Who wants to handicap OLB competition way too early?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Any word on Tegray Scales or Ejuan Price? While Hager has some experience and can come up to fill a running lane I am hoping the Rams have a little more talent than him for the 53 man roster.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Any word on Tegray Scales or Ejuan Price? While Hager has some experience and can come up to fill a running lane I am hoping the Rams have a little more talent than him for the 53 man roster.
Ejaun Price was on the practice squad most of last season.
He might be one of the reasons that we drafted three outside linebackers.
He had definitely better step it up this camp if he wants to stick around.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.therams.com/news/mcvay-longacre-will-be-ready-to-go-for-training-camp

McVay: Longacre Will be ‘Ready to Go’ for Training Camp
Kristen Lago

Both OTAs and minicamp marked an important time for the Rams, allowing the franchise to welcome in several additions while perfecting its scheme on offense, defense, and special teams.

But the offseason program also allowed Los Angeles to continue rehab work with some of its veteran players. One example was outside linebacker Matt Longacre.

Longacre is in line to take on a starting role next year, but was sidelined throughout the offseason after undergoing back surgery and finishing 2017 on injured reserve. Fortunately for the Rams, head coach Sean McVay was optimistic about Longacre’s outlook, saying he would be “ready to go” come training camp.

“Unless there’s a setback, he should be ready to go and we’re expecting big things from Matt,” McVay said. “We know that Matt has been an extremely productive player for us and he’s going to take on a large role moving forward, but he’s feeling good.”

In 2017, Longacre was mainly used as a depth piece on the outside, but made an impact when called upon. Through the first seven games of the season, the three-year veteran led the team in sacks. He finished the year with 5.5 sacks and 23 total tackles, before suffering a season-ending injury.

And because he is projected to step into such a large role in 2018, McVay and the rest of the coaching staff wanted to be cautious with his offseason reps — ensuring he would be at his best for the regular season.

“We wanted to be real smart with that back injury and knowing that he’s got some history in this system, he’s got that comfort level and we’re expecting some really good things from him when we start up training camp,” McVay said. “He should be ready to go.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry looked for a topic not a post in another topic figuring this news was headline worth :)

dang

Legend
I am starting to feel tunnel-visioned about Hager. In his limited time at LB - I just didn't see any but a below average ILB - ready to stick his nose in the pile but not being able to keep up with the speed of the game. Am I being too tough on Hager or are my observations valid?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@BonifayRam did it as well, lol. I've never before seen the same article already posted end up being posted as three different threads and then deleted. :headexplosion:

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/the-search-engine-is-your-friend.49729/ :cool:

I got so:yay:over an article on Matt Longacre I blew out my one working brain cell.:seizure:I really believe he will be a large overall improvement on that weak side in 2018 IF he is fully healthy. Matt sure seemed to outplay Rob Quinn in the first half of the season. Matt did a better job in setting the outside edge against the RB's & also with QB weak side run containment than Quinn.

Guess we may have a younger version of a Matt Longacre in our last 3rd day draft selection in Justin Lawler who handle the duties of Matt in OTA's & the Mini camp. In addition we all expect that 5th rd pick Og Okoronkwo will catch up later on. It's hard for me to think that our 4th rd draft selection John Franklin- Meyers @ 6-4 290 lbs is being considered for the OLB'er position, however Rams did assign him # 57. I have heard nothing about OLB 6th rd selection Trevor Young #49?:bueller:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
ILB Tegray Scales looks to crack the crowded position
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...roster-preview-tegray-scales-indiana-hoosiers
A highly-rated draft prospect, does Scales have enough talent to crack the Rams roster as a linebacker?
By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Jun 21, 2018

When the Los Angeles Rams made the decision to trade ILB Alec Ogletree, they opened a large roster hole in the middle of their 3-4 defense. Not only was Ogletree a starter and someone who the Rams heavily invested into both draft- and contract-extension wise, he was the leader of the defense.

So while it’s likely that ILB Cory Littleton has earned the first crack at the starting job left from Tree’s departure, it does open a ILB spot deeper down the depth chart.That’s where rookie undrafted free agent Tegray Scales comes into play.

Scales is a former Indiana Hoosiers LB who was highly productive in college totaling 365 tackles through four years. Unfortunately for Scales, he was not drafted in the 2018 NFL Draft. Nothing really negates his production to the point of depriving him of being picked including solid athleticism, size may have played a factor there.

Roster battle

Inside linebacker is one of the Rams’ most wide-open battles on the roster. With a ton of other positions already locked in, the ILB room has space for one of these young guys to carve out a role. ILB Mark Barron headlines the group as the veteran and will hold the starting spot at the “MoLB” position. Littleton is being given first-crack at the “MikeLB” position. While by all accounts he’s doing a fine job thus far, LB play can never really be evaluated until the hitting begins. ILB’s Bryce Hager and Ramik Wilson have both been stop-gap starters in the past (moreso Wilson with the Kansas City Chiefs) though neither has impressed to the point of locking them in for snaps at this piont. Rookie ILB’s Micah Kiser (fifth-round rookie) and Travin Howard (seventh-round rookie) join Scales in the fight for an ILB roster spot.

Though it seems like a laundry list of guys, Scales comes in as a highly-productive LB with good enough athleticism and a very high football IQ giving him a real chance to crack the 53-man roster. If he can endear himself to Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel, that’ll only help his chances.

