Who should get a shot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Lastly Gurley. They need to quit effin around and install him as the starter. If the guy is healthy, which I presume he is, he needs to touch the ball. Quit with the touchy-feely "well we have four good backs" BS. You drafted the dude high for a reason. He is heads and shoulders over the rest of those guys in talent. Give him the ball. Then give it to him again and again and again on your run plays. Then run some screens and draws with him FFS.

I agree with you on the draws thing. I'd like to see some draw plays from the shotgun especially. I know we're supposed to be a power running team but it can't hurt to have some variety in there to keep defenses on their toes.

I went through the description of each offensive play from the first two games and we never run from the shotgun, always throw. I get that a shotgun formation more often than not means a pass play but a predictable offense isn't one that stays on the field for long.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Last week on Sirius the announcer (forget his name) was discussing a conversation he had with Payton Manning about the pistol formation they're running and why they were running it specifically. Basically the Broncos don't have a stout enough interior on the OL and teams have been taking advantage by crowding and shooting the interior gaps looking for penetration before he can hand the ball off. In other words he could not get out of the RB's way in time to allow for the RB to get the ball and square himself to the hole. The pistol allows them to hand the ball off without complicating the exchange in the face of all that.

This demonstrates smart offense, a tactical adjustment due to the personnel issues they have up front. Of course they have a Hall of Fame QB which helps, but yeah I gotta agree that the way this OL is playing right now with up/down performance it would make sense to do a little of that themselves.

Re: draws... Gurley would be a nightmare for defenses. He is very strong and capable of beating a tackle, and has that gear to kill a defense with just a lane. Gotta think even a faked handoff to him from a shotgun formation is going to freeze those LBs and safeties and help out in the passing game.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Greg Robinson can sit
And I'd play the Williams kid

image.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Need to get my glasses checked. When I first glanced at the title I thought it said "Who should get shot" and almost deleted it, lol.

Athos

Legend
Need to get my glasses checked. When I first glanced at the title I thought it said "Who should get shot" and almost deleted it, lol.

:ROFLMAO:

It works either way. I can think of several guys who should be shot...... With a fully loaded shit shooter that rockets a steaming turd in their face for their level of play.

Too visceral a detail?:unsure:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
with the signing of Toon, it got me thinking...is there anyone on the team you would sit and give someone else a shot?

For me, I would sit Long. I think Westbrooks or Hayes would be an upgrade. I love Longs fire, but his leadership does not make up for the contract to output ratio for me.
Three points:
* Toon is only signed to the PS.
* And Westbrooks isn't anywhere near being in the same Class as Long.
* Hayes, IMHO, is ONLY a good rotational DE/DT.
Chris Long is going to Be in the Ariz. Back-field so often this Sunday the Cards will think he's a member of their Team!:D

512x.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And @Rainram I'm gonna need you to explain the Long being our best LDE...I love the guy, but have seen no proof. I see much more out of Hayes.
Did you happen to notice Chris all over the Place in the first two games!? Hayes hasn't shown me anything!

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
1. As already said multiple times, Harkey on the field more
2. Benny with more carries. Maybe it is just me but he seems to be doing the most damage by far of any of the backs when he gets the ball in his hands. Ride the hot hand at running back.
3. Quick if is healthy. Get him on the field.
4. Austin and Givens getting more routes downfield for long passes. Especially Austin. He has the speed, he should be getting more routes downfield.
5. Bailey on the field more.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you happen to notice Chris all over the Place in the first two games!? Hayes hasn't shown me anything!

I don't care that he is around the ball. I want him to make some plays. Long is nowhere near the price tag in my opinion...but that isn't what this thread is about. Also, how would u know what Westbrooks has? He doesn't see the field enough to get a good look. I don't understand how you came to the conclusion.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't care that he is around the ball. I want him to make some plays. Long is nowhere near the price tag in my opinion...but that isn't what this thread is about. Also, how would u know what Westbrooks has? He doesn't see the field enough to get a good look. I don't understand how you came to the conclusion.
The last "Play Count" I read Westbrooks was in on 23% of the Plays. and I was watching him while he was in their. That's enough for me to form an opinion, and compare him to Long and Hayes!

lockdnram21

Legend
i want to see Quick if hes healthy. I want to see more Bailey to.

on defense i want to see less JL 55 the dude is the weekest link on defense

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Quick is healthy he needs to be in the lineup, make whatever adjustment needs to be made on ST and get him in the lineup.

That's just crazy talk. You HAVE to choose a backup long snapper over Quick. There just aren't enough spots to go around for Quick right now.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

If it makes you feel any better, PFF has Chris Long as a top 10 DE.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It doesn't...

DenverRam

Starter
Also that Navy guy the rams had in preseason. Wanted to see what he could do in a game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Before this goes any further...don't be "that guy" that has to whine and pee pee acting bent out of shape like we are talking bad. This is not about dissing a player, it's about a realistic assessment of who isn't getting a shot that probably should.

And @Rainram I'm gonna need you to explain the Long being our best LDE...I love the guy, but have seen no proof. I see much more out of Hayes.
How does sitting Long for a street wide receiver improve this team in any appreciable way? Long may not be a "splash" player, but watch what he does on his side a little more closely. He's part of the reason why very few runs to that side of the field are successful, and a major influence on how many sacks other guys get.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I never said to sit him for Toon...Toon is worthless to this team. It just had me thinking who to sit. And yes, his sack production does matter. When a guy is getting 12m a year. He better get some fucking sacks. also, I very clearly said that I didn't want to turn this into a player bashing thread; and yet people want to be apologist and make me defend sitting him. I didn't question someone for saying bench JL for the unproven rookie who has yet to do jack shit in this league. But god forbid I say sit Long...lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I never said to sit him for Toon...Toon is worthless to this team. It just had me thinking who to sit. And yes, his sack production does matter. When a guy is getting 12m a year. He better get some freaking sacks. also, I very clearly said that I didn't want to turn this into a player bashing thread; and yet people want to be apologist and make me defend sitting him. I didn't question someone for saying bench JL for the unproven rookie who has yet to do jack crap in this league. But god forbid I say sit Long...lol
Take it easy. I'm not bashing you. I'm just trying to figure out why you said we should bench Long to give one of his backups a shot. You mentioned Toon specifically, so maybe I misunderstood what you meant. You're saying you want to bench Long for Hayes, but what does that have to do with Toon? If nothing, then I'm still not a fan of replacing Long with Hayes. Hayes isn't an every down player, so are you suggesting we just sit Long and rotate he and Westbrooks in as starters instead?

Why?

Long is simply put, better than both of them. And what does his contract have to do with anything? How will sitting him on the bench give the Rams any increased financial advantage? At least when he's in there he's earning the money, right?

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm spoke of Toon because I think bringing him in May have been meant as a wake up call to the other WRs not names Britt.

With Long, for me, the hardest thing is justifying his pay. I would rather use a rotation of Hayes, Sims and Westbrooks whom together make probably half of what Long does...But that was not my reasoning. Maybe I should have explained better to begin with. I think Long needs a wake up call. I've never questioned his effort or his run defense. But for that money, I would expect 10+ sacks. You don't have to get 18 like Quinn but give me 10. He hasn't looked the same to me. I think he could use a kick in the ass, he, to me, seems like the kind of guy that would respond to that. And I don't mean sit him on the bench either. I think simply starting Hayes or Westbrooks over him may do the trick.