What To Expect From Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. And you also didn't see much from Bruce in the two seasons before Warner emerged. Is it fair to say we may not know what we have yet in Britt, Quick, TA, Cooper, and Gurley?

Bruce was injured. He had 1200+ yards in the 17 games he played.

But you're right. We don't know what we have. Britt is on pace for 1200+ yards this year with Keenum.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Britt is on pace for 1200+ yards this year with Keenum.

raw

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I hope this board and the Coliseum doesn't go into a cosmic meltdown if he throw 3 ints (one a pick 6) and fumbles twice...That's not at all outside the realm of possibility...Hope the 3 ints are TDs and the 2 fumbles are throw it aways...I just have no idea what to expect, though honestly I'm keeping my expectations low and my hopes high...Come on Goffmeister knock 'em dead...
Don't see it happening.If it does,I will be cheering just as hard as the beginning of
the game.I know what he is capable of and if that requires a little more patience then so be it.
I have also seen how he responds to games like you mentioned.The kid doesn't miss a beat
and keeps coming at you.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Bruce was injured. He had 1200+ yards in the 17 games he played.

But you're right. We don't know what we have. Britt is on pace for 1200+ yards this year with Keenum.
Jrry, how you feelin bout this week end?You have been pounding the Goff drum as loud as
anyone.If I said iI was pumped about it I would be lying,because "pumped" just doesn't begin
to explain how I feel.Not sayin I think he is going to set the world on fire Sunday,but
this in my opinion is the beginning of something special.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/17/...jared-goff-los-angeles-rams-debut-first-start

What to Expect in Jared Goff’s Debut
A quick look at how the Rams will shape their offense for No. 1 overall pick’s long-awaited debut, and what the Dolphins defense has in store for the rookie
by Andy Benoit

jared-goff-debut.jpg

Stephen Dunn/Getty Images

No one knows what to expect from Jared Goff. But we can surmise what to expect from the elements around him. The offense Goff takes over: It can’t run the ball (the O-line gets no movement) and it lacks wide receivers who can create on their own. That’s a bad combination, and it might have contributed to why Goff rode the bench so long.

So what are the Rams to do? For starters, expect them to continue trying to run the ball—not so much because it’s the tough, spirited approach, but because if you’re weak at wide receiver, then more of your passing game must take place on running downs and out of running formations when the defense is most predictable and playing extra linebackers instead of corners. But those running downs and running formations only help the pass if you’re actually doing what those formations suggest: running from time to time.

The Dolphins are a pure zone defense, which makes them that much more predictable on first down. The most common zone coverage you see here is Cover 3—zone with a single-high safety. Rams offensive coordinator Rob Boras has done smart work calling plays that specifically exploit Cover 3. Often these have involved play-action rollouts. You’ll see those Sunday because, besides attacking the predicted coverage, rollouts also slice the field in half for the quarterback.

Almost always, the quarterback has to read only the side he’s rolling to. The beauty of moving the pocket like this is it also negates Los Angeles’s disadvantage along the offensive line. As long as the widest edge defender is controlled, either via block or play fake, the pass rush is unlikely to get home.

Early down play-action out of running formations—that’s been the name of the game for Los Angeles, and it is more than ever this week. When Goff isn’t doing these, expect to see Tavon Austin on quick strikes—Boras’s other favorite first down tactic.

Swing passes, screens, slants—these all give the QB only one read (simple as it gets) and force the ball out of his hand, which is how rhythm is established. We’ll see how the No. 1 overall pick does with these aids against a rising Dolphins defense.

Miami at Los Angeles

Dolphins: The rich got richer: Just when defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and especially Jordan Phillips have started playing really well, unheralded veteran stud Earl Mitchell has returned from a calf injury suffered in Week 1. Mitchell played 31 snaps against the Chargers last week and jumped off the screen a number of times.

Rams: Jared Goff is ready… we hope. His first game comes against a Dolphins defense that has often just lined up and played straight zone coverages, aiming to out-execute (as oppose to outsmart) opponents. But three weeks ago, when the Dolphins faced an undeveloped field-reader in Tyrod Taylor, we saw selective use of different fronts and pressure concepts, which were very successful. The Rams must have Goff prepared for this.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry, how you feelin bout this week end?You have been pounding the Goff drum as loud as
anyone.If I said iI was pumped about it I would be lying,because "pumped" just doesn't begin
to explain how I feel.Not sayin I think he is going to set the world on fire Sunday,but
this in my opinion is the beginning of something special.

