When all is said and done who will be the Rams #1 pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrankenRam

Starter
And @Boffo97, I apologize if this seems like an attack. It's not meant to be that. I just take issue with the "ideal world" arguments.

The claim that we should draft Cooper or White because you can find RTs, Cs, and RGs later in the draft just seems so flawed every time I hear it...and every year I hear it. You can find WRs later in the draft too. The best WR in the NFL last year was a 6th round pick. You can find capable players at any position later in the draft. Issue is that the longer you wait, the less your chances are that you'll ACTUALLY find that player.

When our season rests on our QB staying healthy, I think it's a terrible plan to try and rely on free agents and mid round picks. We've tried that and it failed. Lets fix the damn line. Because we've been looking for years in free agency and the mid to late rounds to no avail.

I don't care if Boudreau is supposed to be a great coach. It's not about whether or not a "great coach" needs 5 1st/2nd round picks on his OL. It's about creating a great unit. If it takes 5 1st/2nd round picks, then so be it......

I'm a little surprised you take that position. I understand that the approach hasn't worked all that well in Fisher's tenure as coach, but that doesn't mean the plan itself is flawed. It just means the individual players haven't worked out (nearly) as well as one might have hoped.

Unfortunately, there just is no guaranteed 'fix the line' approach. You could use first/second round picks on all 5 positions, and who's to say one of them wouldn't turn out to be injury prone from the get-go, and another might be Jason Smith redux.

It wasn't that many yr ago, many fans were saying 'Don't draft another DL in the first round...the Rams don't do well with them' (or words pretty close to that). And if the front office had followed that thinking, they'd have never drafted Quinn or Donald.

FrankenRam

Starter
That's not a caveat, that's what best value means lol. ;)

Not necessarily BPA at a position of need because that would rule out a DL altogether, but BPA with need taken into account. If it's only a slight difference in talent level you go with the bigger need, but if it's a big difference you go with the lesser need because you draft for the long term not the immediate future.
Ok, then we agree. I just wasn't sure how you were defining 'value'. To some, the only 'value' position is OL this year.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Ok, then we agree. I just wasn't sure how you were defining 'value'. To some, the only 'value' position is OL this year.
To that point a lot of fans seem to think the rams should only draft linemen and a qb. The best approach is to just take the best player with each pick.

Athos

Legend
The best WR in the NFL last year was a 6th round pick.

Not really disagreeing, but what is the success rate of finding a top 5 positional player at any position in the 5th round or later? Not much I don't think, unless you hit pay dirt.

I'll feel better when/if Britt re-signs. But Quick still worries me as I wonder if he'll still be as physically imposing with that spaghetti shoulder.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really disagreeing, but what is the success rate of finding a top 5 positional player at any position in the 5th round or later? Not much I don't think, unless you hit pay dirt.

I'll feel better when/if Britt re-signs. But Quick still worries me as I wonder if he'll still be as physically imposing with that spaghetti shoulder.

That's the point.

People will always be able to point to examples like that to provide "evidence" that you shouldn't draft that position highly when the reality is that your chances of being the team that finds that guy are slim to none.

Finding E.J. Gaines where we did was EXTREMELY lucky. Yes, there was skill in evaluating the guy but it was also just plain lucky that he fell 3 rounds further than most expected and panned out the way he has.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a little surprised you take that position. I understand that the approach hasn't worked all that well in Fisher's tenure as coach, but that doesn't mean the plan itself is flawed. It just means the individual players haven't worked out (nearly) as well as one might have hoped.

It absolutely means the plan is flawed. Hoping you get lucky and hit on a OL later in the draft because you're devaluing them is a FLAWED plan. But Fisher and Co. seemed to realize that last year when they tried to get both Robinson and Martin in the first round.

Every year, our sucky OL hinders our offense. So the idea that every off-season, people devalue OLs in the draft just seems so crazy to me. It's like people forget what happened.

You can bet on trying to hit on an OL in the 2nd or the 3rd or the 4th or even later...but your odds of hitting on them decrease the longer you wait. Which is why the smart money is to attack it early and often...especially this year where the value will line up with the need.

That all said, as I said before, I'm taking Amari Cooper at #10 if he's there unless a team offers us a RGIII trade for him. Because I think the world of that kid.

Unfortunately, there just is no guaranteed 'fix the line' approach. You could use first/second round picks on all 5 positions, and who's to say one of them wouldn't turn out to be injury prone from the get-go, and another might be Jason Smith redux.

Guaranteed? No. But over the last 10 years, there have been 19 interior OLs drafted in the first round. Of those 19, I see only two players that I would call busts...Jonathan Cooper(might be able to get his career back on track) and Danny Watkins. I see another two that I would call disappointments...James Carpenter and Charles Spencer. That leaves you with the following 15 players:
1. Zack Martin
2. Chance Warmack
3. Kyle Long
4. Travis Frederick
5. David DeCastro
6. Kevin Zeitler
7. Mike Pouncey
8. Mike Iupati
9. Maurkice Pouncey
10. Alex Mack
11. Eric Wood
12. Ben Grubbs
13. Davin Joseph(in his prime, he was quite good)
14. Nick Mangold
15. Logan Mankins

So while it is not guaranteed, based on past history, your percent chance of hitting on the pick are at close to 80%.

