker punched an entire league. By 2001 Martz was already the assholeofthemonth on a daily basis and that offense was still dominant. I love the '99 team, cringe at the 2001 team, but ultimately think 2001, like the 1969 Rams should have been Super Bowl champions. Pffft.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think talent wise the 2001 team was better. I think not having Vermeil cost the Rams at least one more Super Bowl. Thoughts?
The 2001 team had a pretty tough schedule, and the 1999 didn't. I Think the 2001 team would have dominated even more because Warner and HOlt were a lot better (not looking at stats when I say that). The defense was better too with Aeneas....

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

MrMotes

Starter
The '99 team won the SB. Nothing is better than that.

But the 2001 team was 14-2 (team record), 8-0 on the road and played a tough schedule. Had they won the SB, they would've been the best Rams team of all time and arguably one of the best NFL teams of all time. But they didn't...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Real funny guys.... I posted all my funds on bets especially the Michael sam one! lol
"Remember if you don't swing for the fences you shouldn't be swinging ;)" ~ The Rammer

willworkforfood.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Real funny guys.... I posted all my funds on bets especially the Michael sam one! lol
"Remember if you don't swing for the fences you shouldn't be swinging ;)" ~ The Rammer

I bet a lot of Sam making the roster too. I'm thinking about adding to that but I'll sit still for now.