What Should we do with Greg Robinson-POLL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What Should the Rams do with Greg Robinson This Offseason

• Cut Greg Robinson

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Keep Greg Robinson at LT

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Keep Greg Robinson and move him to Guard

Votes: 84 54.9%
  • Trade Greg Robinson for anything you can get

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • Demote to Practice Squad

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Havenstein - Grade 2 high ankle Sprain (Moderate) (early October)
The ole saying, are you hurt or are you injured? If you are injured, you can't play. If you are just hurt, and can play, no excuses. Listen, I was the same way when I saw that guy Houston from KC take Joe Barksdale's lunch money a few years ago...You can't have guys blocking for your QB with an effort like that. I'd rather he held Vic Beasley than let him take off on Goff like that...play after play.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This in not on the poll, but coach him up and put him in the best position to succeed. I was never a GRob fan but he is good enough to man one of the five spots on the line.

If you ask me he has the physical skills to succeed and play well even at LT. The issue I see with him and most of the line is communication. More often than not the issue with this line are not players getting beat 1 on 1 but situations where a player needs to help, pick up a stunt. The amount of mis assignments is staggering. As the Rams have fallen out of contention, the more I have watched the line. I have been amazed at the amount of times a play breaks down because of a lineman not blocking the right person or not picking up a simple loop stunt.

Its a small window but the last 3 games I have seen a some big issues with Saffold and Robinson. Those 2 rarely get beat one on one, the issue I see on the left side are defenders coming unimpeded and it is usually because one of them missed an assignment. I see them talking and see Goff pointing there way yet the play still breaks down.

If I am the next coach I do film study with Robinson and find out what is going on in the brain. Make sure he knows how to read the line calls and if he doesnt, they need to work with him to get him better at it, because he has the physical tools to get it done.

I honestly think the scheme has screwed this entire OL. When they had to go simpler last year, they opened holes for Gurley even without a passing game and gave up among the fewest sacks in the league.

Sorry, I know the horse is dead... But feel free to take a few whacks. If you can stand the smell, it's pretty cathartic...

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
The ole saying, are you hurt or are you injured? If you are injured, you can't play. If you are just hurt, and can play, no excuses. Listen, I was the same way when I saw that guy Houston from KC take Joe Barksdale's lunch money a few years ago...You can't have guys blocking for your QB with an effort like that. I'd rather he held Vic Beasley than let him take off on Goff like that...play after play.

Hey lachamp! Not knocking you here at all!

I have to say, whoever made up that ole saying, really didn't know what they were talking about. There are definitely a couple of members of the OL who are soldiering through some significant injuries that have either put others on IR or out for several weeks and it is impacting their play, although you won't hear or read about it in the media or hear excuses from them. I've seen a lot of bashing of the OL, some rightfully deserved, some not so much. Everyone should remember there are always many more things going on behind the scenes than is ever reported in the media or by the coaches.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
The only real thing to do... Slap some sense into him!
200.gif

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A swift kick in the a$$ and a smack up side his head might knock some sense into him . That's what my dad did with me when I acted stupid .

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I honestly think the scheme has screwed this entire OL. When they had to go simpler last year, they opened holes for Gurley even without a passing game and gave up among the fewest sacks in the league.

Sorry, I know the horse is dead... But feel free to take a few whacks. If you can stand the smell, it's pretty cathartic...

I agree, I posted in another thread, they have mix matched talent. 1/2 these guys are better suited for man blocking and the other half ZBS. They have 2 guys starting that probably would excel in man and 3 in ZBS.

To me the fix is easy, pick a scheme and put the proper players in for that scheme. It has a lot to do with why our oline does not look prepared to play each week.

Individually the talent is there, collectively there is none and that falls on the staff IMO.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Guard, It's a much more natural position for him. Inside he's in a confined space and it lets him use his brute strength to dominate players. Just out man the man in front of him.
But does being inside stop the mind numbing senseless drive killing penalties is the real question. If he can't stop those he won't play.
Whoever the new coach is , he didn't draft him or need validation from his play. He's not going to risk his job on another coaches mistake.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Greg Robinson will be here next season due to the contract. I am 100% against planning to have our 4th season with GRob starting @ LT. I want to start fresh on resolving a major issue with our OL not keeping up with Fisher & Boudreau tradition of trotting a very low skilled low end NFL LT out to start & have the same results as we have had the last 3 seasons. That just too silly to contemplate IMO. Thinking GRob can be refurbished or retrained to get the technical side of being a good LT is evidently not going to happen in less than 6 months. Grob just does not get it most seem to think that Boudreau is worthless as a OL coach well he has been ineffective but the fault is not with Boudreau! Its GRob:mad:!

I certainly have no issues with a plan to keep GRob as a reserve LT. I do not see GRob being a better OG than OT. Moving him inside does nothing but provide him some cover & cloaking from the refs eyes but GRob is not interior OL material. Sure he can play OG for a short time but he will not produce good results.