I think this approach is as close to guaranteed as you're going to get. Now, as I said before, there's gotta be an OL worth taking and I have to rank him as the BVA. But I doubt that's a problem this year. And as I also said before, this year is a great year because we can likely move back and pick up more picks and still come away with a very talented OL if we want to.

It wasn't that many yr ago, many fans were saying 'Don't draft another DL in the first round...the Rams don't do well with them' (or words pretty close to that). And if the front office had followed that thinking, they'd have never drafted Quinn or Donald.

So you're supporting my argument then? Because that's exactly what I'm arguing against. The people saying, "Don't draft an OL in the first round unless they're a LT."

If that is aimed at my argument that waiting is a flawed approach, it's ineffective because in that case, people are arguing that we SHOULD WAIT and you're saying that we made the right move by not waiting. We made the right move by spending high picks and attacking the problem head on. That's what I want. ;)

Its much harder to find a skill position player later in the draft than a lineman. And the best wr in last years draft was taken at 12 overall. Imho Cooper is a very similar player to Beckham. I know that linemen are a very large need but reaching for need over a higher rated player is what gets teams in trouble. In my mind Cooper and White are higher rated than any of the linemen in this draft.

Is it really? Or is that simply just what people tell themselves?

Yes, the best WR in last year's draft was taken at #12 overall. But here are some WRs outside the first round that were productive:
Jordan Matthews (2nd) - 67 catches, 876 yards, and 8 TDs
Jarvis Landry (2nd) - 84 catches, 755 yards, and 5 TDs
John Brown (3rd) - 48 catches, 696 yards, and 5 TDs
Allen Hurns (UDFA) - 51 catches, 677 yards, and 6 TDs
Taylor Gabriel (UDFA) - 38 catches, 633 yards, and 1 TD

Last year, 21 WRs had 1000+ yards receiving...here's where they were picked:
1st - 10
2nd - 6
3rd - 4
6th - 1

We can stop with the "reach" claim. I'm not advocating reaching. But you're also not advocating not reaching. Your reasoning wasn't, "Cooper and White are the two best players available so we should pick them." It was:
I have a hard time drafting a guard or rt at 10 you can get really good guards and right tackles in the second, third, fourth rounds. The top ten is for left tackles. It just doesnt seem like a good value...

Well, there were as many 1000+ yard WRs drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round as there were in the 1st round last year. So wouldn't it be bad value to draft a WR in the 1st round when we can just get a 1000+ yard WR in the 2nd or 3rd?

No? I agree. But your reasoning against OLs would indicate otherwise.

If White and Cooper are simply higher rated, that's fine. But I just don't like the logic being used against OLs(devaluing them) when every year, we lament the fact that our OL sucks and it significantly hinders our offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To that point a lot of fans seem to think the rams should only draft linemen and a qb. The best approach is to just take the best player with each pick.

Well, I disagree with that as well. As I said before, I think the best approach is value.

What happens if the best player at each pick is a DT? Are we going to draft solely DTs? I don't think you or I would advocate that. Best to have a more flexible approach...which I think value is.

Athos

Legend
It absolutely means the plan is flawed. Hoping you get lucky and hit on a OL later in the draft because you're devaluing them is a FLAWED plan. But Fisher and Co. seemed to realize that last year when they tried to get both Robinson and Martin in the first round.

Snisher and shitty Spags/Devaney have both proven to be pretty terrible at finding FA offensive lineman. There's really nothing more to be explored other than an established swing OT/OG or a Center. Gotta build the line in the draft at this point.

As for our 1st pick. I'm going to be pissed no matter what if it is a defensive pick. Royally and epically pissed.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Snisher and crappy Spags/Devaney have both proven to be pretty terrible at finding FA offensive lineman. There's really nothing more to be explored other than an established swing OT/OG or a Center. Gotta build the line in the draft at this point.

As for our 1st pick. I'm going to be pissed no matter what if it is a defensive pick. Royally and epically pissed.
Yes I agree there id much much much rather draft oline than defense, the first round better be an offensive pick no.matter what.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
@jrry32 I appreciate your opinion on the draft and it makes sense. I guess I just get tired of so many people wanting to just draft oline no matter if there are better players available. Oline has been a problem for many years and im of the opinion that college tackles make great guards.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 I appreciate your opinion on the draft and it makes sense. I guess I just get tired of so many people wanting to just draft oline no matter if there are better players available. Oline has been a problem for many years and im of the opinion that college tackles make great guards.

Some certainly do. Depends on the player.

FrankenRam

Starter

Disagree. The plan was to find the necessary OL starters via FA, and find developmental guys via the draft. And that was necessary because there were so many holes at just about every position.

The plan wasn't flawed. The FA signings haven't worked out and the developmental guys haven't...thus far.

You can bet on trying to hit on an OL in the 2nd or the 3rd or the 4th or even later...but your odds of hitting on them decrease the longer you wait. Which is why the smart money is to attack it early and often...especially this year where the value will line up with the need

So while it is not guaranteed, based on past history, your percent chance of hitting on the pick are at close to 80%.