Expectations

Though it’s not highly likely a guy like Scales makes a major impact as a undrafted rookie free agent, he’s one of the few UDFA’s with a real shot to crack the roster. And as I mentioned above, he could have a real role as a Special Teams player, with all units losing players who were highly productive such as Littleton.

Chances of Making Final Roster (5.5/10)
It’ll be tough to get it done, but Scales has the production, smarts, and character to make an impression on the Rams early and often. If he can jump veterans like Ramik Wilson or Bryce Hager, he absolutely could find his spot on the 53-man roster.

dang

Legend
Will be interesting to see how Scales and Kiser chances line up with Hager and Wilson chances.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Will be interesting to see how Scales and Kiser chances line up with Hager and Wilson chances.
I believe their chances are real good that they stick.

Due to the Rams having four LB'ers who will need new contracts after this season:

Matt Longacre
Ramik Wilson
Cory Littleton
Bryce Hager

You might also want to consider that the Rams will paying Mark Barron somewhere between $9 to $10 million a yr for the next three seasons too...sure appears to be out of normal $ range for a Wade interior LB'er. Normally he prefers to press for spending big $$ cap on pass rushers & pro bowl CB's

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I got so:yay:over an article on Matt Longacre I blew out my one working brain cell.

i'm lucky to have 3 working brain cells,one keeps my heart and lung working, one turns food to shit and one is for sex. lucky me!!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
One thing is for sure. The names and faces of our final 53 LB room are far from fully determined.

Even the starters beyond Barron should only be penciled in at this point.

Wade is gonna do a whole lotta tinkering between now and opening day with his LB’s. Obviously, he has options and some players with as yet unknown talents in his scheme. Nice position for a DC like Wade to find himself in, huh?

Good thing for us fans, too, since all other D starters have been well known long since. Gives us SOMETHING to debate on this D for the next 2 1/2 months. Lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am starting to feel tunnel-visioned about Hager. In his limited time at LB - I just didn't see any but a below average ILB - ready to stick his nose in the pile but not being able to keep up with the speed of the game. Am I being too tough on Hager or are my observations valid?

Not at all. Hager's a good team guy, technically very sound but limited. Depth player who is going to have a lot of competition in this camp.

Overall our ILB roster is lacking perfect fit type talent IMO... Barron's light in the pants and needs to be more disciplined vs the run. Littleton doesn't stand out in run or pass, but his play vs the pass will determine whether or not he wins the starting job. Kiser needs a ton of work in the passing game. And so on. And there's also the question of who calls the defense, doubt it's Barron. But I do think Wade's history means we might be surprised by the production so have my fingers crossed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Ram65

Legend
Just read some additional information on our veteran staring inside LB'er Mark Barron's that has just been reviled on some of his unknown health issues.

"Working his way back from procedures to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder and bone spurs in both heels,"

http://www.sportsxchange.com/tsxfiles/?page_id=211&max_colums=20&story_id=194715

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/07/los_angeles_rams_looking_to_ma.html

Nice find Boni. Been awhile since we questioned Barron's health on a that thead. Rams don't give much info on injuries. I think they have some doubts about Barron. I think the labrum will be ok from the recovery time. Not sure about bone spurs if they are still giving him trouble. Barron has played hurt which makes me think he will be able to play but, still a little unsettling.

www.drsoffer.com/torn-labrum-shoulder-surgery-recovery-time
Once your sling comes off, you will need to do flexibility exercises in order to restore strength and mobility to your shoulder. Overall, you can usually expect your torn labrum shoulder surgery recovery time to be between three and six months.Dec 21, 2017

Bone Spur Repair: What to Expect at Home
https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/aftercareinformation/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid...
This is normal and will start to go away in a few days. Your recovery will depend on where the bone spur was and the type of surgery you had. It may take several days to a few weeks for you to feel better. You may have to limit your activity until your strength and movement return to normal.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nice find Boni. Been awhile since we questioned Barron's health on a that thead. Rams don't give much info on injuries. I think they have some doubts about Barron. I think the labrum will be ok from the recovery time. Not sure about bone spurs if they are still giving him trouble. Barron has played hurt which makes me think he will be able to play but, still a little unsettling.

www.drsoffer.com/torn-labrum-shoulder-surgery-recovery-time
Once your sling comes off, you will need to do flexibility exercises in order to restore strength and mobility to your shoulder. Overall, you can usually expect your torn labrum shoulder surgery recovery time to be between three and six months.Dec 21, 2017

Bone Spur Repair: What to Expect at Home
https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/aftercareinformation/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid...
This is normal and will start to go away in a few days. Your recovery will depend on where the bone spur was and the type of surgery you had. It may take several days to a few weeks for you to feel better. You may have to limit your activity until your strength and movement return to normal.

I think The Rams know all about Mark Barron!!
I think Ram fans have been the ones in doubt!!

Getting rid of Ogletree & having Barron as the only veteran LBer speaks volumes to me about McVay & Wades confidence in him.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
It may take several days to a few weeks for you to feel better. You may have to limit your activity until your strength and movement return to normal.
Which all means he'll be just fine by training camp. So the bone spurs really are a non issue. They have a procedure now using laser surgery to help with bone spurs. Insurance won't cover it yet, but I'm sure Barron can afford it. I've had bone spurs removed, it's painful as hell for a few days, but within a couple of weeks life was just peachy.