What to make of this news? CB McKelvin in for workout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If a player used to play in Buffalo the Los Angeles Rams are interested.
shuffle%20buffalo.jpg

WestCoastRam

Legend
Maybe they feel like they can add with some of the cap savings from switching Gaines for Watkins?

Anyone think there's a possibility that AD doesn't sign this year and just plays out the year on his current contract?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Anyone think there's a possibility that AD doesn't sign this year and just plays out the year on his current contract?

Honestly, I don't see how a new Donald contract could fit under our current CAP. We barely have over $2.mil in CAP space. Unless a new contract doesn't go into effect until 2018 or the Rams trade TruJo, i'm just not seeing it. jmo.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
One thing I will say is, I am VERY impressed with Snead and co. for continuously keeping their options open and not settling on our roster. Flipping every possible stone over and excercising every option this off-season has been very refreshing!!

Go Rams!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, I don't see how a new Donald contract could fit under our current CAP. We barely have over $2.mil in CAP space. Unless a new contract doesn't go into effect until 2018 or the Rams trade TruJo, i'm just not seeing it. jmo.
I'm no cap guy, but his cap hit for 2017 is currently 3+ mill. So If he's signed to a deal with a huge signing bonus that gets spread out over his deal and a low base year 1, its conceivable they could work it out

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm no cap guy, but his cap hit for 2017 is currently 3+ mill. So If he's signed to a deal with a huge signing bonus that gets spread out over his deal and a low base year 1, its conceivable they could work it out

I'm using Spotrac and they currently have us at $2.8mil under the CAP, ... but that's the top 51, not 53, so that would knock off at least another $1.mil+. jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm using Spotrac and they currently have us at $2.8mil under the CAP, ... but that's the top 51, not 53, so that would knock off at least another $1.mil+. jmo.
2.8 under and his current hit is 3.2 so they could work out a deal with cap hit of 6 mill and be good

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
2.8 under and his current hit is 3.2 so they could work out a deal with cap hit of 6 mill and be good
While the Rams generally prefer to front load contracts, the first year is usually less costly to the CAP than year two and three, but even with that, I don't see any possible way they can get his numbers down to $6.mil for 2017. I thought there was also a 20% rule where each successive year of the contract couldn't be more than 20% higher/lower than the previous year. Just taking a stab at it, i'll guess his contract is in the $120mil/7 year range with a guarantee of $70.mil. You can likely get a few million under what Tru Johnson is making for the 1'st year, but it will get brutal in the years following. $6mil, ... I don't think it can be done.

Also, are you sure Donald's $3.225mil is being counted against the CAP ? Spotrac has him off the regular roster and in the Reserve/Did not report column. I'm too lazy to get out my calculator and run the numbers on the top 51 CAP projections. jmo.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wild theory #1....we sign him, Wade turns him into a starter in 3 days, and we deal Tru to clear room for AD, as well as get an OL from Steelers.....right?

All wrong. Sign him, trade Tru to Chicago (who have the 30th ranked secondary according to PFF) for Kyle Long who's been getting into fights with teammates after the whole Nazi march thing, then sign Donald, win the Super Bowl and tell everyone "Guys, we're young, and that was fun, wanna do it again? Lets hook you up but not destroy our cap so we can keep the band together.

Become dynasty, win 6 SuperBowls with Jared Goff, mourn the death of New England as massive suicides overtake the region, and then laugh all the way to Canton to watch them remove whatever statue of Brady they'll make to replace it with Goff.

That's how you get wild.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
While the Rams generally prefer to front load contracts, the first year is usually less costly to the CAP than year two and three, but even with that, I don't see any possible way they can get his numbers down to $6.mil for 2017. I thought there was also a 20% rule where each successive year of the contract couldn't be more than 20% higher/lower than the previous year. Just taking a stab at it, i'll guess his contract is in the $120mil/7 year range with a guarantee of $70.mil. You can likely get a few million under what Tru Johnson is making for the 1'st year, but it will get brutal in the years following. $6mil, ... I don't think it can be done.

Also, are you sure Donald's $3.225mil is being counted against the CAP ? Spotrac has him off the regular roster and in the Reserve/Did not report column. I'm too lazy to get out my calculator and run the numbers on the top 51 CAP projections. jmo.

It would put a strangle hold on The Rams salary cap.

Is there a chance Tru gets traded ??

I don't really see it , but stranger things have happened.

Webster & Robey both missed practice,
and EJ Gaines just got traded. Tru needs to be eased up before the season. There is competition .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've seen the Rams at 2 mill under the cap for awhile now, and that has been including Donald 3.25 hit so I'm assuming that's accurate. If not, and he shows up they'd be over the cap right??
In any event, as I've said, I'm not the cap guy but Suh's contract, 6 year, 115 mill with 25 mill signing bonus and 60 mill guaranteed had a 1st year cap hit of 6 mill so if Donald would be in same ball park, it appears he could fit. And that doesnt even consider any restructure deals that may be also being worked on.
I've seen it written way too many times that the cap wont prevent him from signing a contract extension

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They realized, "oh shoot, we just traded a decent corner back and we don't have the secondary depth that everyone claims we do"...LOL

Unlikely. Wade's no clown. No way the Rams are going to move anyone on defense without having a good read on impact and feeling good about it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kyle Long who's been getting into fights with teammates after the whole Nazi march thing

Knew he'd been in fights with teammates, but know nothing about the rest you allude to.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at Mcelvins draft profile, apparently the guy was an absolute stud at returning punts at Troy state..I mean crazy good. He is 31 so I'm sure he's lost a step, but he was clocked at 4.38 in the 40. Maybe a return special teams guy who can offer solid backup at the corner. I was not impressed by anybody we had returning kick offs or punts during the Dallas game.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've seen the Rams at 2 mill under the cap for awhile now, and that has been including Donald 3.25 hit so I'm assuming that's accurate. If not, and he shows up they'd be over the cap right??
In any event, as I've said, I'm not the cap guy but Suh's contract, 6 year, 115 mill with 25 mill signing bonus and 60 mill guaranteed had a 1st year cap hit of 6 mill so if Donald would be in same ball park, it appears he could fit. And that doesnt even consider any restructure deals that may be also being worked on.
I've seen it written way too many times that the cap wont prevent him from signing a contract extension
If I recall correctly, it may be the guaranteed money which makes the difference. I thought that the guarantee had to be divided by the years of the contract and then be applied equally to his yearly salary, then the remainder of the contract money could be pushed back or forward, however the CAP master of the team wanted to make it work. If Suh's guaranteed money was only $25mil, his first calculation could be as much as 2/3's less than a $70mil guarantee, it would be much simpler to backload Suh than Donald. I don't know where the $70mil in guaranteed money originally popped up from, I've only read it here, so i'm just speculating on figures bandied about on this forum. If Donald's guarantee demands are closer to Suh's numbers, signing him under the current CAP just got much easier, but the backload would be something terrible. jmo.