Who was better, the 1999 Rams or 2001 Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
All we had to do was run the ball. They had so many DBs on the field we could have shredded them with Faulk. He was our best player. He barely touched the ball. We should have beat those guys even though they cheated. We almost did.
True that.... think it was a perfect storm of failure with Martz being arrogant and not adjusting, not running the ball in the second half, and those cheating bastards! Plus didn't help the refs didn't call sh*t the whole game either.

Took all of those to keep that amazing to barely lose the game in the final seconds. The final drive makes me want to puke.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
All we had to do was run the ball. They had so many DBs on the field we could have shredded them with Faulk. He was our best player. He barely touched the ball. We should have beat those guys even though they cheated. We almost did.
If the refs allowed the Patriots CBs to hold the Rams receivers, what was going to keep them from calling holding every play Faulk gained significant yards?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
EDIT: I don't want anyone to "like" this post. It feels good for me to get this shit off my chest every few years. :mad:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New England Patriots at 1:30, (1st play from scrimmage 1:21)
1st-10-NE 17 (1:21)T.Brady pass to J.Redmond to NE 22 for 5 yards (D.Bly, L.Fletcher). Pass 3, Run 2
2nd-5-NE 22 :57)T.Brady pass to J.Redmond to NE 30 for 8 yards (A.Williams, T.Polley). Pass 3, Run 5
1st-10-NE 30 :41)T.Brady pass incomplete.
2nd-10-NE 30 :41)T.Brady pass to J.Redmond pushed ob at NE 41 for 11 yards (T.Polley, K.Herring).
1st-10-NE 41 :33)T.Brady pass incomplete.*
2nd-10-NE 41 :29)T.Brady pass to T.Brown ran ob at SL 36 for 23 yards (A.Archuleta). Pass 14, Run 9
1st-10-SL 36 :21)T.Brady pass to J.Wiggins to SL 30 for 6 yards (D.McCleon, L.Little). Pass 1, Run 5
2nd-4-SL 30 :07)T.Brady pass incomplete.*
3rd-4-SL 30 :07)A.Vinatieri 48 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-L.Paxton, Holder-K.Walter.

NE 20 SL 17, 9 plays, 53 yards, 1:30 drive, 15:00 elapsed END OF GAME - Final: New England 20, St. Louis 17

*All i know is this play was blatant intentional grounding, which would've made things extremely difficult for NE considering the very next play killed us.

*This play also pisses me off. I've been outspoken about the NFL needing to change it's policy on "the spike play." It's literally an intentional grounding and a cheap trick that has been a part of the game forever. Make the offense run a play. Snap it and force the QB to throw it out of bounds or whatever.

For anyone who cares to rewatch the most hellish 1:21 in Rams history...

Last edited:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Brady wasn't outside the hashmarks, and their wasn't a receiver in 10 yards.:mad:

Like I've said for years, the fix was in.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
If the refs allowed the Patriots CBs to hold the Rams receivers, what was going to keep them from calling holding every play Faulk gained significant yards?
For that matter, what was going to keep the refs from calling any penalty that forced the Rams to pass?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No reason to still be crying over this big robbery at the same time I still find it hard to get this game & the big negative mark in my mind on the NFL out of my memory ....I will take with me to my grave......It was just plain wrong in so many ways....

The 2001 team was stronger!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Brady wasn't outside the hashmarks, and their wasn't a receiver in 10 yards.:mad:

Like I've said for years, the fix was in.
The penalty for intentional grounding has several components so that the offense gains no benefit from the violation:[2]

• The offense is backed up 10 yards from the line of scrimmage or to the spot of the pass, whichever is most disadvantageous.
  • The offense loses the down rather than replaying it.
  • If the quarterback threw the pass from his team's own end zone, the penalty results in a safety being scored by the defense.[3]
  • The offense cannot commit a penalty as a form of clock management, because offensive penalties with less than one minute left in the half include a ten-second runoff on the game clock.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So if it had been called(correctly), it would have been 2nd and 20 at their own 31 yard line. Also since it was under one minute to go, doesn't this rule state a 10 second run off as well?...leaving only :23 seconds on the clock?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The penalty for intentional grounding has several components so that the offense gains no benefit from the violation:[2]

