Who should get a shot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
with the signing of Toon, it got me thinking...is there anyone on the team you would sit and give someone else a shot?

For me, I would sit Long. I think Westbrooks or Hayes would be an upgrade. I love Longs fire, but his leadership does not make up for the contract to output ratio for me.

Rainram

Starter
I don't decide whether or not to play people based on contracts. Right now...even though he is not the Chris Long of 5 years ago. He's still our best LDE.

To answer your question...

Anyone that can get separation and catch the damn ball. I guess Stedman.

SierraRam

Recreational User
As long as he's considered a 'healthy scratch', play Quick - Our best WR last year and downfield blocker too!

And sit Cook for Harkey. We need blockers

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Before this goes any further...don't be "that guy" that has to whine and piss acting bent out of shape like we are talking bad. This is not about dissing a player, it's about a realistic assessment of who isn't getting a shot that probably should.

And @Rainram I'm gonna need you to explain the Long being our best LDE...I love the guy, but have seen no proof. I see much more out of Hayes.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Definitely Harkey. Let him play inline. He's shown good hands, great blocking, and deceptive athleticism. He's not Cook as a receiver but he's more reliable and a massive upgrade at blocking. I think he deserves a shot.

Athos

Legend
Definitely Harkey. Let him play inline. He's shown good hands, great blocking, and deceptive athleticism. He's not Cook as a receiver but he's more reliable and a massive upgrade at blocking. I think he deserves a shot.

This. At this point, I'd take the negative of his pass-catching ability for a guy who can block worth a damn and open up some running lanes.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Agreed.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Has anyone else noticed Long lining up on the right side here and there? I've seen a half dozen snaps where he is our RDE.

Never noticed in years past.

Anyway - I'd like to see a lot more of Gurley and Tavon w the ball in their hands. A lot more.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Has anyone else noticed Long lining up on the right side here and there? I've seen a half dozen snaps where he is our RDE.

Anyway - I'd like to see a lot more of Gurley and Tavon w the ball in their hands. A lot more.

Probably because of the Sims injury?

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I agree with Harkey and Quick, Harkey should be a TE, his talents are wasted as a FB, he's just a better football player than Kendricks or Cook. If Quick is healthy he needs to be in the lineup, make whatever adjustment needs to be made on ST and get him in the lineup. Also, get more players involved, spread the ball around. Bailey isn't even being targeted, give him some chances. Givens had a great preseason and now he's invisible. I would like to see Foles completing passes to 8 or 9 different guys not just 3 or 4.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Before this goes any further...don't be "that guy" that has to whine and pee pee acting bent out of shape like we are talking bad. This is not about dissing a player, it's about a realistic assessment of who isn't getting a shot that probably should.

And @Rainram I'm gonna need you to explain the Long being our best LDE...I love the guy, but have seen no proof. I see much more out of Hayes.

I haven't seen much out of Hayes. Maybe I've missed it. I've went back to broadcast tv and stream everything else. Tired of paying for cable or satellite. But it does lose out on the replays.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hayes hasn't done that much, but I've seen him around the play. Chris Long is disappearing to me. Maybe I'm wrong

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

100% how I feel. Tavon has done well when he's gotten the ball this year.
Really want to see what Gurley can do.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Hayes hasn't done that much, but I've seen him around the play. Chris Long is disappearing to me. Maybe I'm wrong

I think it's the Aaron Donald effect. Even Quinn looks ordinary around him. I know Long has had some QB pressures and I've seen him, Hayes, and Westbrook around the ball, but right now the splash plays on DL are almost all Donald and Quinn. I don't think that's a sign of bad play from Hayes or Long, just really dominate play on the other side.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sted, and Hark on offense, if Quick isn't ready. Maybe, someone else calling plays.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Quick....More Ayers at LB on 3rd down....How about we give press man coverage a shot? More Mark Barron....Lets get to top 3 defense and give Cig a shot to get comfortable calling plays. More passes to Cook & Tavon too...Yes, I said Cook....And still have faith in Kendricks...It's only one game...Givens...maybe a lil Sted, just a lil....Gurley...Hell, just get the fucking ball back defense...The way we allow 3rd down conversions....Give Ogletree a shot to call the defense and play in the middle...put Ayers right next to him...How's that?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah man, I'll jump on that Harkey bandwagon. I'd like to see some more of him and the nice thing about him is when he lines up to block dudes aren't worrying about him going into the pattern, they're worried about him putting them on their butts. Which is why guys like him get open when they are used for a first down. And worst case scenario he'll drop the ball, but we already get that from Kendricks and Cook so whatever.

Also Bailey. But most on this board have been clamoring for him for so long it's almost not worth saying. I mean if I am Foles and Bailey's my third read on third and 5 play design be damned I'm gonna check him first because the dude flat out catches the ball in traffic, with guys on him, behind him, low, up top, etc., etc., etc. How can Foles and Cigs not see that?

Lastly Gurley. They need to quit effin around and install him as the starter. If the guy is healthy, which I presume he is, he needs to touch the ball. Quit with the touchy-feely "well we have four good backs" BS. You drafted the dude high for a reason. He is heads and shoulders over the rest of those guys in talent. Give him the ball. Then give it to him again and again and again on your run plays. Then run some screens and draws with him FFS.

fearsomefr

UDFA
Name
JP
Hayes led the team in QB pressures vs Seattle with 5 or something absurd like that. No idea since then.

fearsomefr

UDFA
Name
JP
Gurley and Austin on the field together. Austin is still not being utilized.
The question after that is who are the other three "skill" guys? A blocking set with Kendricks, Harkey and say Quick....you could go double TE and one back with Quick and Austin out wide. You go line Gurley and Austin up in the back field and spread the TEs out or keep them in. You could keep Harkey in the backfield with Gurley and go one TE on the line and two WRs. Or even go full house with both TEs and Gurley. It seems messing with formations and alignments with those two explosive guys on the field could create some interesting possibilities.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I go back to man blocking running schemes, and let Harkey blow up linebackers for Gurley. Get Gurley to the second level and he's a monster. Also love Harkey's hands when he leaks out of the backfield.