What Should we do with Greg Robinson-POLL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What Should the Rams do with Greg Robinson This Offseason

• Cut Greg Robinson

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Keep Greg Robinson at LT

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Keep Greg Robinson and move him to Guard

Votes: 84 54.9%
  • Trade Greg Robinson for anything you can get

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • Demote to Practice Squad

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think jrry32 nailed it.

No upside to cutting him.

Probably can't trade him for anything significant.

Let the new coaching staff sort it out as to his pecking order at either OT position, or at OG.

Or as a backup.

Sure would love to have a do over on that pick! Lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm keeping him at OLT.

In a scenario in which the offense is revamped and productive, a whole lot of players suddenly look better. I'm looking at you GRob, Gurley, Tavon, and Goff.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
For a underperforming player entering the last year of a rookie contract it will be "put up or shut up time".

It is no coincidence that players often exceed expectations during that time and that provides some hope.

Perhaps a move inside would provide even more.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Greg Robinson will be here next season due to the contract. I am 100% against planning to have our 4th season with GRob starting @ LT. I want to start fresh on resolving a major issue with our OL not keeping up with Fisher & Boudreau tradition of trotting a very low skilled low end NFL LT out to start & have the same results as we have had the last 3 seasons. That just too silly to contemplate IMO. Thinking GRob can be refurbished or retrained to get the technical side of being a good LT is evidently not going to happen in less than 6 months. Grob just does not get it most seem to think that Boudreau is worthless as a OL coach well he has been ineffective but the fault is not with Boudreau! Its GRob:mad:!

I certainly have no issues with a plan to keep GRob as a reserve LT. I do not see GRob being a better OG than OT. Moving him inside does nothing but provide him some cover & cloaking from the refs eyes but GRob is not interior OL material. Sure he can play OG for a short time but he will not produce good results.

My plan for GRob in 2017 is to work him as our swing OT & see how he does @ Right OT. Rams will need a swing third OT anyway why not use the near 7 million of his contract demands & see him he can be that swing OT. Havenstein is one big question at the moment we have no ideal what we have there so lets flip GRob to compete with Rob Havenstein, Andrew Donnal & Isaiah Battle & see what happens if GRob is even worse @ RT then he would be our 2017 version of what Pace Murphy was this season.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Can Saffold ever play LT again at a high level for a full season? If so I'd be ok with moving him to guard. Other than that, I'm sorry to say it but he's probably our best option at tackle. For all he's been labelled a 'bust' - he's not a complete washout. He's just not as good as we hoped he was going to be. There are worse guys starting in this league.

According to PFF he is the worst.

I think moving him inside suits him better. Less movement and he can use his power more.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Greg Robinson will be here next season due to the contract. I am 100% against planning to have our 4th season with GRob starting @ LT. I want to start fresh on resolving a major issue with our OL not keeping up with Fisher & Boudreau tradition of trotting a very low skilled low end NFL LT out to start & have the same results as we have had the last 3 seasons. That just too silly to contemplate IMO. Thinking GRob can be refurbished or retrained to get the technical side of being a good LT is evidently not going to happen in less than 6 months. Grob just does not get it most seem to think that Boudreau is worthless as a OL coach well he has been ineffective but the fault is not with Boudreau! Its GRob:mad:!

I certainly have no issues with a plan to keep GRob as a reserve LT. I do not see GRob being a better OG than OT. Moving him inside does nothing but provide him some cover & cloaking from the refs eyes but GRob is not interior OL material. Sure he can play OG for a short time but he will not produce good results.

My plan for GRob in 2017 is to work him as our swing OT & see how he does @ Right OT. Rams will need a swing third OT anyway why not use the near 7 million of his contract demands & see him he can be that swing OT. Havenstein is one big question at the moment we have no ideal what we have there so lets flip GRob to compete with Rob Havenstein, Andrew Donnal & Isaiah Battle & see what happens if GRob is even worse @ RT then he would be our 2017 version of what Pace Murphy was this season.

Are you an Oline coach? Just wondering how you know so much...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I usually agree with you on the OL Boni, and I understand the frustration with GRob, but I suggest we all reserve judgement until we see what the new coaching staff does and what GRob does with the offseason. Will he get with Bentley's program again? We saw marked improvement the last part of last year.

I'm more worried about Havenstien. He was clearly favoring his foot. Might he be having surgery this offseason?

fearsomefour

Legend
Not enough of a savings to cut him.
Moving him to G would be a disaster given what his issues are.
I'm keeping him at LT, hiring a new O line coach and bringin in some competition for him.
He either wins his LT spot or rides the bench.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

You are my favorite "go to" guy regarding OL matters, Bonifay.