• The offense is backed up 10 yards from the line of scrimmage or to the spot of the pass, whichever is most disadvantageous.
  • The offense loses the down rather than replaying it.
  • If the quarterback threw the pass from his team's own end zone, the penalty results in a safety being scored by the defense.[3]
  • The offense cannot commit a penalty as a form of clock management, because offensive penalties with less than one minute left in the half include a ten-second runoff on the game clock.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So if it had been called(correctly), it would have been 2nd and 20 at their own 31 yard line. Also since it was under one minute to go, doesn't this rule state a 10 second run off as well?...leaving only :23 seconds on the clock?
Not to mention the Ram pass rush would have been all over them on 2nd down, after achieving what was in effect a sack.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sorry fellas i'm done bitchin and moaning. I'll stop after this post.

th

th

200.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sorry fellas i'm done bitchin and moaning. I'll stop after this post.

th

th

200.gif
That's not even close to the complaining this one guy did after that game. He was the owner of stlouisrams.net. I spoke to him off and on, and even gave him some graphics to use for his website, but he went right off the deep end and straight into a rabbit hole after that game was over. He dedicated all of his time to the officiating of that game, and made countless videos demonstrating (in excruciating detail) all of the non-calls. Even turned his site into an online shrine of conspiracy about how the Patriots were the PREdetermined winners of that game. He took it really, really, really hard.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's not even close to the complaining this one guy did after that game. He was the owner of stlouisrams.net. I spoke to him off and on, and even gave him some graphics to use for his website, but he went right off the deep end and straight into a rabbit hole after that game was over. He dedicated all of his time to the officiating of that game, and made countless videos demonstrating (in excruciating detail) all of the non-calls. Even turned his site into an online shrine of conspiracy about how the Patriots were the PREdetermined winners of that game. He took it really, really, really hard.

I remember that site I was sent a link to it.....yeah he was out of his mind. Didn't he have something like 40 plus examples of bad officiating, missed calls and so on.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I don't personally believe the game was fixed. But I do believe this;

(1) Spy gate helped them. The NFL destroyed tapes for a reason. Goodell knew the game's credibility would be freaked permanently.

(2) The officiating in the playoffs always gets loose. This double set of rules is total BS, and it affected the outcome of this game.

(3) The Rams destroy the Raiders in this SB. They got screwed even harder than the Rams by Brady's non-fumble in the AFC title game.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I might have been that guy, if I had the internet skills. My brother recorded the game, then erased it. I was angry at HIM, because I was certain that I could do something with the recording to prove the Rams had been robbed. Of course, he was mad at Martz mostly, but he came around later when reports came out about certain defensive coordinators saying, "you mean, we could have done that?"

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There needs to be a documentary on us getting screwed in that Super Bowl. Why were the videos destroyed? Funny how Asshole Face got suspended for a full year for bountygate, but not much happened to the Pats outside losing a first round pick in a draft where they had 2 and some fines.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I took it very, very hard...and yes, i believe the fix was on and it was entirely political.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If that team had been named the New England Clam Chowders instead of the Patriots that game would have been hyped and officiated entirely different.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I can't disagree enough with the idea that if we just ran more, we would have won. Between Spygate and the fix I think was in because the refs bought into the whole "Wouldn't it be great if a team called the PATRIOTS won after 9/11?" stupidity.

If Martz called more runs and the team still lost, those complaining now would be complaining then as well because Martz turned away from what brought him to the dance and it cost him.

All that said, I think 2001 was better. This borders on blasphemy, but I think the 1999 defense was a bit overrated because the offense propelled the team to such huge leads that the D could play one dimensionally most of the time. Any defense would look great then.

Then the defense collapsed in 2000, making ridiculous any claims that Martz inherited a Super Bowl team. The D had to be immediately rebuilt, and the O was what he built.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Just to add more fuel to the fire....
There is also a 7 part video series by a guy who examines them closer, but the video is very annoying as all the text is spoken from the computer. I am sure some know what ones I am talking about.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just to add more fuel to the fire....
There is also a 7 part video series by a guy who examines them closer, but the video is very annoying as all the text is spoken from the computer. I am sure some know what ones I am talking about.

That dude I was talking about made that video. But his was in much better quality.
That appears to be a ripoff of a ripoff.