Who wants to handicap OLB competition way too early?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
On opening day, I predict that our 4 starters at LB will all be vets. (I'll guess Littleton and Barron at ILB, and Ebukam and Longacre or Thompson at OLB.) However, I hope Kiser and Obo get plenty of reps and become starters by 2019.
I really want to see Littleton on the field a lot. He was the only guy I noticed last year that could consistently make open field tackles.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ideally we will have Oko win the ROLB spot and Longacre slides over to LOLB. Ebukam is first sub off the bench.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On opening day, I predict that our 4 starters at LB will all be vets. (I'll guess Littleton and Barron at ILB, and Ebukam and Longacre or Thompson at OLB.) However, I hope Kiser and Obo get plenty of reps and become starters by 2019.

I could actually see the starters in the 3-4 being Barron and Kiser and Ekubam and Longacre but when we go to nickel Littleton takes over for Kiser.

I could then see Obo getting a high number of reps in Longacre's place in the nickel even at the start of the season.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I could actually see the starters in the 3-4 being Barron and Kiser and Ekubam and Longacre but when we go to nickel Littleton takes over for Kiser.

I could then see Obo getting a high number of reps in Longacre's place in the nickel even at the start of the season.

Yeah, I think these are the starters if longacre is healthy week one. If not, OboI should take his place

RamWoodie

Legend
Regardless of who gets the start I have a hard time believing this team is set at LB with what they have.

Wade has his work cut out for him because we know in a 34 defense your LBs gotta be strong, fast, and tackle well.

THERE'S MUCH WORK TO BE DONE!!!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Many will scoff as I guess I'm going to be in the minority on this one, but I'd be curious to see if Ekubaum could play ILB.

From there, I'd go with Okoronkwo & Longacre and perhaps see about picking up UDFA Junior Galette to spell them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too much to process....too many variables....much like what Memphis said above...some guys we think may be OLB's may be used inside....Okoron.....whatever....I kinda see him as an inside too...Maybe Samson....maybe Thompson....

I do like the way they threw a bunch of talent at the position....and it's gonna be an exciting camp....Maybe that TCU SS/LB is a real player???

Maybe the dude from Stephen F Austin loses some weight...and plays OLB....

I'd like to see a couple preseason games to see what shakes loose.

Ram65

Legend
Many will scoff as I guess I'm going to be in the minority on this one, but I'd be curious to see if Ekubaum could play ILB.

From there, I'd go with Okoronkwo & Longacre and perhaps see about picking up UDFA Junior Galette to spell them.

Too much to process....too many variables....much like what Memphis said above...some guys we think may be OLB's may be used inside....Okoron.....whatever....I kinda see him as an inside too...Maybe Samson....maybe Thompson....

I do like the way they threw a bunch of talent at the position....and it's gonna be an exciting camp....Maybe that TCU SS/LB is a real player???

Maybe the dude from Stephen F Austin loses some weight...and plays OLB....

I'd like to see a couple preseason games to see what shakes loose.

Ebukam in the middle is an interesting possibility. He ran a 4.5 40 but can he cover?

I Image they will try some different lineups. They do have a lot of players to sort through.

They are going to run some 4-3 defenses. Even mention some 4-3 Wade Bowl games (Saints) during the schedule announcement. They said 4-5 IIRC. Sounds like against good passing teams they will go 4-3.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They are going to run some 4-3 defenses. Even mention some 4-3 Wade Bowl games (Saints) during the schedule announcement. They said 4-5 IIRC. Sounds like against good passing teams they will go 4-3.

Wade basically runs a scheme similar to a 4-3 (similar scheme at 3T and a one gap approach) where you just don't know what side the 4th guy is comin from. I think the biggest question is who plays nose at this point.

So the key, and why Quinn was dealt, is having guys on each side who can drop if needed to keep defenses guessing. If Oko wins ROLB and Ebu wins LOLB we'll have nigerian bookends who can both drop or rush.

But I still think ideal is Longacre on the left side. Him next to Brock should be very stout on the strong side not to mention some respectable rush.

Ram65

Legend
Wade basically runs a scheme similar to a 4-3 (similar scheme at 3T and a one gap approach) where you just don't know what side the 4th guy is comin from. I think the biggest question is who plays nose at this point.

So the key, and why Quinn was dealt, is having guys on each side who can drop if needed to keep defenses guessing. If Oko wins ROLB and Ebu wins LOLB we'll have nigerian bookends who can both drop or rush.

But I still think ideal is Longacre on the left side. Him next to Brock should be very stout on the strong side not to
mention some respectable rush.

I expect to see lots of Longacre too. I get the rushing from either side or both. I even expect a bit more inside pass rushes too to really confuse offenses. Here is what Snead said during the schedule announcement. Start at 1:20. Game against the Chargers not Saints. Just sounded strange 4-3 Wade Bowl 4-5 of them on the schedule.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Inside-the-2018-Rams-Schedule-Call/41112dd8-91ad-41ee-89de-22c625e562ef

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like Ebukam & Okoronkwo just to make it difficult for announcers. I don't disagree with @Elmgrovegnome about Price, however, more on durability then ability. Price can rush the passer, but at Pitt, he had trouble staying healthy.
In training camp , Price was TheRams best pass rusher besides maybe Robert Quinn.

