What we can learn from Case Keenum's star turn and what's next

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So then that would have made Goff terrible last year. Because Case beat him in every single category throwing the ball last year. So, I could say Goff is a back up player that made it onto a good team this year. After all, the Rams are not the same team they were last year.
Case had 5 years NFL experience and one in the system.
Goff was a rookie.

You're being silly.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So then that would have made Goff terrible last year. Because Case beat him in every single category throwing the ball last year. So, I could say Goff is a back up player that made it onto a good team this year. After all, the Rams are not the same team they were last year.
Goff was terrible last year. But he’s still a significantly better qb than Keenum

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Goff was a a 1st round draft pick now that doesn’t make instantly a hall famer ... but goff is in his second season after pretty much being thrown to the wolves last .. come back when they hang up thief cleats and we can discuss who the better QB ...
Simply applying your logic to Goff. Fact is, both are playing on teams with good defenses. Which makes it easier for a QB to look good.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Watkins who just stepped up on his catch against the Saints.

Woods who is now injured. Copper Kupp.

Tavon who was signed to be the 1 WR only has 7 catches & P. Copper is the punt & kick returner.

New TE’s as well over Lance Kendrick.

BTW - I question if Goff is better than Case ?

Goff for sure has the most upside being only 22.
Jared does not extend plays as well.
So are you saying that since it's an entirely different offense that it's ridiculous to compare Case Keenum last year with Case Keenum this year?

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So are you saying that since it's an entirely different offense that it's ridiculous to compare Case Keenum last year with Case Keenum this year?

I compare him over all to Goff. Jared has been excellent this year. The Rams drafted him for the future.

Case is a winner. I say that because of a game he played against a tough Ravens team when he was with Houston.

He is tough. I put him on my fantasy team this week.He played well.

Jared is the man for The Rams.

What’s up with Dana

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins who just stepped up on his catch against the Saints.

Woods who is now injured. Copper Kupp.

Tavon who was signed to be the 1 WR only has 7 catches & P. Copper is the punt & kick returner.

New TE’s as well over Lance Kendrick.

BTW - I question if Goff is better than Case ?

Goff for sure has the most upside being only 22.
Jared does not extend plays as well.

There are people who question if the Earth is round, so I guess things could be worse.

All I really have to do is quote Tony Romo, "I don't remember a second-year QB doing as much at the line of scrimmage as Goff since maybe Peyton Manning." That should speak volumes.

As for extending plays, I disagree. People mistakenly believe that the only way to extend plays is to scramble. For a QB like Goff, he's ideally extending plays in the pocket. It's what Brady and Manning were magnificent at doing. Romo today highlighted Goff's feet, ability to move within the pocket, and ability to move without sacrificing his ability to get the ball out.

Goff is a pocket passer with a limitless ceiling. I threw out Peyton Manning as a guy he reminded me of before we drafted him. I said it would be unfair to expect any QB to be Peyton Manning, but seeing him in the NFL, that's still the QB whom I think is most comparable to Goff. Goff's mental acuity and instincts at 23 years old are amazing. The kid is still three to five years away from his prime.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I compare him over all to Goff. Jared has been excellent this year. The Rams drafted him for the future.

Case is a winner. I say that because of a game he played against a tough Ravens team when he was with Houston.

He is tough. I put him on my fantasy team this week.He played well.

Jared is the man for The Rams.

What’s up with Dana

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were winners (among many other things). Case Keenum is only a winner on a winning team. That doesn't make him a winner.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were winners (among many other things). Case Keenum is only a winner on a winning team. That doesn't make him a winner.
Yeah, okay. Point of fact. Brady has had a top 10 defense almost his entire career. Peyton Manning only won when he had a good defense. Rams defense last year gave up 24.6 points per game. This year so far 18.6. It's a lot easier for a a QB to win when the defense is doing it's job.

Most people would agree that Aaron Rodgers is a great QB. So, why haven't the Packers won more Super Bowls with him? Simple. The year they won the SB with Rodgers their defense was 2nd in points per game. Since then, their defense has been 19, 11, 24, 13, 12, 21, and 18th. Brady has won 5 Super Bowls. His defense during those years placed 6, 1, 2, 8, 1 in points per game during the year. Peyton Manning won 2 Super Bowl. With the Colts the defense was 23 in ppg during the year. But, during the playoffs they only gave up 16.2 ppg, including the 34 put up by the Pats in a shoot out. In Denver, when Manning won his defense was ranked 4th in ppg during the year. You look at any at just about any Super Bowl winner and almost exclusively you will find a top 10 defense in point per game. A top defense goes a long way to making QB's look good. If the Rams defense was giving up points like it did last year, we wouldn't be having this conversation because the Rams wouldn't be 8-3.