But I favor letting the new coaching staff sort all this out.

Let's let the GRob chips fall where they may, IOW.

Let me riddle you this...

Why in the world would all 5 OL starters simultaneously take a step backward in '16? This dilemma is far more than just about GRob.

I don't see any way that it's not at least significantly related to coaching. Therefore, new coaching might enable the Rams to dramatically improve their OL play.

Sooooo...

GRob could be starter at LOT or riding the pine in '17 or somewhere in between.

FRO

Legend
I selected moving him to OG. The only problem is finding a quality LT. With a weak draft class and no first round pick it will be difficult. I doubt there will be much in free agency either. Maybe you give him one more chance at LT. It's a difficult situation because he hasn't proven himself to be a quality starter at the position.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

Why in the world would all 5 OL starters simultaneously take a step backward in '16? This dilemma is far more than just about GRob.

I don't see any way that it's not at least significantly related to coaching. Therefore, new coaching might enable the Rams to dramatically improve their OL play.

Sooooo...

It sounds like Havenstein has been playing hurt all year long, and he was kind of the steadying influence on the line last year (as well as their best lineman). Stuff like that can have a ripple effect on a unit.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I selected moving him to OG. The only problem is finding a quality LT. With a weak draft class and no first round pick it will be difficult. I doubt there will be much in free agency either. Maybe you give him one more chance at LT. It's a difficult situation because he hasn't proven himself to be a quality starter at the position.

Sign UFA Andrew Whitworth (Bengals) buy us some time at LT and then go from there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Sooooo...

Good Afternoon Rams 43...:santa:Oh yeah the HC, OC & OL coach all have a big element into this current poor situation. It was them that went with GRob & gave us this disaster @ OLT....just happens to be the same position as most here favor. Keep on with keeping on with what our current Ram coaching staff desire.

I am done with that, way past time to find some resolve here & I would bet everything I own & my reputation here that if you depend on GRob to resolve the ongoing issues @ OLT your just adding to the problem & delaying the resolvement. Of course the new regime will resolve it but I want to help them (whomever they are out here;)).

I will have you my detailed thoughts on this 2016 OL saga later this evening I have a terminally ill family dog that is taking my time up today but I will get back with you my friend to solve the riddle(y)....Ok?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Unless the Rams plan on signing Andrew Whitworth and make him the oldest tackle in the league the Rams are probably not going to find an LT outside of what we have now because this is a bad tackle draft.

IMO move him to RT and let him compete with Hav who has been very disappointing of late, looser gives us decent depth as a 3rd tackle. Depending on who the coach is Hav may not be attractive at RT especially if a guy like Kyle Shanahan is hired and installs a zone blocking system. Maybe some real competition lights a fire under G Rob

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really know anything, because I question the quality of coaching...On first blush, I would say that Robinson is a talented freak, but is below average between the ears. I do believe that he has a desire to play and get better, which is a huge positive. This whole team plays undisciplined, which indicates a lack of coaching to me....

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
IMO with a new coaching staff Saffold is going to be one of our starting tackles, because there aren't many ways we can upgrade the tackle position this off-season because teams dont let good tackles go and it is bad tackle draft. Saffold has experience on the outside and he can play there effectively. I have seen some people suggest that we cut Saffold, but IMO you cant cut your best lineman, even though thats not saying alot on this team, when the rest of the o-line needs to be upgraded. Guard is one of the deeper positions in FA and good scouts can always find a passable starter in different areas of the draft. Tackles are harder to come and Saffold may be the best option available at LT if not RT.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think a guy his age is going to want to sign with a team that hasn't won since 2003. Maybe he would.

It's L.A., everyone wants to play in L.A.;)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Everyone concerned about the OL has to understand that it's not just the Rams who have problems with their OL. It's a league wide dilemma and it's getting worse. Offensive linemen coming out of college are just not prepared to play in the NFL. Who do you replace GRob with? Ming vase Saffold? Look what happened when they put GRob in NO. he got hurt (many here at ROD predicted that, but the coaching couldn't see that coming?)
Almost every NFL team will be looking for OL help. 43 has a point, how do all the Rams OL take a step backwards? The answer points right at coaching.

Will GRob get with LeCharles Bentey's program again this offseason? I sure hope he considers it. Will the new coaching staff bring him along?

Believe me I'm as fed up as everyone else with OL problems. I blame coaching, though players deserve blame too. Some, Barnes especially give it 110%, but just aren't starting material and get handled. Havenstien tried, but it was obvious he was playing hurt (again, bad coaching).

I've cited a few blatant coaching errors, I'm sure there are many more. Just saying that new coaching for the OL might just show an improvement. I agree with 43.