What the hell about the refs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambition

Rookie
Second, I think the rules are just too complicated. It's to the point where the refs have too much heaped upon them, and they're only human. Every year the NFL changes the rules around and seems like they add more and more to the pile refs need to manage, what with concerns over player safety and whatnot.

i think you've really hit on the crux of the problem.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well, you're the only one.

--Sims defensive holding that negated his own sack--even the announcing team panned that call.
--Sims roughing passer--he hit Romo's shoulder, not his head.
--No delay of game penalty--twice.

Numerous, uncalled offensive holding calls prevented our blitzes from succeeding.

Sims hit make contact with the helmet, but it wasnt much.

They got the number wrong, I beleive.

IDK about the offensive holding, but I'm sure there was a lot. Made no dam sense how that heat wasn't even getting close. That's a no call...

I wasn't watching the play clock in the dome so IDK.

In the end, we didn't shut the door. That's all there is to it, for me.

duckhunter

Starter
This is the hold that wasn't called on the TD to Bryant.
View attachment 3330
When you compare this blatant holding to the two penalties against Sims how can anyone say there is not partiality, inconsistency, incompetency or unfairness on the part of the refs. These examples make a mockery of the letter of the law. As far as I'm concerned anything the NFL says is hollow and reeks of excuses.

The NFL product is deeply flawed and getting worse.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
ByIpXNCIYAAPiMO.jpg:large

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
When you compare this blatant holding to the two penalties against Sims how can anyone say there is not partiality, inconsistency, incompetency or unfairness on the part of the refs. These examples make a mockery of the letter of the law. As far as I'm concerned anything the NFL says is hollow and reeks of excuses.

The NFL product is deeply flawed and getting worse.
I realize that refs can make mistakes...it's human. But when EVERY SINGLE TERRIBLE CALL goes against the Rams you have to wonder.

Seriously, when was the last time the refs made a blatantly bad call that went in favor of the Rams?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
In a three point game just the bad spots changed the outcome,penalty yards are the same length as rushing or receiving yards ,aren't they?

We played well enough to win without the bad calls ,hell on the roughing call he threw himself to the side to avoid any further contact.
Then again the field goal we just threw away made us have to be more desperate at the end.Just a f-ed up damned thing that leaves a bad taste for two weeks.
Next up Philly and if they don't find a way to protect Foles better we may see Sanchez .

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
I didn't like a lot of the calls, but I also don't like letting Dez Bryant run FREE for 15 yards. Blaming the refs can only carry so much water. That's 7 points absolutely gifted by McCleod, not the zebras.

I'm not sure how much that defensive holding call changes things in the grand scheme, but it definitely had an impact on field position and the clock.

:mad: I'm pissed too, but this team did plenty of things to earn that loss. Hopefully they'll be able to put a heated game behind them after the bye.
The problem with that is as an athlete you wanna be the reason you lose not because of a bad call. If I'm Cook I can buy myself one of those football tossing machines and practice catching but I will be a circus clown before I buy a ref glasses to help him do his job. What's worse is they all huddle up and still get it wrong. It's the ridiculously bad calls that are frustrating. They change momentum and momentum is everything in sports period.

KLM0817

UDFA
Name
Kevin
Stop blaming them (the refs) guys...you guys are sounding like bitch-ass 69er fans...our Defense blew it...end of story.
Our defense did NOT blow it -- I wonder how much of the trigger-happy flag throwing is Goodell's and the ref's way of being very aware that Greg Williams is the Rams defensive guy? aka the guardian of bounty-gate. And so ANYTHING the Rams do, that is even close to being a penalty, now draws a flag -- even if it is not a penalty. Something to ponder.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I sympathize with Bolden. But, I can't help but ask "how does it feel?" The 9ers have been getting calls for years.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is the hold that wasn't called on the TD to Bryant.
View attachment 3330

If Fisher doesn't send this to the league office and raise holy hell, then fck him. I'm tired of him so passively accepting the refs bending us over and f'ing us in the ass. This is blatant, it's obvious, and it's ridiculous, and it has a significant affect on the game.

Where's my blood pressure meds.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Believe me nobody gets more upset with officiating than I do, however, when you're a good team you overcome those penalties, but when you're not, they kill you and you put them under a magnifying glass. Keep in mind they should've called tripping on Jenkins which resulted in a turnover, but the call against Romo to the head and the call against Sims for holding was just plain horrendous.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
No, dude. Give me one bad call...

One that was soft was roughing the passer on Romo. Technically there was contact to the QB's helmet. That is how the league wants it called...

We had them down, didn't put'em out, and it's on us.

Why the hell the blitz never got home is beyond me. Romo had time and that's what pizzes me off more than anything. Our blitz was toothless. Makes me wonder if they were that good or we just wasn't getting it done on the rush.
incorrect. glancing blows don't count AND he hit the shoulder pad anyways. Even mike perrera said it was wrong. then you had Britt get a holding call when he jacked up a DB during a run play ZERO holding. then how on earth do you explain holding on Sims??? If that was holding then flags should have been flying all over the field against the Dallas Oline. I'm being serious did you actual watch all of the game? cus I did and replayed every one of those calls. they weren't judgment calls in any way they were completely made up!

rick6fan

UDFA
The answer to all of this is simple. Put the head referee in the box. Review every play just as us fans do. Call to referee on field...on the headset they already wear...pick up stupid obviously blown flag...This doesn't eliminate the human element, or the judgement call, just gives the ref in charge a better look.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
They should not count your challenge if you were correct, each team could still get 2 per half but if the call is reversed due to a challenge, that challenge is given back to the team. So you can challenge as many penalties as the officials blew before the challenge. Eventually the league would have to do something to make the officials accountable for their blown calls as the number of calls overturned would lengthen the game by as much as an hr on average, and if the NFL wants to shorten that they just have to get the calls right and quit makin crap up.
That's how I see it. If they officials can't get the calls right, they deserve to be embarrassed like that on national TV.

It may not stop them from strategically missing calls, like holds against our defensive line, but it at least slows down the BS calls against and give a team some semblance of controlling their own destiny.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Believe me nobody gets more upset with officiating than I do, however, when you're a good team you overcome those penalties, but when you're not, they kill you and you put them under a magnifying glass. Keep in mind they should've called tripping on Jenkins which resulted in a turnover, but the call against Romo to the head and the call against Sims for holding was just plain horrendous.

Sorry, but you can't fall back on that one. The game has to be called clean and the playing field has to be level. It's hard even for a good veteran team to overcome some of the calls that went against us yesterday and have been going against us this year. The holding call against Sims on the sack late was beyond atrocious and cost us a chance to get the ball back in good field position. Sims did what someone from a good team should do - he made a play at a critical time of the game. The refs, either through gross incompetence or malfeasance, decided to take the play away. How do you overcome that? How do you blame the team for not making a play when they DID make a play and it was taken away from them?

You might argue that Jenkins got away with one, but then again, so did the Cowboys on the blatant hold against Langford shown earlier in this thread.

And what about four, (4!!!) Dallas first downs due to penalty? While we can all agree out D could have played better, you have to wonder how different the numbers would have looked had Dallas drives not been extended by questionable, if outright horrible penalties (like the roughing call). In all three games this year, the opposition has had at least one scoring drive extended by a questionable penalty on the Rams.

You can say all you want about how good teams overcome that, but at some point it becomes too much to overcome.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If Fisher doesn't send this to the league office and raise holy hell, then fck him. I'm tired of him so passively accepting the refs bending us over and f'ing us in the ass. This is blatant, it's obvious, and it's ridiculous, and it has a significant affect on the game.

Where's my blood pressure meds.
Crazy thing is I'm sure he and every coach in the league does this every week, and every week they ignore it.

Heck, they probably take the tape out and throw it straight into the shredder, just like the evidence they had against the Patriots.