Who do you want as our next coach?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
My top guy is Haley, with the assumption hes not a huge dick anymore. Ive heard hes gotten a lot better since being in PIT but who knows. After that I like Shanahan, and Schwartz. One guy I would hate to have that everyone seems to love is Shaw. He is wayyyyyyy too conservative and really doesnt have an innovative offense which is pretty off-putting for a guy with an offensive background.

edit: Cooter is another guy im not really sure of. seems like more hype than anything. People had big expectations of him coming into the season but that offense really isnt that great even with a lot of weapons, plus hes young and inexperienced. He may end up being great but not really a risk I see worth taking for a team looking to finally turn the corner

I like Haley a lot, and he's not the only coach that flamed out on his first try. A guy in NE comes to mind. I'm weary of having an younger, inexperienced coach because of our lack of discipline, but his offense is fresh and exciting. Goff may thrive.

Side note: Like HOF baseball great Joe Morgan, Marshall Faulk was always hailed as the smartest player on the field. Neither got a chance to use their intelligence as a coach. Why..?
it'd be great to get Bill Cowher as HC or even Tony Dungy

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My top guy is Haley, with the assumption hes not a huge dick anymore. Ive heard hes gotten a lot better since being in PIT but who knows. After that I like Shanahan, and Schwartz. One guy I would hate to have that everyone seems to love is Shaw. He is wayyyyyyy too conservative and really doesnt have an innovative offense which is pretty off-putting for a guy with an offensive background.

edit: Cooter is another guy im not really sure of. seems like more hype than anything. People had big expectations of him coming into the season but that offense really isnt that great even with a lot of weapons, plus hes young and inexperienced. He may end up being great but not really a risk I see worth taking for a team looking to finally turn the corner

I'd say his offense is pretty innovative. When Luck was there, they ran a traditional WCO with great success. They were a pass-first team. When Luck left, they pivoted to more of a spread offense-WCO hybrid with a power running element to make best use of Hogan being an athletic QB with only average passing ability. They've now started to pivot more and more to a ground and pound based attack to make up for their current QB situation.

Yes, he runs a WCO base. That's not innovative. But he adapts to his personnel and evolves the offense based on what they have. He has an identity and a philosophy, but he's also flexible. During his tenure, they've been an unstoppable ground and pound attack or a high-flying passing attack.

He is a very conservative game manager. But so are other good coaches.

Frankly, the fact that he runs everything from a WCO base makes me believe he can successfully adapt to the NFL. Here's an interesting article on Shaw's approach:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/17/stanford-cardinal-peter-king

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm torn. I want offense but don't want the defense to fall apart. If someone came in and kept Williams and Wauffle, maybe it would work. I don't know which of them would be most likely to do that. Maybe Shanahan or Schwartz.

I don't want Haley, or any thirty year olds. This team has a discipline problem and a leadership problem. I don't think a young guy fighting for respect would help. Haley didn't have anyone's respect in KC.

I am not high on Shaw. I don't see a lot of difference with he and Fisher.

I don't want any old school guys either. No more 1980's football.

FRO

Legend
If you can get Shaw, do it. If not take the risk on Shanahan. He is a perfect fit for both Goff and Gurley.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I don't get the feeling from Fisher that he demands excellence or calls out players in front of everyone. He seems like the type that will call you into the office to talk about it. That is what a players coach is. But that is not what gets results. The defense plays well and Williams chews guys out. Coincidence? I don't think so. Boras doesn't strike me as the type of guy that would chew someone out. Boudreau doesn't come across as that type either. If they aren't that type then Fisher has to be.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Charlie Casserly just said on GMF that he did a study a few years ago. When a team changes their coaching regime, the ones that go from failing to success in 3 years are the ones that had retained at least 12 starters from the time they took over. Do the Rams have 12 players on the roster that a new coach would retain? I think you could say the entire defense, plus Gurley, Goff, Bennie, Havenstien, Britt at minimum. So they have the players, but it could still take them three years to make the playoffs.

So, do we expect it to take Fisher another 2-3 years? Does he enough of those players on offense? Or doesn't it matter how many good players he has?

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Saban was talking secretly with the Giants last year. Perhaps thats the move. Shaw or Meyers are also a good choice from the college ranks. I also would kick the tires on guys like Gruden, Cohwer and Coughlin.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First, I think everyone needs to be prepared for another year of Fisher. I think the way he has played his hand with Goff, he will buy himself another year.
That said, *if* they replace him, Todd Haley is on the top of my short list
Dude inherited a 2-14 KC Chiefs team and had them 10-6 and in the playoffs in his 2nd season. If that's failure, I don't know how to describe Fisher's tenure....
No college coach thrills me, especially Shaw
Jim Bob Cooter has a great name, but the offense in Detroit was better with Linehan and I don't want him back either...
Shanny would work as well

And for those that bring up Tom Coughlin, you have to understand that he is not the hard nosed disciplinarian that he was during his career. A large reason why the Giants got soft is because Coughlin got soft. He became a players coach and has allowed complete nonsense to go on. We think Fisher lets his guys get away with crap? Coughlin has been kissing up to OBJ week in and out. He's way past his prime

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I am in the camp that believes that an NFL coach needs to be a leader and a manager of the team, kind of a rudder who steers the team in the right direction. He should have OC, DC and ST coaches that he trusts to run their squads, their way, with direction provided by the HC when needed. I think Garrett, Vermeil and Belichick fit in this category.