My plan for GRob in 2017 is to work him as our swing OT & see how he does @ Right OT. Rams will need a swing third OT anyway why not use the near 7 million of his contract demands & see him he can be that swing OT. Havenstein is one big question at the moment we have no ideal what we have there so lets flip GRob to compete with Rob Havenstein, Andrew Donnal & Isaiah Battle & see what happens if GRob is even worse @ RT then he would be our 2017 version of what Pace Murphy was this season.

Going to agree with you, tho I want him to try G first. The game Donnal was forced to be used at LT, he graded out as high at a position he hadn't played since HS as Grob does.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Tony Mandarich is considered one of the biggest draft busts of all time, but few know he played pretty well for the Colts at guard for many years.

Wouldn't surprise me if GRob gets moved inside by the next coach and does pretty well.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tomas, Havenstien's injury goes back to before OTA's. He didn't participate in pre season workout until the last week and didn't play in a preseason game until game 4.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Everyone concerned about the OL has to understand that it's not just the Rams who have problems with their OL. It's a league wide dilemma and it's getting worse. Offensive linemen coming out of college are just not prepared to play in the NFL. Who do you replace GRob with? Ming vase Saffold? Look what happened when they put GRob in NO. he got hurt (many here at ROD predicted that, but the coaching couldn't see that coming?)
Almost every NFL team will be looking for OL help. 43 has a point, how do all the Rams OL take a step backwards? The answer points right at coaching.

Will GRob get with LeCharles Bentey's program again this offseason? I sure hope he considers it. Will the new coaching staff bring him along?

Believe me I'm as fed up as everyone else with OL problems. I blame coaching, though players deserve blame too. Some, Barnes especially give it 110%, but just aren't starting material and get handled. Havenstien tried, but it was obvious he was playing hurt (again, bad coaching).

I've cited a few blatant coaching errors, I'm sure there are many more. Just saying that new coaching for the OL might just show an improvement. I agree with 43.

I can unequivocally say Saffold is a better LT than G Rob. I dont think Saffold got hurt because he was playing tackle. He missed one game and he is back, no biggie. The foolish thing the coaches did was deactivating G rob, because saffold is the third tackle and with him starting there was contingency plan.

GROB did the Le Charles Bentley thing last year and still has way too many technical errors. The guy is too raw to be doing so many different things and learning from different people. The Rams need to hire good O line coach and G Rob should just stick to his program.

IMO G Rob hasn't taken a step back he was just as bad last year. However, it does reflect poorly on the coaches that he has not progressed at all. At this point in the year everyone in the NFL is hurt, I cant put Havenstein playing injured on the coaches.

Bottom line is the team cant count on him to be a starter anywhere along the line. He has to earn anything he gets by competing with Saffold and Havenstein at tackle or somebody at guard if the new staff thinks he is better fit there.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You don't cut talented players. You just don't. Greg's issues are mental with the penalties. And Rob Havenstein is only a 2nd year player. Let him develop before knee-jerking and calling for him (and Greg) to be cut.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Definitely without a doubt move him to Guard, instantly.
Re-evaluate near the end of his contract.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Barrison, never bring up we could have drafted Mack again, I beg you. I love me some Khalil ugh

:puke::sadwalk:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Barrison, never bring up we could have drafted Mack again, I beg you. I love me some Khalil ugh

:puke::sadwalk:
Me too bro, me too... Damn, I can't even imagine our defense plus Mack. It would've been nastyyyy. But then again we'd probably still have Fisher, double-edged blade.

Rams77

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So consensus is to move #73 to Guard. I agree. I would be willing to try again at LT if our new HC knows what he's doing and coaches him up correctly.
I have never seen a Franchise have such a hard time finding a decent LT in the drafts first round. Alex Barron, Jason Smith, GROB. Man the football gods have been cruel to this team since Orlando Pace. Effectively 3 franchise QBs have been or may be potentially ruined by this problem-Bulger,Bradford and hopefully not Goff. This problem has to be fixed. Man I miss the great Oline in the Mid 80's and GSOT-seems like so long ago.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The OL coach hire is probably the biggest one on the staff this offseason tbh, right there with OC. They're gonna bring in a good interior OL in FA, but they can't reload this OL in one offseason, so guys like Havenstein and Brown need to play and play well.

Saffold cannot be counted on and worse he's not really a good OG outside of his contract year BS performance. Roger's a RT. But the new staff is going to set him to the side in their planning and go forward with the assumption "how does this look if RS is hurt" because that's the expectation. Then if he plays well, fine. But otherwise, we have the depth.

Center will be drafted, if they're smart, because that's a position you can get into mid-rounds. That plus a solid vet FA at Guard and the question remaining is who the F will play LT. Yeah, LT is gonna be a problem which is why that OL coach hire looms so big for us. I'll have to look at the OT FAs again I suppose, last time I did it made me want to throw up.