I'm excited. Although, it's taking a backseat right now because I'm on vacation in SC hanging with old college buddies for the weekend.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm hoping for the best from this kid, but if you read my sig....this is where my concerns lie.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's right AFC Championship Rookie Season and Superbowl the 2nd Season. I'd take that.
Well they lost in the first round in his rookie year, not the AFC championship, after blowing a first half lead, but he was a beast and lets hope Goff does the same

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. And you also didn't see much from Bruce in the two seasons before Warner emerged. Is it fair to say we may not know what we have yet in Britt, Quick, TA, Cooper, and Gurley?
Isaac Bruce caught 200 passes for 3,000 yards and 20 td over 2 seasons with Chris Miller, Mark Rypien, Dave Barr, Tony Banks, Steve Walsh and Jamie Martin throwing passes at him though....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-736027-goff-offense.html

We can argue till the Vince Lombardi Trophy is hoisted in Houston next February the reasons for – and the dynamics and merits of – the Rams’ decision to finally hand their quarterback keys over to rookie Jared Goff.

The former Cal Golden Bear will make his long-awaited debut at the Coliseum Sunday against the Miami Dolphins. More than eight months after the Rams identified him as the future face of the franchise, it’s Goff’s turn to finally make good on their faith and investment.

In the process, prop himself up alongside fellow rookie quarterbacks Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott, who have lapped him over the first 10 weeks of the season.

And maybe, just maybe be the catalyst to a Rams revival.

“It’s been a long time, it feels like, since I’ve gotten out there and played,” Goff said. “I’m excited to get back out there and play.”

We can debate whether Jeff Fisher should have pulled the trigger sooner to replace Case Keenum with Goff, the first overall pick in April’s draft and a quarterback the Rams invested six draft picks into acquiring.

Or argue he should have held off even longer.

There are valid points to either position.

But there is sobering evidence to suggest Fisher and the Rams aren’t just right in their decision, they really had no choice. That is, if they still have hope of turning their season around and pointing themselves back in the direction of a playoff run.

Which they absolutely do.

Consider this: The Rams are averaging 15.2 points per game and haven’t scored two touchdowns in a single game in more than a month. In fact, they’ve managed to cross the opposing team’s goal line just twice over the last three games.

That’s abysmal by any measure.

To put those bleak numbers in perspective, think about it along these lines: The Rams have won four games this year while scoring the least amount of points in the NFL. Even the winless Cleveland Browns are averaging more points than the Rams, which, when you think about it, is astounding.

More than that, though, it points out how outstanding the Rams’ defense has been while surrendering just 19.2 points per game. That’s 10th best in the NFL, and it’s reflective of a defense that rests within the top 10 in most pertinent categories.

Week after week, the defense has delivered performances worthy of victories. And game after game, they’ve put the Rams in position to win.

But an offense challenged to strike fear in opponents vertically, unable to punish them on the ground and incapable of consistently scoring touchdowns simply couldn’t hold up its end of the bargain.

Another season has gone sideways as a result. But there is still time to get straightened out.

Which brings us back to Goff, for which so much is eventually expected but a lot is presently needed.

“He’s the No.1 pick. We traded a lot away to get him to be our future,” Fisher said. “And it’s his turn now.”

Goff doesn’t need to be Tom Brady the next seven games, and it would be foolish to expect nothing but smooth sailing as he settles in as a starting quarterback in the NFL.

That’s not realistic.

But it’s not unreasonable to have expectations, especially when you consider what Prescott and Wentz have done with the Cowboys and Eagles.

The Rams felt Goff was the superior player to those two, and still do. It’s why, upon trading up from No. 15 in the draft to No. 1, they decided on Goff over Wentz.

That Goff wasn’t as ready as Wentz and Prescott to start the season isn’t an indictment of Goff’s skill level as much as it was the transition from the offense he ran at Cal to what he does now with the Rams. It was never about arm strength or talent. It was commanding the offense and learning to play under center and recognizing defensive pressure points and offensive line protection calls.

And those things take time.

Goff made significant strides on the mental side of things over the last month or so and took that progress to the practice field, where he’s been flourishing now for a while.

It all came to a head in the Rams’ final practice before the bye week. Goff got the majority of first-team reps and put on a dazzling performance in which his gifted arm was on full display.

More importantly, he was decisive and in command of the huddle and at the line of scrimmage.

“I think it was one of the turning points,” Rams offensive coordinator Rob Boras said. “Obviously any time that you get extended reps, you have a better time to evaluate. We kept talking about the classroom, classroom, classroom, but now you got more reps against the first-team defense. So it definitely helped us see where he was and helped part of the evaluation process.”

Two weeks later – and two more weeks of the offense at a virtual standstill under Keenum – the Rams are turning to Goff.

Not just to get him much-needed experience over the next seven weeks with an eye on 2017 and beyond, but to provide the offense with a shot in the arm.

The Rams have been playing with one arm tied behind their back for weeks now, and inexplicably have still been competitive in every game they've played.

If Goff can just lift the offense even just a little bit and help increase the point average from 15 to 20 or so, it could make all the difference. The Rams believe he is capable of doing that, insisting they won’t scale back the offense in the least. If anything they’ll expand it even more as a result of Goff’s arm strength and skill set.

That should make for an interesting day at the Coliseum on Sunday.

And maybe the catalyst for a final push over the last seven games.

Contact the writer: vbonsignore@scng.com