When all is said and done who will be the Rams #1 pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Adequate free agent linemen get highly over paid. I look at what made the 49ers great during their run with Harbaugh. They could run it down the opponents throats. 3 first round picks on their line. Look at Dallas and their three first round picks. It doesn't look like the QB spot can really be upgraded, so might as well stock up on the best offensive linemen we can get. I don't care what position he plays, as long as he is good. I would gladly take Steve Hutchinson over Fred Miller. Miller was a solid player, played OT the sexier position. Hutch was much more dominant although he was just an OG. I wouldn't get caught up with position too much. I want the best linemen I can draft.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
They will go QB in the 1st round. A few weeks ago, Mariotta and Winston were going #1 and #2. Now, Winston is the consensus #1 and Kiper has Mariotta going #6. We still have over 2 and a half months until the draft. Pro days and the combine will completely shuffle the order of these guys. And looking at the Rams' roster, QB is the biggest, most glaring hole.

In case you don't believe me, here's a look back at where Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater were predicted to go, last February.
http://www.phillyvoice.com/experts-projected-geno-smith-manziel-bridgewater/

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
They will go QB in the 1st round. A few weeks ago, Mariotta and Winston were going #1 and #2. Now, Winston is the consensus #1 and Kiper has Mariotta going #6. We still have over 2 and a half months until the draft. Pro days and the combine will completely shuffle the order of these guys. And looking at the Rams' roster, QB is the biggest, most glaring hole.

In case you don't believe me, here's a look back at where Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater were predicted to go, last February.
http://www.phillyvoice.com/experts-projected-geno-smith-manziel-bridgewater/

So what you're saying is We can Mariotta or Winston in the second?! I'm all for it

I just think it works both ways, like with Bortles last year

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dream - Jameis Winston
Realistic Dream - Amari Cooper
Realistically - Brandon Scherff in a trade down

FrankenRam

Starter
They will go QB in the 1st round. A few weeks ago, Mariotta and Winston were going #1 and #2. Now, Winston is the consensus #1 and Kiper has Mariotta going #6. We still have over 2 and a half months until the draft. Pro days and the combine will completely shuffle the order of these guys. And looking at the Rams' roster, QB is the biggest, most glaring hole........

It's possible, but unlikely....unless either Winston or Mariotta fall to at least 6. To trade up 4 spots may not cause them to have to mortgage the farm. But I think trading down is a much more likely scenario this yr than up.

Projecting who, or even what position, will be drafted in the first round is kinda meaningless today. Once FA hits and we see what holes, if any, they fill there will make this exercise more interesting.

And even then, the only 'right' answer is....BPA.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's possible, but unlikely....unless either Winston or Mariotta fall to at least 6. To trade up 4 spots may not cause them to have to mortgage the farm. But I think trading down is a much more likely scenario this yr than up.

Projecting who, or even what position, will be drafted in the first round is kinda meaningless today. Once FA hits and we see what holes, if any, they fill there will make this exercise more interesting.

And even then, the only 'right' answer is....BPA.

No. The right answer is...BVA. :p

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
This. If he's BPA, go for it. But our great OL coach shouldn't require a line full of top 10 picks to make a good line.

I wonder if this should have been in blue!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I wonder if this should have been in blue!
Nope. Our line already has a Top 5 pick and a 2nd rounder (literally one pick away from the 1st round on it). If we really need to add another top 10 pick to it in order for it to be good, something's wrong.

We can and should get good people for C and RG in Free Agency and the Draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nope. Our line already has a Top 5 pick and a 2nd rounder (literally one pick away from the 1st round on it). If we really need to add another top 10 pick to it in order for it to be good, something's wrong.

We can and should get good people for C and RG in Free Agency and the Draft.

Well, this is one way to approach something. Go into complete denial.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
They have a good RT. You dislike him, but most seem to disagree with you.
A majority does not mean they are right and they are just as incorrect as you.
Seriously, you cannot tell me Barksdale was up to par in his pass protection.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I have a hard time drafting a guard or rt at 10
I thought I read that if Donald was not available at #13 the Rams were taking Martin. That's pretty darn close to #10 and would have been a great pick.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
A majority does not mean they are right and they are just as incorrect as you.
Seriously, you cannot tell me Barksdale was up to par in his pass protection.
He did suffer a bit from having the Joseph-Wells hole on his inside, but I would be very surprised if he's not back and starting next year. The Rams seem to have a high opinion of him.

Whether they're incorrect about that... well, we'll find out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, this is one way to approach something. Go into complete denial.

And @Boffo97, I apologize if this seems like an attack. It's not meant to be that. I just take issue with the "ideal world" arguments.