That was my impression . He could have F’d Goff up getting around a RT ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okoronkwo said his in post draft conference call he would be playing Robert Quinn's position, so that means he will compete with Longacre at the Will spot. He should have a good chance to beat out Longacre or at least play heavy situational snaps early. I actually like Obo more at the Sam since Wade drops his Sam more and they play out in space more than the Will does. However, with Ebukam at Sam, there is a bigger need at the Will, where Obo can chase things down from the backside and focus on rushing the passer.
I watched some games focusing on Obo,and he looks VERY similar to Robert Quinn, especially turning the corner on a RT. Of course, it was against college guys and not NFL OT's, but I really feel he could start with Ebukam

dang

Legend
So who was the plug in EDGE player that we could have gotten in draft with the R1.23 pick that’s better than what we got?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I’m going to say no way !!!

First off from last season he played total OLD/DE. This off season he looks thicker & running with the D “ Line !!

He is first in line to take over for Connor Barwin. Imo

fearsomefour

Legend
It will be interesting to see.
With the talent up front and in back a big measure may be a guys understanding of his role....being disciplined and not getting out of position....maybe more than a splash playbhere and there.
I would think the vets would have a hand up here. Assuming he is healthy Longacre would be penciled in as would Samson I would think.
That said what they need first and foremost are guys to be disciplined, contain, fill gaps, shed blocks.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Right now, it seems like Micah Kiser is the only rookie with a clear path to be a starter.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.therams.com/news/after-strong-offseason-ebukam-in-line-to-start-at-olb

After Strong Offseason, Ebukam in Line to Start at OLB
Kristen Lago

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCjsbA-SRTg

Heading into the Rams offseason program, the club’s defensive lineup appeared to be pretty settled.

From the new additions of cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib, to the acquisition of defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, those outside of the building had a good idea of which players would be starting in the secondary and on the front line. The Rams linebackers, however, was a different story, given the departures of former starters Alec Ogletree, Robert Quinn, and Connor Barwin.

But as the team looks toward training camp, it seems that at least one question mark from the group has been answered at outside linebacker.

“I think Samson Ebukam has had a tremendous spring,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said recently. “I just think he’s learned more and more about what he can do and how to do what he does… [He] certainly will have one of the starting positions.”

Ebukam made a name for himself last season early on as a dominant force on special teams. He also developed quickly as an important depth piece on the outside — recording 31 tackles, 2.0 sacks, and one forced fumble in 2017, having appeared in all 16 games.

While the coaching staff has been open with Ebukam about their plans for him this fall, the Eastern Washington product has maintained a humble attitude throughout the offseason.

“They’ve told me that and all that good stuff, but I don’t really pay attention to it,” Ebukam admitted. “I’m just here to earn my spot. It’s another year and I just have to earn it just like everybody else."

For that reason, he has been focused on delving deeper into the intricacies of the defense and working on his ability to rush the passer more effectively.

“Definitely the playbook,” Ebukam said of his growth, “being able to play faster on the field and not thinking as much as I did last year. I just feel more loose and more confident now that I know the playbook more because I didn’t have this last year.”

“I wasn’t here in OTAs [in 2017], so this is all kind of like a learning experience for me and I’ve loved it every step of the way,” he continued.

Phillips and head coach Sean McVay have been impressed with the young linebacker’s overall development.

Both mentioned the strides they’ve seen in Ebukam this offseason have given them confidence in his ability to be a starter in 2018.

“He’s got tremendous speed and he’s learning to utilize that,” Phillips said. “You’ve got to hone in on what you do well [and] he’s kinda found his niche there.”

“Samson has been a great player for us where you see the bursts, just the way that he’s consistently able to get in and out of different things whether it’s bursting [or] pursuing the football,” McVay said. “We always talk about that effort with the burst, speed, and finish and he’s really demonstrated that.”

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Handicap the Rams linebackers way too early !?!

Hell yeah!
I'm in!

Inside;
Mark Barron
Ramik Wilson

Outside;
Matt Longacre
Sampson Ebukam

Backups;

Inside;
Bryce Hager
Cory Littleton
Micah Kiser

Outside;
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Justin Lawler
Trevon Young

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it would be unlikely that someone beats out Littleton for that ILB spot. I could maybe see a thumper being in there at times in base defense though. Still, they'll accrue less snaps then he will across the defensive alignments.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Littleton and Barron are both a little light in the ass, even for inside linebackers.
That's one reason I hope they do rotate Hager, Kiser and Wilson in on run downs.

Barron and Littleton would be the preferred guys on passing downs.

Potentially they could keep all of the linebackers from getting too wore out and allow the running backs to run wild like they did at times last year.

Last edited: