What to do with Gregg Williams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
With the money invested in Barron, you need to bring in a guy who runs a Big Nickel. Unless you're ready to let McDonald walk and move Barron back over to SS.

Of course, you don't hire a coach to fit your personnel, but that's something to consider.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the money invested in Barron, you need to bring in a guy who runs a Big Nickel. Unless you're ready to let McDonald walk and move Barron back over to SS.

Of course, you don't hire a coach to fit your personnel, but that's something to consider.
Exactly I think that's the big thing we need someone that can utilize the pieces we already have.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I had been on the "keep Williams" bandwagon for a while but that position has softened in the wake of a few beatdowns lately. I don't totally blame him, but part of me is thinking that it just might be better to clean house.

That being said, one part of the house I would like to see remain is Waufle, he's the best in the business and he seems to have made the best of every piece he's been given.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Gone with the tide.

OFC we remain a 4-3 team.

But Tree needs to be moved to the wide side to better utilize his splash play abilities.

And we're going to need a FS... and a healthy secondary.

Haven't been this excited about the Rams since draft day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd let the new coach decide. Personally, I'd lean towards letting him go. As the year has gone on, it seems like his scheme has gotten too predictable. There are a lot of things I like with him. He truly adapts and schemes around his personnel. But there are some things I don't like. But I wouldn't push him out the door.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
In my opinion, everyone must go, aside from Fassel.

Williams is an extension of Fisher. I don't think the defense is the problem. It's the offense. But Williams must go.

I agree except that I believe that to a lesser degree the D IS part of the problem...Before I hear the too much time on the field thing, William's D has been pretty much too inconsistent for my liking...I would like the new coach to surround himself with his own guys, taking away the excuse that he was saddled with the Fisher crew...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'll be happy for a wholesale change really. I think Williams' D has been worked out - we were supposed to be dominant, especially upfront, but we haven't been - we've got a D-line full of high picks - we really should be feared. We've given QBs time to make plays. Thats no good. AND I agree with @Mikey Ram above - our D inconsistency really drives me mad. I believe that is down to the coaching.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't believe Fisher and Williams have been taking advantage of our defensive strengths. Sometimes it seems they negate our pass rush by playing 5 yards off the receivers. We give up a ton of yardage going downfield, waiting for the other team to make a mistake, and then we tighten up in the red zone. I get it. I just think playing tight coverage would result in more sacks. IMHO
They play off because they don't have capable corners

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They play off because they don't have capable corners
They play off because they have a stout D-line. That gives the corners the ability to keep the plays in front of them and jump routes on hurried throws. At least that's *supposed to be* the staple of the Buddy Ryan defense.

lockdnram21

Legend
They play off because they have a stout D-line. That gives the corners the ability to keep the plays in front of them and jump routes on hurried throws. At least that's *supposed to be* the staple of the Buddy Ryan defense.
I think it's a little of both.... When Jenkins was here it seemed like he had more freedom

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think it's a little of both.... When Jenkins was here it seemed like he had more freedom
He absolutely did. He was the only guy they let play press coverage on defense. I saw you disagreed with my statement about Buddy Ryan's defense, but that's really how it's built. A strong D-line, a highly athletic MLB, and then plug-n-play corners. Obviously you'd want to have great corners too, but it's the defensive line that gives you flexibility on the backside.

lockdnram21

Legend
He absolutely did. He was the only guy they let play press coverage on defense. I saw you disagreed with my statement about Buddy Ryan's defense, but that's really how it's built. A strong D-line, a highly athletic MLB, and then plug-n-play corners. Obviously you'd want to have great corners too, but it's the defensive line that gives you flexibility on the backside.
I didn't disagree I just think its a little of both

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I didn't disagree I just think its a little of both
Oh. That's my bad. I thought you gave me the ole'
dislike2.png

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Gone with the tide.

OFC we remain a 4-3 team.

But Tree needs to be moved to the wide side to better utilize his splash play abilities.

And we're going to need a FS... and a healthy secondary.

Haven't been this excited about the Rams since draft day.
I thought Ogletree had played really well at MLB.
Ideally whoever comes in thinks to put Joyner at FS, Gaines at nickel corner and bring in another outside starting CB (or see what Jordan has to offer, he played quite well in Foxboro)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It would be best that our new HC would have the option of hiring whoever he would prefer that would best fit in & blend in with his skills & talents to be successful.

Our new HC may desire to run a 34 defense too. I do recall Gregg running 34's too. I just believe that Gregg has failed to fully utilize the talent of this defense the last two seasons. But I do not have great heartburn if the new HC decides to retain Gregg.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
In my opinion, everyone must go, aside from Fassel.

Williams is an extension of Fisher. I don't think the defense is the problem. It's the offense. But Williams must go.
The only think that makes the ST a plus is Hekker. I don't see much of anything Fassel does to make the ST special.
He can stay though too.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Unfortunately. ... it's up to the new incoming coach.....and if they hire a 3-4 coach.... we will lose a lot of existing players as they don't fit that scheme. ... ala....Buffalo Bills after they let Swartz go......also be interesting to see how new coach handles Robert Quinn....who seems to be a shell of former self..... and has missed as many games( at least it seems that way) as he has played the last 2 years.

Go Rams....... :/

Lesson

Oh, really?
The only think that makes the ST a plus is Hekker. I don't see much of anything Fassel does to make the ST special.
He can stay though too.

Hekker is an amazing punter, but the punt coverage unit has been great as well.

Don't forget Fassel is the one that broke Hekker/GZ in. He's been their unit coach since Day 1 of their NFL careers. GZ doesn't have the same reputation Hekker(his might have been higher than Hekker's when he was known as Legatron during his rookie season, but that's a different season), but I'd argue that GZ is also an above average kicker and that the staff, whether it be Fisher or Fassel, has learned GZ's limitations and that you can't consistently trot him out for 50+ yard attempts, even though he has the leg for it.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
It would be best that our new HC would have the option of hiring whoever he would prefer that would best fit in & blend in with his skills & talents to be successful.

Our new HC may desire to run a 34 defense too.
Which is why the first evaluation has to be of the D.
Is it a top 10 unit? Is the D line still the strength of the team? Is Quinn damaged goods at this point?
If all that is deemed to be good I am not hiring a coach who runs a 3/4. I would not weaken a strength.