The claim that we should draft Cooper or White because you can find RTs, Cs, and RGs later in the draft just seems so flawed every time I hear it...and every year I hear it. You can find WRs later in the draft too. The best WR in the NFL last year was a 6th round pick. You can find capable players at any position later in the draft. Issue is that the longer you wait, the less your chances are that you'll ACTUALLY find that player.

When our season rests on our QB staying healthy, I think it's a terrible plan to try and rely on free agents and mid round picks. We've tried that and it failed. Lets fix the damn line. Because we've been looking for years in free agency and the mid to late rounds to no avail.

I don't care if Boudreau is supposed to be a great coach. It's not about whether or not a "great coach" needs 5 1st/2nd round picks on his OL. It's about creating a great unit. If it takes 5 1st/2nd round picks, then so be it.

That all said, if Amari Cooper is there at #10. I'm drafting him. Not because he's a WR. Not because he isn't an OG. But because the guy is an incredible player.

And, if I have the option to trade down if Cooper is not there and draft an OG later in the first round, I would. Not because I wouldn't take Scherff at #10 to play OG but because there are so many first round caliber OLs this year that we can move down 5-10 spots, still come away with an incredibly talented kid, and pick up another key pick.

But that all said, I just hate the logic being thrown around. Every year, people devalue the OLs before the draft. And then every year, all of us are pissed off when our team's OL is a mediocre to poor unit because it's so vital to our offense's success. And then people forget all about it and devalue the OLs all over again. How can players on an unit so vital to our team's success not be worth drafting highly? Because we POSSIBLY could luck into a quality interior OL in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. rounds? Seems like a bad plan to me.

I've always been of the opinion that you draft the BVA. This year, it seems that the BVA will likely be an OL for us. No reason to second guess that pick. And no reason to devalue every position but the LT position. Because I think I have to state the obvious that sacks and pressure affect the QB just as much from any other OL as they do the LT. And rushing yards and TDs count for just as much behind any other OL as they do the LT.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Zach Martin was available at 10 in this draft, I'd be hard pressed to pass on him.

Let's not forget that J Long may be back - and at guard, no less - possibly along with Barksdale. Makes our line needs look possibly very different. Can't make a choice that I'd be happy with until after combine and FA but...

... Scherff would be a nice pickup but I don't know at 10. Peat is tempting. So is Cooper. I think you go with BVA. Cooper would be hard to pass but I doubt he'll be there. So probably Peat which relegates Barksdale to swing tackle.

When it's all said and done, I'm betting that the Rams don't pick at 10 thought...

Last edited:

thehammer

Rookie
bpa at 10 will likely be a wr....just don't see the rams drafting at 10....

IMO rams want Winston and would settle for Mariota...beats me how they will get either

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
WET DREAM - Leonard Williams at #10.
DREAM - Amari Cooper or Kevin White at #10 or Marcus Mariota in a trade with the Titans.
REALITY - Andrus Peat, T.J. Clemmings, or La'el Collins.
NIGHTMARE FROM HELL - Brandon Scherff.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
The claim that we should draft Cooper or White because you can find RTs, Cs, and RGs later in the draft just seems so flawed every time I hear it...and every year I hear it. You can find WRs later in the draft too. The best WR in the NFL last year was a 6th round pick. You can find capable players at any position later in the draft. Issue is that the longer you wait, the less your chances are that you'll ACTUALLY find that player.
Its much harder to find a skill position player later in the draft than a lineman. And the best wr in last years draft was taken at 12 overall. Imho Cooper is a very similar player to Beckham. I know that linemen are a very large need but reaching for need over a higher rated player is what gets teams in trouble. In my mind Cooper and White are higher rated than any of the linemen in this draft.

FrankenRam

Starter
No. The right answer is...BVA. :p

I can go with that...with one caveat...

If you have the best DL suspect rated at 87 and the best OL suspect rated at 74 (using a 100pt scale), you still have to take the DL...IMO. And those numbers are just thrown out for discussion. The real point is that if a significant diff exists between the ratings of those 2 players at their respective positions, the best 'value' player should be the higher rated one.

jjab360

Legend
I can go with that...with one caveat...

If you have the best DL suspect rated at 87 and the best OL suspect rated at 74 (using a 100pt scale), you still have to take the DL...IMO. And those numbers are just thrown out for discussion. The real point is that if a significant diff exists between the ratings of those 2 players at their respective positions, the best 'value' player should be the higher rated one.
That's not a caveat, that's what best value means lol. ;)

Not necessarily BPA at a position of need because that would rule out a DL altogether, but BPA with need taken into account. If it's only a slight difference in talent level you go with the bigger need, but if it's a big difference you go with the lesser need because you draft for the long term not the immediate future.