Is there a position for which that isn't true?

And keep in mind....I'm not remotely against drafting an OL (be it C, G, or T) IF that's where BVA lies. I just don't want to see the Rams reach for an OL just because 'our line's a mess'.

Quite frankly, I've never understood the whole 'you don't take an OC (or OG, or LB, or whatever) early in the draft'. IMO, you always take BVA...regardless of position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree. The plan was to find the necessary OL starters via FA, and find developmental guys via the draft. And that was necessary because there were so many holes at just about every position.

The plan wasn't flawed. The FA signings haven't worked out and the developmental guys haven't...thus far.

The plan failed in dramatic fashion. I think it's pretty realistic to call it flawed. Now, I can understand where it is both NECESSARY and FLAWED. And I can agree with that to an extent.

Is there a position for which that isn't true?

No. But there are positions that are less of a guarantee in the first round.

And keep in mind....I'm not remotely against drafting an OL (be it C, G, or T) IF that's where BVA lies. I just don't want to see the Rams reach for an OL just because 'our line's a mess'.

Quite frankly, I've never understood the whole 'you don't take an OC (or OG, or LB, or whatever) early in the draft'. IMO, you always take BVA...regardless of position.

Seems we're on the same wavelength here. I totally agree.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Snisher and crappy Spags/Devaney have both proven to be pretty terrible at finding FA offensive lineman. There's really nothing more to be explored other than an established swing OT/OG or a Center. Gotta build the line in the draft at this point.

Yes I agree there id much much much rather draft oline than defense, the first round better be an offensive pick no.matter what.

Yes, it looks like most of our needs are on the O side of the ball but we also need another LB and how do you pass on a Shaq Thompson if you trade down in the 1st and he is still there at say 20? It's back to BPA or BVA isn't it?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
REALITY - Andrus Peat, T.J. Clemmings, or La'el Collins.
You may be on to something here, I'm leaning toward Collins, because of his versatility, he plays both OT and OG! I also Like Cameron Erving, for the same reason, he plays OG and OC!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Never quite understood the logic behind the seemingly consensus that interior O linemen need to be drafted out side of the top 10, you get a shot for the next Larry Allen you take it regardless.

That 2012 thread should open some eyes, out of the first 10 players 2 homeruns, 3 utter busts the other five we'll see... the "experts" however thought they were "right" picks.

Who really knows how to define BPA/V with these kids?

Look what a couple of picks have done for the Cowboys, anyone here really believe Frederick was was BPA/V a couple years back sitting at 29, I remember Kiper & Crew shaking their heads, the way that draft has turned out he should have been picked in the top 5.

They way I see it, when you have a glaring need to fill sitting at pick 10, you better fill it, history to me has indicated BPA is extremely flawed.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2013&round=round1#round1

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I want us to go OL as often as possible early on. We seriously need to build that O-line if we are really going to go anywhere. But I still would like us to go after a QB in either round 2 or 3. I just think there is a QB out there among this crop that the scouts know about but we really don't see coming or maybe one of the QBs that we are all sorta meh on is actually a good developmental guy. To me, we need to do two things in order to get to that next level. OL is priority #1 because they can make a serviceable QB look pretty decent. QB is priority 1b as we need to not be totally screwed if Sam goes down. But with a nasty O-line, maybe just a decent QB works. It sure seems we have enough play makers. Now we just have to get them the ball in the right situations and give them time to beat the defense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Never quite understood the logic behind the seemingly consensus that interior O linemen need to be drafted out side of the top 10, you get a shot for the next Larry Allen you take it regardless.
I just think that is an old way of looking at the draft. You still don't draft certain positions in the first but a player that is on the field a lot and can make an impact? You take him if he's there.

We used to see several RBs taken in the first round. Not so much anymore. You need to protect that QB by giving him time in a fairly clean pocket and a running game that keeps the defense at least honest. If a stud Guard is there - take him.

ausmurp

Starter
If they draft another WR instead of Oline it will tell me that they either don't want to win or they don't care as long as the uninformed fan keeps coming to games to watch them lose.

This seems a bit immature to me. A lot of good OGs come from the second round and after. This team still needs a playmaking WR who can consistently get over 1000 yards, need you be reminded...and of course there is a good chance we sign a OG in FA.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I just think that is an old way of looking at the draft. You still don't draft certain positions in the first but a player that is on the field a lot and can make an impact? You take him if he's there.

We used to see several RBs taken in the first round. Not so much anymore. You need to protect that QB by giving him time in a fairly clean pocket and a running game that keeps the defense at least honest. If a stud Guard is there - take him.

The only position I wouldn't draft in the top 10 would be a kicker or punter, I guess my point is after viewing draft results 2 or 3 years later you never can be sure, to me that's why drafting for need is not necessarily as bad as the vast majority makes it to be.

Drafting a Zack Martin or even a RB (like a #39) that gives you a brilliant career can never be deemed a bad choice regardless of draft position...thru my eyes at least