STLRam

UDFA
I actually can’t believe there’s a Vikings fan here trying to make the argument that Keenum is a better QB than Goff. Goff has superior stats in every single category in just his 2nd year after being coached by Jeff Fisher. Keenum is an average QB with Alex Smith level talent at best, and he’s not even to that point yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, okay. Point of fact. Brady has had a top 10 defense almost his entire career. Peyton Manning only won when he had a good defense. Rams defense last year gave up 24.6 points per game. This year so far 18.6. It's a lot easier for a a QB to win when the defense is doing it's job.

How many times did Peyton Manning's team miss the playoffs? How many times has Tom Brady's team missed the playoffs? Those guys are/were winners. They won no matter what they around them. Don't try and dispute that. You're not going to win that argument.

Most people would agree that Aaron Rodgers is a great QB. So, why haven't the Packers won more Super Bowls with him? Simple. The year they won the SB with Rodgers their defense was 2nd in points per game. Since then, their defense has been 19, 11, 24, 13, 12, 21, and 18th. Brady has won 5 Super Bowls. His defense during those years placed 6, 1, 2, 8, 1 in points per game during the year. Peyton Manning won 2 Super Bowl. With the Colts the defense was 23 in ppg during the year. But, during the playoffs they only gave up 16.2 ppg, including the 34 put up by the Pats in a shoot out. In Denver, when Manning won his defense was ranked 4th in ppg during the year. You look at any at just about any Super Bowl winner and almost exclusively you will find a top 10 defense in point per game. A top defense goes a long way to making QB's look good. If the Rams defense was giving up points like it did last year, we wouldn't be having this conversation because the Rams wouldn't be 8-3.

You're conflating winning with winning Super Bowls. Only one team can win a Super Bowl each year. You're not disputing my point. You're not even addressing it.

If the Rams defense had this Rams offense last year, they wouldn't have given up points like they did.

If you're trying to argue that Case Keenum is a better QB than Goff (or as good), please return to whatever Minnesota-based rock you've been living under. You're not going to get much support here.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many times did Peyton Manning's team miss the playoffs? How many times has Tom Brady's team missed the playoffs? Those guys are/were winners. They won no matter what they around them. Don't try and dispute that. You're not going to win that argument.

You're conflating winning with winning Super Bowls. Only one team can win a Super Bowl each year. You're not disputing my point. You're not even addressing it.

If the Rams defense had this Rams offense last year, they wouldn't have given up points like they did.

If you're trying to argue that Case Keenum is a better QB than Goff (or as good), please return to whatever Minnesota-based rock you've been living under. You're not going to get much support here.
Except maybe from soul surfer

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David

Okay. Let me make it clear as mud for you. A good QB can and will win games for his team. He can and will do it year in and year out. See, Rodgers and Manning. But, if you want to win the Super Bowl then you have to have a top defense. And a top Defense does not need a top QB to win it. Only a QB that doesn't make stupid mistakes. If Manning was so great why only 2 Super Bowls? Did you know that if the Pats defense holds the other team to 17 points or less Brady wins 96% of those games. But they only make up 122 of his 245 starts. But it's all Brady.......

One of these teams below will win the Super Bowl this year. While none of them currently are number 1 in Points per game they all have two things going for them. A good defense and a QB that doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Listed are the teams with defensive points per game. Don't let New England fool you. Their first 4 games they gave up 32 points per game. Since then, they are down to 12.5 points per game. Funny thing, if you listen to the talking heads about the Pats, all you hear is how Brady is back to his old self.

Code:
Philadelphia Eagles     17.4
Pittsburgh Steelers     17.5
Minnesota Vikings       17.7
Los Angeles Chargers    18.4
Los Angeles Rams        18.7
Carolina Panthers       18.8
New England Patriots    20.0

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Except maybe from soul surfer
I don't think he's better than Goff, I never said that.
Just right off the rip, Goff physically has a stronger arm which does not limit the game plan or alter the type of plays you have to run.

Do I enjoy watching posters change the goalposts and nitpick for small minor flaws because he actually can play when they blamed him for being the majority of the problem last year?

No not really, I'm just happy for Case and I knew he could play and win in the right situation.

Playing for Fisher was NOT the right situation. :D

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Simply applying your logic to Goff. Fact is, both are playing on teams with good defenses. Which makes it easier for a QB to look good.
Again like I did you asked what did Keenum look like last year ... not who was the better QB was last year .

Ultimately I believe Goff is the better QB .. he can do what Case does .Case cannot do what Goff does

Like I said .. I like cases grit determination his plucky little engine that could attitude ... but if Bradford/Bridgewater dont get hurt he doesn’t sniff the field this year

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like I said .. I like cases grit determination his plucky little engine that could attitude ... but if Bradford/Bridgewater doesn’t get hurt he doesn’t sniff the field this year
Not only that, but had Bradford came back after Case lost 2 of his first 3 starts, he likely would have been run out of town once Teddy was healthy...