We don't need a HC who comes in and installs HIS offense and defense and forces a coordinator to run something that he is not completely familiar with and may not truly believe in.

Not sure which of the Coaching candidates listed fit into that category, maybe Cowher, Brian Billick. I don't see these qualities in many of the young guys. The last thing we need is another arrogant and stubborn, set in his ways HC like Fisher. (never liked the hire)

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
First, I think everyone needs to be prepared for another year of Fisher. I think the way he has played his hand with Goff, he will buy himself another year.

I think you're right here. It was all planned, not for team success but for another contract for himself.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
First person I would talk to is Greg Williams.

He has done a fine job with the defense and has HC'ing experience.

If he would bring in Martz, or another proven OC/Qb coach(s), he has the job.

"Promote" Fisher to some ceremonial and inconsequential position in the organization.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere

"Promote" Fisher to some ceremonial and inconsequential position in the organization.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is not a thread to rip Fisher in. We have enough of those already.
This is a great thread. Sorry, but by insinuating the need to find a new HC, you are indirectly ripping Fish...It's ok, he's a big boy, he can take it. Besides, if he doesn't know who the hell to hire for the job of telling him when to challenge a call...doesn't know the effin catch rules...who's up there anyway, Fish's kids???? Just on the replay stuff alone he should be under the hot seat.
Let's get started, number one choice, Harbaugh...Sorry..He did it fast, has a beef with those effin 9ers & Seahawks, has a fullback driven run game...Ex QB....Defensive minded still...probably only get 4 years outta him..But I'd expect a SB appearance in that time.
McCarthy...seriously, wouldn't mind either of these first two guys. We need to keep Williams with this guy.
Harmon (U of Houston), Shaw (Stanford), Saban (Bama), we either get prior experience in the NFL or one of the top college coaches...We have a young team, we need fresh ideas, plus these guys demand respect. I'd expect most of the team to stay together and our next 2 drafts to take us over the top...
LIke a bunch of Jrry's choices...not sure if I'd just ex the old guys out. Coughlin, Gruden, and maybe Lovie..yeah, I said Lovie Smith...we still owe him...Martz too...but these guys have got it done...and will instantly demand respect.

Sean McVay would be really exciting hire
Anthony Lynn would be a genius hire

We need youth
Had to look these guys up...
Sean McVay
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/02/...oordinator-head-coach-kirk-cousins-jay-gruden

Anthony Lynn
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/10/nfl-week-5-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-rams-rex-ryan-anthony-lynn

After reading a little, not sure if Lynn is ready yet...

excellent work here Dieter

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend

I don't want Williams as a head coach. It takes away from what he does well with the group of players he put together. Plan and play defense. He will not be able to be focused solely on D as a head coach.
Problem is it is going to be hard to can Fishet and keep the D staff in place. A new coach is going to want his guys running a scheme he wants.
Ideally to me is Fisher stays and gets the Vermeil ultimatum. He has nothin to do with the O and a competent OC and staff is hired.
That take strong an involve ownership. Don't know if Stan is capable of that.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is a great thread. Sorry, but by insinuating the need to find a new HC, you are indirectly ripping Fish...It's ok, he's a big boy, he can take it. Besides, if he doesn't know who the hell to hire for the job of telling him when to challenge a call...doesn't know the effin catch rules...who's up there anyway, Fish's kids???? Just on the replay stuff alone he should be under the hot seat.
Let's get started, number one choice, Harbaugh...Sorry..He did it fast, has a beef with those effin 9ers & Seahawks, has a fullback driven run game...Ex QB....Defensive minded still...probably only get 4 years outta him..But I'd expect a SB appearance in that time.
McCarthy...seriously, wouldn't mind either of these first two guys. We need to keep Williams with this guy.
Harmon (U of Houston), Shaw (Stanford), Saban (Bama), we either get prior experience in the NFL or one of the top college coaches...We have a young team, we need fresh ideas, plus these guys demand respect. I'd expect most of the team to stay together and our next 2 drafts to take us over the top...
LIke a bunch of Jrry's choices...not sure if I'd just ex the old guys out. Coughlin, Gruden, and maybe Lovie..yeah, I said Lovie Smith...we still owe him...Martz too...but these guys have got it done...and will instantly demand respect.
Do you really think many hires are going to sign up if they are being told who their DC is?
This has conflict and power strife written all over it and is not likely to happen.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Do you really think many hires are going to sign up if they are being told who their DC is?
This has conflict and power strife written all over it and is not likely to happen.
Only McCarthy....If GB had Williams, they'd have a couple more SB appearances.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
5. Kyle Shanahan OC Atlanta Falcons
Pros
  • Long track record of success in a lot of different situations
  • Modern offense that would work well with the pieces we have
  • Should have the sufficient connections to create a great staff
Cons
  • A lot of rumors floating around that players don't like him
  • No HC experience
  • Young (36 years old)
My Outlook
  • If it were strictly Xs and Os, Shanahan would be #1 on my list because I think his scheme perfectly fits our offense. He's a brilliant coordinator. However, I'd avoid hiring him if the rumors are true. The rumors are that he's very arrogant and rubs players the wrong way. This led to players in Washington not liking him and players in Atlanta currently do not like him. I wouldn't want to take a chance on a coach who is not liked by players.
Kyle would have been my choice. BUT I didn't know about Players not liking him! You have to have a HC the Players want to play for!! So I'll go for one not Listed .... Jon Gruden!!