Who wants to handicap OLB competition way too early?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Samson Ebukam and Matt Longacre top the depth chart but I think Longacre loses his spot by start of season. One spot seems to be Ebukam's to lose.

Okoronkwo seems like he could be the guy to take the other spot but it seems to me that Carlos Thompson made a slight impression (over Price) last year.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Samson Ebukam and Matt Longacre top the depth chart but I think Longacre loses his spot by start of season. One spot seems to be Ebukam's to lose.

Okoronkwo seems like he could be the guy to take the other spot but it seems to me that Carlos Thompson made a slight impression (over Price) last year.
I hope someone out plays longacre. Like him best as backup.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Ebukam & Okoronkwo just to make it difficult for announcers. I don't disagree with @Elmgrovegnome about Price, however, more on durability then ability. Price can rush the passer, but at Pitt, he had trouble staying healthy.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Okoronkwo said his in post draft conference call he would be playing Robert Quinn's position, so that means he will compete with Longacre at the Will spot. He should have a good chance to beat out Longacre or at least play heavy situational snaps early. I actually like Obo more at the Sam since Wade drops his Sam more and they play out in space more than the Will does. However, with Ebukam at Sam, there is a bigger need at the Will, where Obo can chase things down from the backside and focus on rushing the passer.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Ebukam said his in post draft conference call he would be playing Robert Quinn's position, so that means he will compete with Longacre at the Will spot. He should have a good chance to beat out Longacre or at least play heavy situational snaps early. I actually like Obo more at the Sam since Wade drops his Sam more and they play out in space more than the Will does. However, with Ebukam at Sam, there is a bigger need at the Will, where Obo can chase things down from the backside and focus on rushing the passer.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

All joking aside, I too expect our starting outside linebackers to be Ebukam and Okoronkwo, no matter what autocorrect says. Plus I expect our starting ILB's to be Kiser and Barron. Not too bad at all.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

All joking aside, I too expect our starting outside linebackers to be Ebukam and Okoronkwo, no matter what autocorrect says. Plus I expect our starting ILB's to be Kiser and Barron. Not too bad at all.

That's a hell of a best case scenario (given that Obo and Kiser play well)... I love it!

Ram65

Legend
Okoronkwo said his in post draft conference call he would be playing Robert Quinn's position, so that means he will compete with Longacre at the Will spot. He should have a good chance to beat out Longacre or at least play heavy situational snaps early. I actually like Obo more at the Sam since Wade drops his Sam more and they play out in space more than the Will does. However, with Ebukam at Sam, there is a bigger need at the Will, where Obo can chase things down from the backside and focus on rushing the passer.

I think they flipped Longacre on both sides at least in the Texas game with Quinn out last year. Teams also move the TEs after the defense gets set. Before his injury Longacre was playing 40% of the snaps IIRC. Now, we have to see how he comes back from the injury. If healthy, Longacre will be seeing a lot of playing time. We are going to see some kind of committee approach keeping everyone fresh. Bonsignore has Ebokam as the front runner so I guess he is the favorite to see the most time. Late pick Trevon Young is interesting after a bad hip injury in 2015 it was reported he played better late last year.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I'm not so sure that you count out Price just yet. I agree on Sickles, and I think that Thompson is also a goner.
You do realize that Thompson out played Price this last year, don't you? So why would you count Thompson out, when you're not even sure about Price. By the way, I'm pretty sure Thompson sticks while we say goodbye to Price. I haven't seen enough of Sickles to even guess about him. Have you seen anything on him?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You do realize that Thompson out played Price this last year, don't you? So why would you count Thompson out, when you're not even sure about Price. By the way, I'm pretty sure Thompson sticks while we say goodbye to Price. I haven't seen enough of Sickles to even guess about him. Have you seen anything on him?

I admit that I haven't seen anything on Sickles, but Price over Thompson is mainly because of college production and possible potential.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Obviously Longacre and Ebukan are written in as the starters now. Longacre played well last year, and if he's fully recovered from his injury..he should hold on to the spot... having Oko and the rest of the young guys in the mixt will give us nice depth...special teams..and solid competition all the way around..

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I prefer to watch the team take shape in TC and by watching preseason games instead of reading "Ourlads"

No way to know at this point who's going to start and what the depth chart is going to look like come game one.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm not so sure that you count out Price just yet. I agree on Sickles, and I think that Thompson is also a goner.
Sickles, Thompson and Price are the most likely on the hotseat. the guys they are bringing in are no just highly productive, but also great fits for the 3-4 OLB spots as far as skill sets go. Like Hager ,,, even Littleton ... they all have competition now. More so than they had last yr. The ILB/OLB competition is going to be awesome...and that alone is going to make the LB'ers corps much better than last yr. This defense is going to be scary good , with LOTS of depth

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Sickles played at PSU. He was a decent college DE but I never thought that he was a fit in an NFL defense. Price was a better player. I don’t think either stick.

TexasRam

Legend
Longacre might not have the upside that Obo might have but Longacre is a solid starter. He brings consistent pressure and sacks for the snaps he gets.

I think obo would have to come in and have a huge immediate impact to dethrone Longacre as the starter.

Kiser in the other hand, may come in and start
Day 1.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I too expect our starting outside linebackers to be Ebukam and Okoronkwo. Plus I expect our starting ILB's to be Kiser and Barron.

On opening day, I predict that our 4 starters at LB will all be vets. (I'll guess Littleton and Barron at ILB, and Ebukam and Longacre or Thompson at OLB.) However, I hope Kiser and Obo get plenty of reps and become starters by 2019.